Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The associates Perhaps 2cd deluxe

The associates Perhaps 2cd deluxe

Postby thunderbird2 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:02 am

Good news and another 12" version on CD off my want list ( those first impressions)

Lets hope this is one of Cherry Red's good remasters (seems it is off of the masters)

Just need WIN's UH tears baby re-released in 2020 ( still don't understand why they did freaky trigger) and I will be a happy boy

Description

Additional information

Tracklist

35 years after its original release comes this 2 CD digipak edition of the band’s third studio album “Perhaps” plus related bonus tracks.

The Associates were leading lights of the NEW POP movement from the early 1980’s. Hailing from Dundee on the east coast of Scotland, the band signed to Fiction Records before spells working with and recording for both Situation Two and WEA Records.

Originally released in February 1985 after exhaustive recording sessions, Billy Mackenzie finally followed up the 1982 Associates album Sulk with this 10 track offering. The album was a long time in the making and featured four different producers, Heaven 17’s Martyn Ware, Martin Rushent, Dave Allen and Greg Walsh.

Disc One features the 10 original album tracks plus four instrumentals that were included on the original cassette release of the album. These bonus tracks are appearing on CD for the first time.

Disc Two features all the related bonus tracks for which master tapes still exist. This includes the extended versions of singles ‘Those First Impressions’, ‘Waiting For The Loveboat’ and ‘Take Me To The Girl’, plus single versions of ‘Waiting For The Loveboat’, ‘Breakfast’ and ‘Take Me To The Girl’. Other tracks include 7” and 12” b-sides.

Housed in a digipak containing a 20 page page booklet, a UK discography and extensive sleeve-notes written by Andy Davis.

• 2 CD collection re-mastered from the original master tapes

• Featuring the single versions of ‘Waiting For The Loveboat’, ‘Breakfast’ and ‘Take Me To The Girl’

• 12” extended versions of ‘Those First Impressions’, ‘Waiting For The Loveboat’ and ‘Take Me To The Girl’

• First time on CD for the extended versions of ‘Those First Impressions’ & ‘Waiting For The Loveboat’; the instrumental versions of ‘Perhaps’, ‘Breakfast Alone’, ‘Take Me To The Girl’, ‘Thirteen Feelings’ & ‘The Stranger In Your Voice’ and the b-sides ‘Perhaps Perhaps’, ‘Schampout’ (Edit) and ‘The Girl That Took Me’.

TRACK LISTING

DISC ONE: PERHAPS + BONUS TRACKS
1. THOSE FIRST IMPRESSIONS
2. WAITING FOR THE LOVEBOAT
3. PERHAPS (DAVE ALLEN REMIX)
4. SCHAMPOUT
5. HELICOPTER HELICOPTER
6. BREAKFAST
7. THIRTEEN FEELINGS
8. THE STRANGER IN YOUR VOICE
9. THE BEST OF YOU
(BILLY MACKENZIE & DAVE ALLAN REMIX)
10. DON’T GIVE ME THAT I TOLD YOU SO LOOK
11. PERHAPS (INSTRUMENTAL) (BONUS TRACK) *
12. BREAKFAST ALONE (INSTRUMENTAL) (BONUS TRACK) *
13. THIRTEEN FEELINGS (INSTRUMENTAL) (BONUS TRACK) *
14. THE STRANGER IN YOUR VOICE (INSTRUMENTAL) (BONUS TRACK) *

DISC TWO: BONUS TRACKS
1. THOSE FIRST IMPRESSIONS (EXTENDED VERSION) *
2. WAITING FOR THE LOVEBOAT (SINGLE VERSION)
3. WAITING FOR THE LOVEBOAT (EXTENDED VERSION) *
4. WAITING FOR THE LOVEBOAT (SLIGHT RETURN)
5. PERHAPS PERHAPS *
6. SCHAMPOUT (EDIT) *
7. BREAKFAST (SINGLE VERSION)
8. BREAKFAST (EDIT)
9. KITES
10. TAKE ME TO THE GIRL (SINGLE VERSION)
11. TAKE ME TO THE GIRL (12” MIX) *
12. TAKE ME TO THE GIRL (INSTRUMENTAL) *
13. THE GIRL THAT TOOK ME *

* denotes appearing on CD for the first time
thunderbird2
Personal Jesus

Re: The associates Perhaps 2cd deluxe

Postby omar » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:04 am

I have the 2cd Perhaps/Glamour Chase. Will definitely get the Perhaps expanded version too because of the bonus material. Anything by McKenzie is great.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:27 am

discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:48 am

It seems like all that is missing are the [great] live @ Ronnie Scott's Club tracks from the "Take Me To The Girl" 10" single.

• God Bless The Child (Live At Ronnie Scott's)
• Dogs In The Wild (Live At Ronnie Scott's
• The Boy That Santa Claus Forgot (Live At Ronnie Scott's)

A slight disappointment but the 12" versions, especially "Waiting For the Loveboat's" nerve shredding climax, on CD will compensate. Also nice to see Cherry Red exercising restraint in sourcing masters. Specifying where songs were not used if they could not source a master tape was encouraging.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby discoginfo » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:34 am

Also "Breakfast" from this gig at Ronnie Scott was released in 1985 on the EP "The Sounds/WEA Christmas Cracker".
The complete song list performed during this legendary 30-minute performance were: This Flame, The Crying Game, God Bless the Child, No, Even Dogs in the Wild, Breakfast, The Little Boy That Santa Claus Forgot.
The best would be to have this on DVD!

There are more associated (pun intended) "rare" tracks released that are not on this 2-CD, likely because they never found the master tapes
(also there was perhaps no more space available)

- Billy MacKenzie sings Orbidoig: Helicopter Helicopter 5.21 (various artists cassette PLEASANTLY SURPRISED! 'an hour of eloquent sounds') (1982)
- The Associates featuring Billy MacKenzie: Aggressive and Ninety Pounds 4.25 [early version of Thirteen Feelings] (various artists NME cassette MAD MIX II) (1983)
- Those First Impressions 4.50 [unique version from 3" CD-maxi Heart of Glass, 1988]
- Breakfast 5.02 [unique version from 3" CD-maxi Heart of Glass, 1988] (or perhaps this is the "Edit" on CD 2?)
- Waiting for the Love Boat (Extended Voyage by Thomas Fehlmann/Marathon) 5.16 (1990/1991)
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby anfunny2003 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:40 pm

postpunkmonk wrote:It seems like all that is missing are the [great] live @ Ronnie Scott's Club tracks from the "Take Me To The Girl" 10" single.

A slight disappointment but the 12" versions, especially "Waiting For the Loveboat's" nerve shredding climax, on CD will compensate. Also nice to see Cherry Red exercising restraint in sourcing masters. Specifying where songs were not used if they could not source a master tape was encouraging.

I have 'The Boy That Santa Claus Forgot (Live At Ronnie Scott's)' on this easy to find compilation CD;

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Cool-Ch ... se/1145297
anfunny2003
Personal Jesus

Postby discoginfo » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:53 am

I wonder why this CD hasn't been mentioned/covered by superdeluxedition....?
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:06 pm

anfunny2003 wrote:
postpunkmonk wrote:It seems like all that is missing are the [great] live @ Ronnie Scott's Club tracks from the "Take Me To The Girl" 10" single.

I have 'The Boy That Santa Claus Forgot (Live At Ronnie Scott's)' on this easy to find compilation CD;

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Cool-Ch ... se/1145297

I know of that one. It's on the Endless Want List®. Though purchase would mean that The Eagles would be in my Record Cell! To not mention Tori Amos!
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby WLR » Fri Dec 06, 2019 3:01 am

:D A brilliant album, so pleased they have included the original cassette version instrumentals.

Just hope they do a good job of remastering it!
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby discoginfo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:42 am

Some people already own this CD, four have listed it as "Have" on discogs.com
https://www.discogs.com/The-Associates-Perhaps/release/14595918

The rest of us will have to wait.

It seems like track 8 on CD 2 "Breakfast (Edit)" is the version released on the 1988 CD-maxi Heart of Glass.
Hmm why call it "Edit" as it's a unique mix/version (5:02) (some sources say it's the original demo).
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby VicT » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:22 pm

But what about "Her Only Wish" from "Heart Of Glass" MCD, why do they decide to omit it? :?:
VicT
Running Up That Hill

Postby discoginfo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:26 pm

Her Only Wish is, of course, from THE GLAMOUR CHASE album sessions.
Which I hope will also see a 2-CD release soon!

JW
http://www.discog.info/associates.html
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby anemiccinema » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:04 pm

I will be getting this -- but wish they would have included some of the demos circulating around especially the tracks with Annie Lennox on backing vocals.
anemiccinema
Personal Jesus

Postby discoginfo » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:06 pm

I'm pretty sure the reason for not including any (home recorded) demos etc is that they are owned by Billy's estate, so that will be a separate release we can only wish for.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:30 pm

The samples on Qobuz sound alright. Can anyone confirm though if everything, especially Take Me To The Girl, is indeed from master tapes and not vinyl?
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations