Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Ultravox "Vienna" (40th Anniversary Boxset)

Ultravox "Vienna" (40th Anniversary Boxset)

Postby omar » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:35 pm

Released on Sept. 25th on 5 cds/dvd.

Disc 1 (CD)
1. Astradyne
2. New Europeans
3. Private Lives
4. Passing Strangers
5. Sleepwalk
6. Mr X
7. Western Promise
8. Vienna
9. All Stood Still

Disc 2 (CD)
1. Astradyne (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
2. New Europeans (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
3. Private Lives (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
4. Passing Strangers (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
5. Sleepwalk (Steve Wilson Stereo Mix)
6. Mr. X (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
7. Western Promise (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
8. Vienna (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
9. All Stood Still (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
10. Waiting (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
11. Passionate Reply (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
12. Alles Klar (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
13. Herr X (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)

Disc 3 (CD)
1. Sleepwalk (Early Version) [2008 Remastered Version]
2. Waiting
3. Face To Face (Live in St Albans 16/8/80)
4. King’s Lead Hat (Live at The Lyceum 17/8/80)
5. Vienna (Single Version)
6. Passionate Reply
7. Herr X
8. All Stood Still (Single Version)
9. Alles Klar
10. Keep Talking (Cassette Recording During Rehearsals)
11. All Stood Still (12” Mix)
12. Sleepwalk (Recorded Live In Rehearsals At The Lyceum 17/8/80) / 13. All Stood Still (Recorded Live In Rehearsals At The Lyceum 17/8/80)
14. Vienna (Live Video Version, St Albans City Hall 16/8/80)
15. Sleepwalk (Live Video Version, St Albans City Hall 16/8/80)

Disc 4 (CD)
1. Astradyne (Cassette Rehearsal)
2. New Europeans (Instrumental – Cassette Rehearsal)
3. Private Lives (Instrumental – Cassette Rehearsal)
4. Passing Strangers (Instrumental 1 – Cassette Rehearsal)
5. Sleepwalk (Version 1 – Cassette Rehearsal)
6. Mr. X (Cassette Rehearsal)
7. Western Promise (Cassette Rehearsal)
8. Vienna (Cassette Rehearsal)
9. All Stood Still (Instrumental 1 – Cassette Rehearsal)
10. Sound On Sound (Cassette Rehearsal)
11. Animal (Cassette Rehearsal)
12. Sleepwalk (Version 2 – Cassette Rehearsal)
13. Sound On Sound (Instrumental – Cassette Rehearsal)
14. Passing Strangers (Instrumental 2 – Cassette Rehearsal)
15. All Stood Still (Instrumental 2 – Cassette Rehearsal)

Disc 5 (CD)
1. Astradyne (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
2. New Europeans (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
3. Passing Strangers (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
4. Quiet Men (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
5. Face To Face (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
6. Mr. X (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
7. Western Promise (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
8. Vienna (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
9. Slow Motion (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
10. Hiroshima Mon Amour (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
11. All Stood Still (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
12. Sleepwalk (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
13. Private Lives (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980)
14. King’s Lead Hat (Live in St Albans 16/8/1980

Disc 6 (DVD)
1. Astradyne (5.1 Surround Mix)
2. New Europeans (5.1 Surround Mix)
3. Private Lives (5.1 Surround Mix)
4. Passing Strangers (5.1 Surround Mix)
5. Sleepwalk (5.1 Surround Mix)
6. Mr. X (5.1 Surround Mix)
7. Western Promise (5.1 Surround Mix)
8. Vienna (5.1 Surround Mix)
9. All Stood Still (5.1 Surround Mix)
10. Waiting (5.1 Surround Mix)
11. Passionate Reply (5.1 Surround Mix)
12. Herr X (5.1 Surround Mix)
13. Astradyne (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
14. New Europeans (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
15. Private Lives (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
16. Passing Strangers (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
17. Mr. X (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
18. Western Promise (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
19. Vienna (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
20. All Stood Still (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
21. Waiting (Steve Wilson Stereo Mix)
22. Passionate Reply (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
23. Herr X (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
24. Alles Klar (Steven Wilson Stereo Mix)
omar
Room at the Top

Re: Ultravox "Vienna" (40th Anniversary Boxset)

Postby ZippY » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:08 am

I'll keep my 2CD Definitive Edition remaster from 2018 thank you very much.
ZippY
Personal Jesus

Postby postpunkmonk » Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:19 am

I've seen this on the Finnish webstore yesterday for € 55 - about as much as I would pay for it seeing as it one of my most influential albums. But now the box is pulled today. I sincerely hope that the price was accurate. The rehearsal cassette that turned up as a B-side ["Keep Talking"] was pretty rough stuff. One hopes that the extra discs they've generated are worth the effort. I have the live BBC disc already but I liked the St. Albans video. Hot performances on a razor's edge with no MIDI and the band really on their toes to achieve their sound live. Am looking forward to the full show. So glad this isn't priced at $100+! I've had it up to here with 3-figure SDLX boxes. Thank goodness there's no hardcover picture book and mandatory vinyl!

I've got the 1st UK Chrysalis CD, the Chrysalis 25 "blue box" edition, the 90s EMI GOLD DLX RM, The 2008 2xCD Definitive Edition. I'll probably get this too.
Last edited by postpunkmonk on Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby omar » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:15 am

I also have the 2 cd version. The real draw here would be the Steve Wilson Mixes on disc 2.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:51 pm

So, if there are two videos from the St Alban's show and the whole of the gig on audio, does that mean that the whole show has also been filmed? Now that would've been fantastic to see!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:03 am

postpunkmonk wrote:I've seen this on the Finnish webstore yesterday for € 60 - about as much as I would pay for it seeing as it one of my most influential albums. But now the box is pulled today. I sincerely hope that the price was accurate. The rehearsal cassette that turned up as a B-side ["Keep Talking"] was pretty rough stuff. One hopes that the extra discs they've generated are worth the effort. I have the live BBC disc already but I liked the St. Albans video. Hot performances on a razor's edge with no MIDI and the band really on their toes to achieve their sound live. Am looking forward to the full show. So glad this isn't priced at $100+! I've had it up to here with 3-figure SDLX boxes. Thank goodness there's no hardcover picture book and mandatory vinyl!

I've got the 1st UK Chrysalis CD, the Chrysalis 25 "blue box" edition, the 90s EMI GOLD DLX RM, The 2008 2xCD Definitive Edition. I'll probably get this too.

i echo the sentiment.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby WLR » Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:27 am

:D Good to have 5.1 mixes on DVD, can definitely live without the "Cassette" disc if "Keep Talking" is anything to go by!

Live disc looks good to :)
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Sean » Wed Aug 12, 2020 12:20 pm

I love this album and with this I'll be buying it for like the 8th time. I'm in it for definitely discs 3 and 4. Who is Steven Wilson and what will he be doing to this songs? :D Anyways, I wish the DVD had some BBC performances and a cool live show during that period. It's just an audio DVD with more of whomever that Steven Wilson guy is.
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:12 am

Sean wrote:I love this album and with this I'll be buying it for like the 8th time. I'm in it for definitely discs 3 and 4. Who is Steven Wilson and what will he be doing to this songs? :D Anyways, I wish the DVD had some BBC performances and a cool live show during that period. It's just an audio DVD with more of whomever that Steven Wilson guy is.
This will be my 8th time, too!
There might not be too much video of the band from this era. There's the 2 video clips and the TOTP performance of "All Stood Still." The two songs filmed live @ St. Albans for "Sleepwalk" + "Vienna." All out there already on DVD. https://www.discogs.com/Ultravox-The-Very-Best-Of/master/203169
I guess if they had the whole St. Albans show it would have been here. At least the audio is represented though a full live show of this band at this time on film would have been thrilling. When they made "Vienna" it was a slow burn until the title track hit big. Chrysalis were playing their promo cards close to their vests. They didn't spend too much until the records began to sell. Then we had videos for "The Voice" and "The Thin Wall" that looked like they cost a fortune.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby discoginfo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:23 am

If they filmed Sleepwalk and Vienna, they surely filmed the entire gig, no? Bringing the equipment there and the camera crew, was a cost, which likely did not increase by filming all of their songs.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:52 pm

Then they have to find the film. Since the two clips were used to promote the album in 1980 [I saw the "Sleepwalk" clip on Canada's MuchMusic] obviously Chrysalis had hands on in 2009. It may be a different story now for any footage. We could always Ask Midge. I was thinking about film access. Even at shows pro photographers in the pit might have access only for a few numbers. Wondered if the film crew might have had similar limitations.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:07 am

just ordered this.

so my accumulation of ultravox issues continues.

a few more major ones left this year.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby jaybag » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:11 am

So bitter - I ordered mine from Amazon well before it came out. It had been on "backorder" forever then one day I checked my list of open orders and it wasn't there. Then noticed I'd gotten an e-mail from them saying they were "unable to fill this order and so it has been canceled, we apologize for the inconvenience," etc. I have it on order from two other sites that also both show it as "Backorder" so I'm skeptical at best. Looks like my only option is buying it directly from the Ultravox website but with shipping to the U.S. it'll come out to probably $100+ with tax (it's $95 without, Amazon and the other sites had it for more like $65).

Gripe session over, so now I ask you fine folks: Is it worth the $100? I already own the 2-CD Remastered Definitive Edition.
jaybag
Personal Jesus

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:34 am

jaybag wrote:So bitter - I ordered mine from Amazon well before it came out. It had been on "backorder" forever then one day I checked my list of open orders and it wasn't there. Then noticed I'd gotten an e-mail from them saying they were "unable to fill this order and so it has been canceled, we apologize for the inconvenience," etc. I have it on order from two other sites that also both show it as "Backorder" so I'm skeptical at best. Looks like my only option is buying it directly from the Ultravox website but with shipping to the U.S. it'll come out to probably $100+ with tax (it's $95 without, Amazon and the other sites had it for more like $65).

Gripe session over, so now I ask you fine folks: Is it worth the $100? I already own the 2-CD Remastered Definitive Edition.

I LOVE this album. Really like this box [for once there are no errors], but do I really like to to the tune of $100? Maybe not. I got it for $57, which was fine. The live album was all that and more. My suggestion? It's on iTunes and probably many other platforms as a DL. Cherry pick the "Live At St. Albans" tracks as they are the cream of this set. You can live without the Steve Wilson mixes [which aren't bad…] and the live cassettes iterations of the material, which are a bit more interesting than "Keep Talking" would have suggested, but still… You have the "Definitive Edition" and that has the most critical material, though the box mastering is the best this album has sounded in 25 years, and I have every mastering as far as I know.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby jaybag » Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:58 am

postpunkmonk wrote: I LOVE this album. Really like this box [for once there are no errors], but do I really like to to the tune of $100? Maybe not. I got it for $57, which was fine. The live album was all that and more. My suggestion? It's on iTunes and probably many other platforms as a DL. Cherry pick the "Live At St. Albans" tracks as they are the cream of this set. You can live without the Steve Wilson mixes [which aren't bad…] and the live cassettes iterations of the material, which are a bit more interesting than "Keep Talking" would have suggested, but still… You have the "Definitive Edition" and that has the most critical material, though the box mastering is the best this album has sounded in 25 years, and I have every mastering as far as I know.

Thanks Monk! Great review. True I could just stream it off Spotify or buy it on iTunes for $36. I'm just a fan of physical media, and though my equipment isn't the greatest I love having the full WAV file quality files as opposed to the 256kbps (I've convinced myself I can hear the difference). I might just suck it up and order it from their site. Neither of the other two sites I ordered it from (ImportCDs or DeepDiscount, which I think are actually affiliated) still even show the product for sale so I'm skeptical that they'll come through.
jaybag
Personal Jesus

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations