Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Florian Schneider RIP

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Florian Schneider RIP

Postby Moribund » Wed May 06, 2020 10:05 am

Moribund
Take On Me

Re: Florian Schneider RIP

Postby Chuck50 » Thu May 07, 2020 7:01 am

The death of Florian Schneider should be front page international news.

When some hip-hop/rap underground "artist" dies in a car crash, it's in the news for over a week.

Florian Schneider, founding member of Kraftwerk along with Ralf Hütter,
the influence is seen and heard in many genres of music and also music related culture.
Early break-dancers (Late 70's-80's) developed moves to Kraftwerk music.
Early Hip-Hop/Electro/Rap modeled the syncopated beats of Kraftwerk (This style is still used today)
Early Hip-Hip hits used Kraftwerk' music along with funk and soul to build the foundation of hip-hop/rap music.

Many of the presets on modern synthesizers were derived from sounds Kraftwerk made by the use of early synthesizers that used patch cables/cords.

If you take the music of Kraftwerk and combined it with either Bowie or Brian Ferry style vocals you have 70's/80's New Wave/Synth-pop

If you think of how many derivatives of Dance and Electronic music have been influenced by Kraftwerk's music
they are easily in the top 20 all-time influential music artists of the 20th century.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby wasproxy » Fri May 08, 2020 4:25 am

Great points Chuck

RIP to a true giant and legend ... “Unlike that bastard Jay-Z”

https://wxrt.radio.com/blogs/marty-rosenbaum/how-coldplay-convinced-kraftwerk-sample-computer-love
wasproxy
Take On Me

Postby bpdp3 » Sat May 09, 2020 1:12 pm

Agreed, many good points chuck50. Only thing I’d add is that while they were indeed incredibly influential, they were also so innovative. There really wasn’t much (if any) precedent for what they were doing. The sound and the image they projected.

But speaking of their influence, what is your favorite borrowing of their sound (or flat-out sample)? The band komputer made a career out of sounding like kraftwerk. Afrika bambaataa’s ‘Planet Rock’ is the always-mentioned example. I like late 80s house producer Todd Terry’s use of ‘techno pop’ on ‘back to the beat’
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby q89747 » Mon May 11, 2020 5:47 pm

wasproxy wrote:Great points Chuck

RIP to a true giant and legend ... “Unlike that bastard Jay-Z”

https://wxrt.radio.com/blogs/marty-rosenbaum/how-coldplay-convinced-kraftwerk-sample-computer-love

Haha now let's all hold our breaths until 'XRT plays another Kraftwerk song.
q89747
Personal Jesus

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions