Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Looking for two rare ABC vinyl only short mixes..

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: Looking for two rare ABC vinyl only short mixes..

Postby humanracer » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:18 pm

omar wrote:I think the 4:19 edit was not an official version. It was created specially for the Now... compilations.

Night was never on any of the Now compilations. It wasn't a big hit in the UK.

EDIT: oh I see there is a tag "now that's what I call all the hits". I think this is a custom compilation some user made. But I would like to know where this 04:19 version came from..
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:31 pm

I’m quite sure that it was a fan made edit.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby blaaah » Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:23 am

Might have been mentioned before, but does anyone know where the The real thing (3.56) version used on ABC2 and Tears Are Not Enough (Pickwick & Spectrum) came from. I'm tempted to say its' the Frankie Knuckles 7'' Mix, which would be unissued otherwise - anyone else agree or not?

Also, doesnt ABC2 have another unreleased version of something?
blaaah
Personal Jesus

Postby humanracer » Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:14 pm

omar wrote:I’m quite sure that it was a fan made edit.

I think it's from Canadian 7" but I don't have a rip of this to confirm
https://www.discogs.com/ABC-The-Night-Y ... se/3643275

Either way, the 04:19 edit was released on the German CD Don't stop the 80's - Vol. 02.

I don't think they would have made an edit just for that CD so it must have came from the archives..
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:47 pm

BTW was there a special edit for SOS? I thought that the standard LP version (4:48) was used for the 7". Yet on several Abc collections an edit version (4:30) was used. Was it an unreleased mix or just the LP edit?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:42 pm

omar wrote:BTW was there a special edit for SOS? I thought that the standard LP version (4:48) was used for the 7". Yet on several Abc collections an edit version (4:30) was used. Was it an unreleased mix or just the LP edit?

Oh good point. The "ba ba" background vocal section (you know what I mean) is 18 seconds shorter on the edit version. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

It seems only the Canadian 7” had this edit.
Last edited by humanracer on Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:44 pm

negative1 wrote:
bigarbel wrote:
humanracer wrote:Yeah I was confused because the discogs entry states...

I am afraid some of the comments on Discogs need to be taken with a pinch of salt. Not that the writer intentionally wants to confuse matters but rather that through the mist of time a lot of misinformation has been taken as fact.

i will take discogs information over anything else, any day.

at least people there care about music, and give lots of details.
and if they don't, people are there to correct it.

i know i posted about a several items, but i didn't have a picture and people questioned
if they were real (electronic - second nature US promo CD with exclusive mixes), and
then years later someone posted a picture to prove it was real.

it also happened with an underworld acetate of confusion the waitress i posted about,
and then someone posted a picture of that also.

later

Have you heard the radio edit on the DJ promo of the Night You Murdered Love? Are we 100% sure it's the same as the edit on the UK 12"??
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby omar » Sun Feb 16, 2020 12:11 am

At this point i'm guessing that the 7' edit (4:10) is the radio edit, promo edit or video edit. I have the German 12" single which has this version as a B side too. Maybe we should contact Martin Fry and ask him , lol? He probably won't know or doesn't care. A lot of these artists weren't even aware of all the various mixes except for the obvious ones.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:10 pm

OK, I now believe there are three or possibly even four edits of The Night You Murdered Love. I have listed them below by duration:

04:19 - This is taken from the 2002 German compilation CD "Don't Stop The 80s Vol 2" released by Warner music, now out of print.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dont-St ... e/10327018

It is highly likely that this mix originated from the Canadian 7" as it has the same duration. It's a different mix to the other edits. It has a final "love to love you" from the female backing vocalist before the final chorus from Martin. It also cuts out most of Martin's dramatic "yes you murdered love" at the end of the song. Instead he calmly speaks it.

My previous copy of this was from a bootleg "Now that's what I call all the hits" but I managed to obtain a 320 kbps mp3 rip from the 2002 CD.

4:10 - this is the "radio edit" /video version on various DJ promos. Sadly I only have it in 128 kbps mp3.

04:12 - this is the edit on the UK & German 12". While it may seem to be similar to the radio edit, there is at least one difference. The radio edit ends on strings but this one ends on a "synth note". There might be more small differences.

04:23 Finally there might be one other edit. The bootleg "Essential collection" which contains many promo or single edits contains a supposed "US Single Edit". The main differences are that there is only one "on the night you murdered love" at the start of the song before the first verse. In all the other versions it is repeated before the verse starts. This version also fades out.

If anyone wants all four versions, including the "upgraded" 04:19 version let me know and I will send you a link. If anyone has the 04:10 in better quality, please let me know.
Last edited by humanracer on Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby df118 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 4:58 pm

df118 wrote:
humanracer wrote:
negative1 wrote:Ok, about the Night You Murdered love (alternate mix).
-----------
Its basically the Radio Edit.

Canada got it on their 7 inch, and it appeared on a UK 7 inch promo.

It also appeared on several UK acetates.

It looks like the Album version was put on all the compilations, and almost every 12 inch,
and 7 inch version internationally.

For some reason, this edit was not used.

Also, somebody on Discogs, said their version was completely instrumental, but no one else
has it.

later

Yeah I was confused because the discogs entry states
It is not an edit of another mix and is not the same as the radio edit with the same duration that appears on some 7" promos.

It seems there is a lot of misinformation on ABC like the person who claims there are 2 7” instrumentals of how to be a millionaire. Or the supposed censored versions of a-z.

I think that instrumental of night is the bonus beats version. His copy might be a mispress

He is me. I think it is the same as the bonus beats...and I appear to have a mispress.

More interestingly, I have a rip from a video version that is very different at the end. I can't seem to find the video anymore on youtube, but it was aired on MTV or somesuch.

Can anyone identify a clean source for this video version?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n37bihce86ism ... i.mp3?dl=0
df118
Take On Me

Postby omar » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:36 pm

humanracer wrote:OK, I now believe there are three or possibly even four edits of The Night You Murdered Love. I have listed them below by duration:

04:19 - This is taken from the 2002 German compilation CD "Don't Stop The 80s Vol 2" released by Warner music, now out of print.

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Dont-St ... e/10327018

It is highly likely that this mix originated from the Canadian 7" as it has the same duration. It's a different mix to the other edits. It has a final "love to love you" from the female backing vocalist before the final chorus from Martin. It also cuts out most of Martin's dramatic "yes you murdered love" at the end of the song. Instead he calmly speaks it.

My previous copy of this was from a bootleg "Now that's what I call all the hits" but I managed to obtain a 320 kbps mp3 rip from the 2002 CD.

4:10 - this is the "radio edit" on various DJ promos. Sadly I only have it in 128 kbps mp3.

04:12 - this is the edit on the UK & German 12". While it may seem to be similar to the radio edit, there is at least one difference. The radio edit ends on strings but this one ends on a "synth note". There might be more small differences.

04:23 Finally there might be one other edit. The bootleg "Essential collection" which contains many promo or single edits contains a supposed "US Single Edit". The main differences are that there is only one "on the night you murdered love" at the start of the song before the first verse. In all the other versions it is repeated before the verse starts. This version also fades out.

If anyone wants all four versions, including the "upgraded" 04:19 version let me know and I will send you a link. If anyone has the 04:10 in better quality, please let me know.

Please sent link for these..
omar
Room at the Top

Postby humanracer » Tue Feb 18, 2020 5:22 am

Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:11 am

It is not an edit of another mix and is not the same as the radio edit with the same duration that appears on some 7" promos.

It seems there is a lot of misinformation on ABC like the person who claims there are 2 7” instrumentals of how to be a millionaire. Or the supposed censored versions of a-z.

I think that instrumental of night is the bonus beats version. His copy might be a mispress

He is me. I think it is the same as the bonus beats...and I appear to have a mispress.

More interestingly, I have a rip from a video version that is very different at the end. I can't seem to find the video anymore on youtube, but it was aired on MTV or somesuch.

It sounds like a mash up/mix. Do you remember anything about the video? Was it the normal promo vid? Did it merge into another video?
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby df118 » Thu Feb 20, 2020 5:16 am

humanracer wrote:-1

It sounds like a mash up/mix. Do you remember anything about the video? Was it the normal promo vid? Did it merge into another video?

The video has disappeared from YouTube. It was shown on some European chart show (based on some ovelayed idents). The video seemed normal until toward the end when the girls kept dancing in the warehouse - like it was going to be an extended mix - and looked like extra footage/camera angles - and no “conclusion” like in the normal video/edits
df118
Take On Me

Postby humanracer » Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:36 pm

df118 wrote:
humanracer wrote:-1

The video has disappeared from YouTube. It was shown on some European chart show (based on some ovelayed idents). The video seemed normal until toward the end when the girls kept dancing in the warehouse - like it was going to be an extended mix - and looked like extra footage/camera angles - and no “conclusion” like in the normal video/edits

Still no joy with this. I checked the RockAmerica and Videopool versions but they are both the standard video mix. It might be from Telegenics.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Previous

Return to Obscure 80s Central