Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

heaven 17 play to win the virgin years

Re: heaven 17 play to win the virgin years

Postby BigManRestless » Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:04 am

Gary Russell wrote:
BigManRestless wrote:I was waiting for the replacement discs before starting playing the whole set. Unfortunately the first disc also has errors on it. I'm Your Money and The Height Of The Fighting (He-La-Hu) are not the original single mixes. I don't where these mixes originated from, but it's bloody annoying that whoever put this together didn't know what they were doing.
The proper single mix of The Height Of The Fighting is the one on the 3" cd of Fascist Groove Thang.

So this misses off the proper single versions I'm Your Money, Are Everything, Height Of The Fighting and We Live So Fast.

Someone somewhere (maybe not on here, maybe on SDE) suggested that HotF was the mix from Higher and Higher

I think that was me! Though I don't have it I remember selecting tracks from it on a jukebox and being surprised it wasn't the versions I was expecting. Maybe the I'm Your Money version came from there too. When I ripped the disc to iTunes I assumed the longer playing time on I'm Your Money was down to having the BEF ident at the end, but no, it's just slightly longer from the 7" mix. I'll have to check the versions on the Best Of CD/DVD that came out about 10 years ago.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Moribund » Sun Jun 09, 2019 4:01 pm

Gary Russell wrote:
BigManRestless wrote:I was waiting for the replacement discs before starting playing the whole set. Unfortunately the first disc also has errors on it. I'm Your Money and The Height Of The Fighting (He-La-Hu) are not the original single mixes. I don't where these mixes originated from, but it's bloody annoying that whoever put this together didn't know what they were doing.
The proper single mix of The Height Of The Fighting is the one on the 3" cd of Fascist Groove Thang.

So this misses off the proper single versions I'm Your Money, Are Everything, Height Of The Fighting and We Live So Fast.

Someone somewhere (maybe not on here, maybe on SDE) suggested that HotF was the mix from Higher and Higher

Yeah, originally from Endless. From poking around on Spotify, I found this mix of HotF on several H17 compilations. But the 1992 Best of Heaven 17 seems to have the proper original single version that should have been here.

I've previously heard two versions of I'm Your Money-- the extended version which has been appended to releases of Penthouse and Pavement, and a shorter version that was on the first Heaven 17 album in the US. I'm Your Money in the box set sounds normal to me, so I think the US album is where it originates from, the times match. Back to Spotify, on a couple of compilations I found a shorter version of I'm Your Money that sounds different to me, that must be the single version you were expecting?
Moribund
Take On Me

Postby BigManRestless » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:44 am

The change on I'm Your Money comes in around 2:24 into the track - an extra instrumental section for about 18 seconds.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:21 am

I didn’t know there was a third version of Money
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby BigManRestless » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:08 am

humanracer wrote:I didn’t know there was a third version of Money

Nor did I until yesterday.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Moribund » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:18 am

OK, so I just checked the US first Heaven 17 album, and I'm Your Money there is yet another version. It's identical to the box set version up until 2:24, then instead of the instrumental section it repeats the chorus. But after the 18 seconds they are identical again to the end, overall length the same (about 3:30).

The 3:18 or 3:19 Money on these compilations--

https://www.discogs.com/Heaven-17-Highe ... ster/63091
https://www.discogs.com/Heaven-17-Tempt ... se/3109812
https://www.discogs.com/Heaven-17-Great ... ter/154474

-- is the Extended version faded out early.

So what's on the 7" single?
Moribund
Take On Me

Postby humanracer » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Which of the two 7” version was released as a digital bonus on P&p?

Odd as I assumed this 3:17 12” edit was the 7”

Great info.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Moribund » Mon Jun 10, 2019 4:21 pm

humanracer wrote:Which of the two 7” version was released as a digital bonus on P&p?

Odd as I assumed this 3:17 12” edit was the 7”

Great info.

Just checked beatport.com which is still selling a digital 7" version ("2006 digital remaster"), and it's the one on the box set-- 3:30, with the instrumental bit at 2:24. So I'm guessing that the original 7" had the 3:30 version that is also on the US Heaven 17 album, and somehow during its 2006 remastering, the instrumental bit got inserted in place of a chorus. And, the 3:17 edit of the 12" was created for the the earliest of those compilation albums and has been recycled on the later compilations.

But what we really need is for someone who has the actual 7" single to give it another listen and chime in as to what's on it.
Moribund
Take On Me

Postby BigManRestless » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:12 am

BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby ZippY » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:35 pm

BigManRestless wrote:This is the 7" single version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgEGaLx ... gs=pl%2Cwn

Never heard this one but it's a nice edit. By the way: have received my 5 replacement discs today. Happy with it.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby dlgladwin » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:04 am

I emailed Demon this morning, and got a very speedy response. I said:

Dear Demon

Further to the acknowledged issues with five discs of the above title - https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/heaven-17-cd-issues/ - please could you confirm whether new stock being shipped includes the replacement discs as a matter of course, or new purchasers must get in touch to request the replacements?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

They replied:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Demon Music.

New purchases will still require replacement discs.

With thanks,
DMG

So there we have it.
-----------------
Read what I'm writing?
dlgladwin
Take On Me

Postby BigManRestless » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:07 am

Maybe Edsel (or someone competent) could issue a complete Virgin singles CD, that mops up all the actual singles versions left off this box? The actual singles versions...I'd be happy to quality control it, as I'm sure would plenty of other people here.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Moribund » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:49 am

The 2006 digital remastering changed the "I'm Your Money" single, replacing a chorus with an instrumental bit. I wonder if any other songs were altered during the 2006 remastering?
Moribund
Take On Me

Postby Surly » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:25 pm

dlgladwin wrote:I emailed Demon this morning, and got a very speedy response. I said:

Dear Demon

Further to the acknowledged issues with five discs of the above title - https://www.demonmusicgroup.co.uk/heaven-17-cd-issues/ - please could you confirm whether new stock being shipped includes the replacement discs as a matter of course, or new purchasers must get in touch to request the replacements?

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

They replied:

Hello,

Thanks for contacting Demon Music.

New purchases will still require replacement discs.

With thanks,
DMG

So there we have it.

I just bought this yesterday at Amoeba in Hollywood. It includes the corrected discs (they all have REWORK in the matrix). There's nothing on the outer package to notate that it includes corrected discs; all I can say is that this one did not have the red hype sticker on the front of the package.
"Words like conviction can turn into a sentence"
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby negative1 » Wed Nov 18, 2020 3:57 pm

Just got the boxset. Very nice package.
Love the booklet.

They are still giving out replacements discs.

I've already listened to the tracks, so i'm good on those.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations