Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Musik-music-musique dawn of synth pop

Re: Musik-music-musique dawn of synth pop

Postby MrOktober » Wed May 27, 2020 8:26 am

Chuck50 wrote:Post-Punk Monk is correct. I graduated in 1882 in Los Angeles and as early as 1978, "Wavos" and "Punks" used to call "Stoners"/ "Loadies" who were stuck listening to 70s Rock and Metal music. "Buttrockers" "Dirt Rockers" "Grunge" or "Dirt or Grunge Merchants" see the Wiki excerpt below. The "Buttrockers" refereed to "New Wave" music as "Disco and/or "Techno".

Plus the term "Synth-pop" or Synthesizer Pop isn't a far stretch. The bands used synthesizers so calling the music "Synthpop" which was sparingly used as far back as 1978, isn't that ingenious. Synth-pop as an encompassing term for the genre, took over about 1985 and replaced all of the earlier genre terms like New Romantic, Techno-Pop, Eletro, Minimal...

The word "grunge" is American slang for "someone or something that is repugnant" and also for "dirt".[12][13] The word was first recorded as being applied to Seattle musicians in July 1987 when Bruce Pavitt described Green River's Dry as a Bone EP in a Sub Pop record company catalogue as "gritty vocals, roaring Marshall amps, ultra-loose GRUNGE that destroyed the morals of a generation".[14] Although the word "grunge" has been used to describe bands since the 1960s, this was the first association of grunge with the grinding, sludgy sound of Seattle.[15][16] It is expensive and time consuming to get a recording to sound clean, so for those northwestern bands just starting out it was cheaper for them to leave the sound dirty and just turn up their volume.[15] This dirty sound, due to low budgets, unfamiliarity with recording, and a lack of professionalism may be the origin of the term "grunge".[17]

Chuck50 since you graduated in 1882, perhaps you can answer this. Was Tchaikovsky considered a Classicist or was he considered a Romanticist, or even a New Romanticist?
Joking aside, I also remember music with heavy guitar riffs being described as "grungy" in the 1980's
See through faded, super jaded and out of my mind
MrOktober
Take On Me

Postby Chuck50 » Wed May 27, 2020 12:24 pm

That's funny. At first I had no idea what you were talking about. That is when I realized my typo. Thanks for reading my rambling.
Chuck50
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Thu May 28, 2020 8:12 am

The third article from top here is from Trouser Press. Apparently they used the term "synth-pop" as early as May 1982. But in the UK a term "electro-pop" (electronic pop) was in use in 1980 already, evidently on par with "synthetic pop" and "techno pop". However by the Summer 1981 it seems the term "synth-pop" (or "synthi-pop") has already been coined by the press. Though the overarching term for 1979-81 has been "futurist", encompassing both fully electronic and "bands with a synth" type of music.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby bpdp3 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:16 pm

Ah HA!! Digging through the attic found my dec 82 issue of Trouser Press with the ‘synth pop primer’ that monk shared the cover of.
I remember first reading the article wishing that I could own records by all these acts. Well, all are in my collection at this point. The acts are:

BEF
Blancmange
Depeche Mode
Devo
Thomas Dolby
Duran Duran
Flock of seagulls
John Foxx
Human league
Kraftwerk
Leisure process
Los microwaves
Bill Nelson
Gary Numan
OMD
Our daughters wedding
polyrock
Rheingold
Pete Shelley
Simple minds
Soft cell
Spandau ballet
Talk talk
Thompson twins
Trio
Tuxedomoon
Ultravox
Units
Visage
Yaz
Yello
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:57 am

bpdp3 wrote:Ah HA!! Digging through the attic found my dec 82 issue of Trouser Press with the ‘synth pop primer’ that monk shared the cover of.
I remember first reading the article wishing that I could own records by all these acts.

Can you scan the article by any chance? :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:45 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:
bpdp3 wrote:Ah HA!! Digging through the attic found my dec 82 issue of Trouser Press with the ‘synth pop primer’ that monk shared the cover of.
I remember first reading the article wishing that I could own records by all these acts.

Can you scan the article by any chance? :)

Better than that. Trouser Press has the issue online! Scroll to the bottom of the page and you're welcome. They just updated the website to have this today!

https://trouserpress.com/magazine-covers-8/#read
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby bpdp3 » Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:44 am

Yeah, talk about really wild coincidences. I flipped through the pages of that article, posted here and then absent-mindedly searched the TP site (again) and ‘WHAMO!!!’ Absolutely elated —it was as if all the recent weeks and months of misery started melting away!
I post as Bip over there... for the secret reason that I goofed my initial sign-up. I really appreciate Ira and his helpers putting in the effort. Nice way to end a blah Sunday evening.

That and the fact that in searching in the attic I found about twenty of the old pins that would flank my Jean jacket in the early 80s. Thinking of giving the cloth mask I wear a new wave overhaul!!
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:13 am

postpunkmonk wrote:Better than that. Trouser Press has the issue online! Scroll to the bottom of the page and you're welcome. They just updated the website to have this today!

Ooof, that's really a gift that made my day! Fantastic! Only several months ago I browsed every lot on Ebay for photos of the articles (with scant results) and now here are full issues with free access! The internets are a thing or wonder :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:06 pm

Passing_Stranger wrote:
postpunkmonk wrote:Better than that. Trouser Press has the issue online! Scroll to the bottom of the page and you're welcome. They just updated the website to have this today!

Ooof, that's really a gift that made my day! Fantastic! Only several months ago I browsed every lot on Ebay for photos of the articles (with scant results) and now here are full issues with free access! The internets are a thing or wonder :D

The first thing I did were read the reviews of "Systems Of Romance" and "Vienna!" Fascinating to read those reviews finally!
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:12 pm

bpdp3 wrote:Yeah, talk about really wild coincidences. I flipped through the pages of that article, posted here and then absent-mindedly searched the TP site (again) and ‘WHAMO!!!’ Absolutely elated —it was as if all the recent weeks and months of misery started melting away!
I post as Bip over there... for the secret reason that I goofed my initial sign-up. I really appreciate Ira and his helpers putting in the effort. Nice way to end a blah Sunday evening.

That and the fact that in searching in the attic I found about twenty of the old pins that would flank my Jean jacket in the early 80s. Thinking of giving the cloth mask I wear a new wave overhaul!!

Wow! So you're Bip in the TP forum? I never would have put two and two together. But I'm so clueless I never realized that zoo at TP and PPM was also the same person …with the same screen name! Duh!
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby bpdp3 » Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:56 pm

Yup, the internet’s greatest gift... ubiquity and anonymity all at the same time!!
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby humanracer » Wed Jun 03, 2020 1:26 am

TP is a nice read but I’ve always felt Ira Robbins doesn’t understand electronic music. He described Depeche Mode’s violator as “dismal”, Music For The Masses as “bland”. He also says The Human League were crap and ABC were “misguided” Totally at odds with say Paul Morley. He does however rate Tears For Fears very highly and I liked Steve Grant’s positive reappraisal of China Crisis.
Life’s what you make it
humanracer
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:44 pm

humanracer wrote:TP is a nice read but I’ve always felt Ira Robbins doesn’t understand electronic music.

You may be interested to read his column in TP #74, pages 48 & 54 :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations