Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Most Disappointing Obscure Albums

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Most Disappointing Obscure Albums

Postby Seona85 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:16 pm

Often, I come across a great new wave track from a band I've never heard of. I look them up, and am thrilled to see they released an album. After tracking it down however, it turns out the album totally fails to measure up to the great track. This is especially bitter if the track gives the impression that I would enjoy anything produced by such a band.

Roaring Boys (S/T)

House of Stone is a great song, though the single version is definitely superior to the album version. Roxy Music inspired, great instrumentation and rather unique vocals. The album on the other hand... is bad. the slower tracks are good: Strange Girl, Persuasion and in particuar, Again & Again. But the rest of it is just a plain awful attempt at pop rock, completely discordant with the other songs. It's not unlistenable, but the quality is down there with the most throwaway shlock. Oh, and don't go hunting for B-side gems. They aren't much better.

The Way Moves (Favor & Disgrace)

The main disappointment of this one is how good the first album is. The band's self-titled effort is profoundly enjoyable, with several memorable tracks, and vocals reminiscent of the Furs. The followup does away with any keyboards and goes for a more guitar-heavy sound, failing to leave any kind of impression. I think there is only one track on here worth replaying: Sons of the Highway. The rest is a snoozefest from a band capable of better.

When In Rome (S/T)

Does this even need comment? Their hit isn't obscure, but the album itself probably qualifies. The Promise is great. Sight of Your Tears, Something Going On, Heaven Knows, and Child's Play are reasonably enjoyable, but the rest is what I'd describe politely as utter trash and borderline unlistenable, so even if they get 5 good songs, its completely drowned by the abysmal quality of what's attached.

Picnic At The WhiteHouse (The Doors are Open)

We Need Protection is a gem in my view and I was greatly excited to hear the whole album. To my shock, while I enjoyed Little Lady and Heaven (which sounds like Copeland's work), the rest is very lackluster or just plain bad. Turn over this rock and you'll find little to write home about.

Twelve Drummers Drumming (S/T)

This one actually managed to annoy me. I love We'll be the Last Ones to death. Brilliant track, very foreboding and ominous to listen to. The video is also great. But this album is trash. Only one other song is worth listening to (I think it's called Have You Heard It?) The rest is either forgettable or unlistenable to a greater extent than When In Rome. I don't know if they were trying to be experimental, but it came out terribly.

So what are some of your disappointing obscure albums?
Seona85
Take On Me

Re: Most Disappointing Obscure Albums

Postby Qbertqubes » Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:52 am

I usually do not comment but I am sorry, you are way off on this one. When In Rome is one of the best Debut albums of the 80's Every song is great! Roaring Boys is not disappointing only just the fact that it is not on CD. Twelve Drummers Drumming is an amazing album as well. I am sure the others on your list are also better than you recall. Give them all another try.
Qbertqubes
Personal Jesus

Postby WLR » Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:44 am

I remember buying Dave Ball's (Soft Cell) solo album "In Strict Tempo", when it was released in the early 80s, I was so looking forward to listening to it, when I did I was shocked, it is the biggest pile of drivel ever to be released, bad is not a strong enough word to describe it, it has gathered dust ever since or I may have even binned it, definitely the worst album I have ever bought.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby fictionfactory1984 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Yeah... not a big fan of When In Rome at first, but I have to say that the original LP (except for the 4th track on both sides which I can't resist to skip when I listen to it) is great, specially for "Wide Wide Sea" nice gem hidden on side B.
fictionfactory1984
Take On Me

Postby Seona85 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Yeah, on second listening, Wide Wide Sea is good. Maybe its not such a disaster. Stand by the other ones though.
Seona85
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions