Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

R.I.P. Florian Schneider of Kraftwerk

R.I.P. Florian Schneider of Kraftwerk

Postby Fred Taghon » Wed May 06, 2020 6:05 pm

A true modern music pioneer, Florian Schneider passed away today.

A very sad loss but what an ENORMOUS legacy. Not many artists can claim to have been so incredibly influential on decades of popular music with such a relatively small catalog of releases! Well done, and thank you for helping to bring the future to the present, always "ahead of it's time".
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Re: R.I.P. Florian Schneider of Kraftwerk

Postby Moribund » Wed May 06, 2020 6:33 pm

Yeah, I posted about this in the General New Wave forum. I've been reading a lot of obits and somewhere I saw something that said he died like a week or so ago and it was announced today. But so true, what a legacy! And I fear that despite the torrent of respectful accolades now appearing online from other musicians, there's a lot of people out there who still won't realize how influential he actually was.
Moribund
Take On Me

Postby Chuck50 » Thu May 07, 2020 6:59 am

The death of Florian Schneider should be front page international news.

When some hip-hop/rap underground "artist" dies in a car crash, it's in the news for over a week.

Florian Schneider, founding member of Kraftwerk along with Ralf Hütter,
the influence is seen and heard in many genres of music and also music related culture.
Early break-dancers (Late 70's-80's) developed moves to Kraftwerk music.
Early Hip-Hop/Electro/Rap modeled the syncopated beats of Kraftwerk (This style is still used today)
Early Hip-Hip hits used Kraftwerk' music along with funk and soul to build the foundation of hip-hop/rap music.

Many of the presets on modern synthesizers were derived from sounds Kraftwerk made by the use of early synthesizers that used patch cables/cords.

If you take the music of Kraftwerk and combined it with either Bowie or Brian Ferry style vocals you have 70's/80's New Wave/Synth-pop

If you think of how many derivatives of Dance and Electronic music have been influenced by Kraftwerk's music
they are easily in the top 20 all-time influential music artists of the 20th century.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Thu May 07, 2020 11:25 am

Chuck50 wrote:The death of Florian Schneider should be front page international news.

When some hip-hop/rap underground "artist" dies in a car crash, it's in the news for over a week.

Florian Schneider, founding member of Kraftwerk along with Ralf Hütter,
the influence is seen and heard in many genres of music and also music related culture.
Early break-dancers (Late 70's-80's) developed moves to Kraftwerk music.
Early Hip-Hop/Electro/Rap modeled the syncopated beats of Kraftwerk (This style is still used today)
Early Hip-Hip hits used Kraftwerk' music along with funk and soul to build the foundation of hip-hop/rap music.

Many of the presets on modern synthesizers were derived from sounds Kraftwerk made by the use of early synthesizers that used patch cables/cords.

If you take the music of Kraftwerk and combined it with either Bowie or Brian Ferry style vocals you have 70's/80's New Wave/Synth-pop

If you think of how many derivatives of Dance and Electronic music have been influenced by Kraftwerk's music
they are easily in the top 20 all-time influential music artists of the 20th century.

I saw it on the main entertainment news for Google news.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Thu May 07, 2020 2:37 pm

Exactly when did he die ? on some posts it says Apr. 30th.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Thu May 07, 2020 3:14 pm

omar wrote:Exactly when did he die ? on some posts it says Apr. 30th.

I have seen references to that as well. To be clear, I posted this topic the day it was announced, assuming that was the day he died. It would not be uncharacteristic for anyone in or near the Kraftwerk camp to withhold news or information from the media. So it is highly possible and in fact, probable, that he did pass days before it was publicly disclosed. One more bit of mystery (at least for now) that Florian himself would likely approve of, in true Kraftwerk fashion.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Glenn » Fri May 08, 2020 7:05 am

Glenn
Take On Me

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations