Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Where/when would your new wave time machine take you to?

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Where/when would your new wave time machine take you to?

Postby bpdp3 » Fri May 15, 2020 6:59 pm

Some off the top of my head:

-Kling Klang studios. Maybe circa ‘man machine’.

-mid-late 70s CBGB’s... want to see what all the fuss was about.

-ditto the 100 club punk festival, or the Roxy.

-love to be in the room when eno told Bowie he’s heard the future of music with Donna summers’i Feel love’

-a British record store between ‘79-‘81

How about you?
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Re: Where/when would your new wave time machine take you to?

Postby eddie » Fri May 29, 2020 8:20 am

bpdp3 wrote:-a British record store between ‘79-‘81

Mainstream (HMV etc) or independent? I worked in the latter at that time. Or aren't you bothered which. I'd like to go back to a few gigs in 1979/1980 armed with recording equipment rather than waiting while 1981. Am I allowed to just drop off a load of blank video tapes so that I didn't have to tape over stuff? If money is no object I just need dropping at a few selected uk record fairs around 1982-1988 to empty the cassette stalls because I know there were lots that have never re-appeared.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby bpdp3 » Sat May 30, 2020 4:27 pm

Well, growing up in the humdrum suburbs in the States, it felt like much of the cool music in that era was coming from the U.K. I’d love to be able to visit the shops most likely to have the post-punk releases of the day... and a limitless credit card of course. And a way to get all those lp’s and 45’s into my current place.

Eddie if you were working in a shop like that at the time, I’ll bet you’ve got a nice collection. Interesting you’d go for cassettes....sad to think that worthy things you recall seeing on cassette can’t be found now.
I’ve religiously maintained all my ‘mix tapes’ from that era but most pre-recorded cassettes i had bought are likely goners.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sat May 30, 2020 11:07 pm

It was a small record shop in a small town really nothing to get excited about.

In a way I can be even more specific about the tapes. Over the last couple of years I've been lucky enough to be given two huge collections of live cassettes which were just taking up space for their owners. But there's one big stall at one record fair in 1986 which haunts me. His prices were ridiculous so I could only afford to get four or five items - those I did get were incredible recordings for the time period but there were hundreds more I wanted and I never saw him again. The audios were all orange covers and the videos, oh the videos....., were all green. To give you an idea the asking price for one video of a 1985 concert which I can guarantee you has never been available anywhere since was £100. I couldn't afford that then if I was offered it for £100 today I would run to the cash machine and at least six websites would explode.
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby bpdp3 » Sun May 31, 2020 3:44 pm

I don’t think it matters what corner of the world you’re from... if you’re a devoted collector of music, you have stories of squandered opportunities. I can think of several times I stood with prized item in hand, but then decided to pass. Once you realize you HAVE to HAVE that item, it has evaporated. Like an oasis that was never really there. But you know it was there! And you blew it!!

Sometimes lack of funds (or my damn financial conscience) forces my hand. But I do know this: I’ve never regretted buying an item, but I’ve spent years regretting NOT buying an item.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:01 pm

In a bizarre twist of events one of those cassettes just sprang up on dime.
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby licoriceamoeba » Sun Jun 28, 2020 6:09 pm

New York seemed like a fun place to be in the 80s. Maybe attempt to hang out with Warhol and other artsy types while checking out New Wave and Synth Pop groups.
licoriceamoeba
Running Up That Hill

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions