Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Question: Lips Like Sugar...Mix??

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Question: Lips Like Sugar...Mix??

Postby Sundayguy » Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:38 pm

Question for everyone, maybe one of you will have an answer. Is there some "alternate" version of Echo & The Bunnymen's Lips Like Sugar that has a louder, more pronounced synth part, most noticeably after the sugar kisses line? I seem to recall the song that way, with more keys, and have tracked down a few versions (single, maxi, 12", & dub mix) and the only one that even comes close to having a more present, louder synth part is the dub, at about the last minute, but I'm sure that's NOT the version I'm thinking of. Any help with any other versions would be appreciated! Big thanks, too if anyone has the multi-track DJ stems of the individual parts and can share. Thanks, thanks, thanks! :D
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Re: Question: Lips Like Sugar...Mix??

Postby MRRAYSWIGWORLD » Sat Jun 13, 2020 10:24 am

Could you mean the Way Out West remix that was included on a compilation album called Future Retro? The vinyl had the extended version, the cd an edit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bZ6k5b3Cqk
MRRAYSWIGWORLD
Running Up That Hill

Postby Sundayguy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 3:19 pm

Thanks for thinking of that, but no, that's not the one. I'm still hoping to track down stems, but nothing on that front, as yet, either. Ty for your reply!
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby crichert » Sat Jun 13, 2020 5:48 pm

Hey Sundayguy!

I also recall that version, and I believe you're referring to is the Aaron Scofield remix on the "Retro Shock" collection:
https://www.discogs.com/Various-Retro-S ... se/8649371

The chorus has some more pronounced synths and extra percussion added. It's a solid remix that doesn't take away from the original song.

Let me know if you have trouble finding it, and I can dig up my CD to share it with you.
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby Sundayguy » Sat Jun 13, 2020 9:55 pm

Hey crichert! Thanks for the heads-up. I didn't have any issue finding the track, and I like it, but still not the version I'm thinking of. Darn it. :lol:
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby crichert » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:15 am

Sorry, that's all I could find. If you do end up finding the track, please share - I'd love to hear it!! :mrgreen:
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby Freshy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:14 am

Could it be the Spiral Tribe Remix that clocks in at 6:07. There is a lot going on in the song. https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Spiral-Tribe-Volume-IV/release/2864297
Freshy
Take On Me

Postby negative1 » Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:38 pm

Freshy wrote:Could it be the Spiral Tribe Remix that clocks in at 6:07. There is a lot going on in the song. https://www.discogs.com/Various-The-Spiral-Tribe-Volume-IV/release/2864297

these are just unnofficial dj mixes, which loop and combine parts that were already there.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Sundayguy » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:16 pm

Thanks negative1. I have a couple other Spiral Tribe "remixes" and came to the same conclusion, even without yet hearing the Lips Like Sugar remix. Like The March Violets Turn To The Sky. Just bits of the 12" maybe a little more reverb.
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Postby rewind » Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:12 am

The album version that appears on Killing Moon - The Best of Echo & the Bunnymen (Disc 2), is a bit louder and more processed than on previous versions. Maybe that?
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby Sundayguy » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:07 pm

Thanks Freshy, but that wasn't it. As negative1 said it's pretty much the 12" version re-assembled, somewhat.
And rewind, that's a GREAT sounding version, the remaster! Towards the end, the last minute or so the keys are slightly more present
but that seems common in most of the versions I've tracked down, so far. Thanks for the info, everyone!
Sundayguy
The Jet Set

Return to Obscure 80s Central