Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Missing Persons - Dreaming (New Album)

Missing Persons - Dreaming (New Album)

Postby Sean » Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:47 am

Didn't see anyone post this but this is a pretty good album from Dale Bozzio and Missing Persons. It's a very synthpop/electropop album and is mostly cover songs but Dale does a great job on quite a few of the tracks. The only complaint I have is it sounds like it's just Dale and one synth guy doing all the music. Not much of a band and the name "Missing Persons" fits. :D Wish all the band members were still involved but Dale does manage to get the Missing Persons sound out. "Images Of Heaven" was extremely well done and is pretty much worth getting the cd for just by itself. A couple of other stand out tracks includes "Lipstick", "Dreaming" and "This Is The Day". I think Missing Persons fans will be happy with this one.

1) California Dreaming
2) Lipstick
3) Dreaming
4) We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
5) Playing With Fire
6) Just What I Needed
7) This Is The Day
8) Love Will Tear Us Apart
9) Images Of Heaven
10) Incense and Peppertime
11) This Time
12) In The Rain
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Re: Missing Persons - Dreaming (New Album)

Postby oldwaver2 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:39 am

I just got this CD today.
It is a mixed bag of Electro, Synthpop, Minimal and EBM.
Mostly cover songs.
Even though it doesn't sound like the "Band" Missing Persons,
it sounds like a solo effort featuring Dale Bozzio,
but with an early 80s Fem New Wave nod (Gina X, Lene Lovich, Nina Hagan, Krisma, Toyah)
Instead of trying be "modern" like the latest SSQ or Berlin releases
it sounds like an early 80s Techno-pop/Minimal recording.
It's one of the better "Modern" releases/recordings by an 80s artist lately.

"it has lot a good synths with gooder drum beats"

later
-1+1-2
oldwaver2
Take On Me

Postby Sean » Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:26 am

Totally agree with you buddy. I was hoping the Berlin and SSQ new stuff would be something like this. At least this sounds like Missing Persons.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:22 am

Sean wrote:Didn't see anyone post this but this is a pretty good album from Dale Bozzio and Missing Persons. It's a very synthpop/electropop album and is mostly cover songs but Dale does a great job on quite a few of the tracks. The only complaint I have is it sounds like it's just Dale and one synth guy doing all the music. Not much of a band and the name "Missing Persons" fits. :D Wish all the band members were still involved but Dale does manage to get the Missing Persons sound out. "Images Of Heaven" was extremely well done and is pretty much worth getting the cd for just by itself. A couple of other stand out tracks includes "Lipstick", "Dreaming" and "This Is The Day". I think Missing Persons fans will be happy with this one.

1) California Dreaming
2) Lipstick
3) Dreaming
4) We Gotta Get Out Of This Place
5) Playing With Fire
6) Just What I Needed
7) This Is The Day
8) Love Will Tear Us Apart
9) Images Of Heaven
10) Incense and Peppertime
11) This Time
12) In The Rain

Actually #10 is Incense and Peppermints, a classic Strawberry Alarm Clock song :D
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Chuck50 » Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:31 am

10) Incense and Peppertime is that lesser known song by MC Hammer from the Dr. Pepper commercials.
Do ... Do Do.. Do Peppertime! Do Do .. Do Do
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby Sean » Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:21 pm

Lol, that's what I get for typing instead of copying and pasting. Must have been auto correct or just me getting older. :) The other day, my daughter asked me how to spell "eraser", I spelled it "erasure".
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby elevatorman » Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:14 pm

The remake of Peter Godwin's "Images of Heaven" is one of the better remakes I've heard in a while. The style fits Missing Persons' and Dale perfectly.
elevatorman
Take On Me

Postby Willbfree » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:36 pm

Warren’s remake of “I Disconnect from You” Is so much better:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjQhDUF6YEI
It is from his album “Missing Person”. The rest of his album has his own vocals but despite that is quite good.

The new Dale solo album just makes me sad.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Chuck50 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:15 pm

I sometimes wonder if people now days disagree just to disagree or just to be different or pretend that they can think for themselves?
That Warren Cuccurullo recording is terrible! And that singer is even worse! I always wondered who do you have to shag to be in a music video? Now I know.
The Dale Bozzio Solo/Missing Persons recording is far superior! It's just nice she didn't do an EDM recording or Rap recording, trying to be relevant.
This reminds me of early 80s German New Wave.

Don't worry Willbfree, if you don't understand the musical reference.
You probability missed it because that was when you were going through your Twisted Sister phase.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby Sean » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:09 pm

Chuck50 wrote:The Dale Bozzio Solo/Missing Persons recording is far superior! It's just nice she didn't do an EDM recording or Rap recording, trying to be relevant.
This reminds me of early 80s German New Wave.

Well said Chuck50. I have a really hard time listening to modern day songs from 80s bands. This one was cool to the ears.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Willbfree » Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:53 am

To me the difference between the new Dale album and last year's WC album is that WC is a musical genius, whereas whoever is doing the music behind Dale is not.

Even without Dale, the sound of Missing Persons in that Gary Numan cover is unmistakable. Are you really hearing that in the Dale solo album? It sound generic to me.

Don't worry, Chuck50, I am not offended by pompous remarks from strangers who humble-brag that they liked German new wave when others liked Twisted Sister. Even if I'd liked Twisted Sister, I couldn't be offended by a High Fidelity cliche like that.
Willbfree
Take On Me

Postby Chuck50 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 12:18 pm

Me humble-brag, you form whole sentences.

Of course you wouldn't get it Willbfree.
Now go back to the kiddie table and let the adults finish their conversation.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 3:14 pm

You guys made me a big present with this! I was never a fan of Missing Persons, only kind of tolerated them - but, having read those positive comments, decided on a whim to check it out. I turned out to be very, very good! And so unexpected - never thought Dale would be interested in this kind of music, but here we are!

First of all, about the "generic" sound - it's called minimal, as in "minimal synth", and that's the zone the album heads into. Though it's not strictly "minimal synth" in a classiс sense, more a mixture of that with darkwave, gothic overtones and even some rockier moments on a couple of songs. But I like the sparseness of the arrangements very much - the sound is not piled on, it's has a room to breathe and complements vocals greatly.

Now, as a young man I had a hard time getting into Dale's style (the problem I didn't have with her image :roll: ) - seemed contrived to a fault, all that nerviness, squeaks and hiccups. Started to warm to it with passing years, though I'd still prefer more subdued style. Anyway, here she sounds very fitting - of course her voice and style mellowed, but still have this distinctiveness. And that's not only good by itself, it also does great job of informing the album with its own something, making it stand out. This kind of music is quite popular nowadays, but most of the singers are too samey and therefore kind of lost in the crowd :wink: With Dale it's the opposite, she stands out from the first notes. And my, does she sound great in this setting and with her style! I think the album goes into my priority listening for a while :D

I fully with those who highlight "Images of heaven". I recently caught some live videos by Peter Godwin where he sings it - as much as I adore the guy, it's pitiful. Here the job is done perfectly, like it was meant for them from the start! Wow! Actually the only thing I don't really approve is The Cars cover - very awkward, shouldn't have done that :wink: Maybe something darker from Ric and the guys, like "The cruiser", would've been more appropriate? Also "This is the day" somehow rubs me off the wrong way, but then I was never a fan of this song or The The in general. That's just me, though. Otherwise it's a great album - cohesive, atmospheric and involving. Top stuff! Recommend to give it a listen without reservations.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:03 pm

Passing_Stranger wrote:
I fully with those who highlight "Images of heaven". I recently caught some live videos by Peter Godwin where he sings it - as much as I adore the guy, it's pitiful. Here the job is done perfectly, like it was meant for them from the start!

i decided to give this song a listen just out of curiosity.

it's average to me, but then again, i'm not a fan of missing persons, or her voice.

but peter godwin likes it:
Peter Godwin
1 week ago
Hey guys! Thank you for covering my old tune! A nice surprise - cool version. Good luck with this. Love from Peter G
------------
to me, i like the classic missing persons songs from way back when, like 'give', which is my favorite song from them.

but since they're not doing much original here, i can't get into her singing other songs, especially when it
was male voices originally.

i prefer peters voice and the original.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Mar 31, 2020 4:55 pm

negative1 wrote:i prefer peters voice and the original.

Well, of course I do too. But MP didn't do a shoddy job, in fact it's an interesting twist, originally performed, and a surprising choice to boot. Thumbs up from me too :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations