Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Ultravox Vienna 40th Anniversary Box Set

Re: Ultravox Vienna 40th Anniversary Box Set

Postby negative1 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 10:04 am

Guess the record store day release of the 12 inch should be coming up soon.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:31 am

But I have no idea how we're actually supposed to buy it since there's no release to stores, which are not open. Wasn't it something like we can buy the day after release online? The waters are so muddy on RSD by now. And I don't pay too much attention to RSD in the best of time, not to mention now.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:27 am

there will always be people selling it on ebay.

i'm sure i'll pick up a copy on discogs.

shouldn't be that hard.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Aug 17, 2020 6:28 am

Was shocked to see that the Ultravox "Sleepwalk" 12" was on the US RSD Aug. 28 drop list! I emailed my local emporium and they still don't have a plan as to how this will work, since they are not open in-store due to covid-19. They only have hours for curbside pickup. But they said that they will contact me when they have a plan. They had better hurry. It's 2 weeks away.If I can get a copy there for $17 it will be grea not paying postage from the UK, which I though would be the case.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Mon Aug 24, 2020 3:09 pm

Some people have the sleepwalk 12 inch, and test pressings, according to discogs.

Also:
Cover sticker states:
Ultravox
40th Anniversary
12" Clear Vinyl Exclusive Sleepwalk
Limited Edition Record Store Day

Rear Cover states:
Taken from the 40th Anniversary Deluxe Edition of VIENNA

Note: only one pressing of this has been manufactured for worldwide distribution and there are no separate releases for any specific country.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Aug 25, 2020 7:21 am

Still no word from my local store. I need to apply the spurs.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Glenn » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:22 pm

My local store (Seattle, WA) is going to pass out a list to those in line and have people note the items they want (up to 15 releases plus 5 alternates) and then they will put the orders together and have people come in to pay as the orders are ready. They are not planning on the normal RSD free for all.
Glenn
Take On Me

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:29 am

My store is closed with curbside pickup only. They will take orders at 10:00 am by phone/email/FaceBoot Messenger/ The phone line will be hard to get, and I have nothing to do with FaceBoot, so I've pinned my hopes on an email I have pre-drafted and ready to go. I'll still need to phone in my card infor so we'll see.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby mathmandan » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:42 pm

postpunkmonk wrote:My store is closed with curbside pickup only. They will take orders at 10:00 am by phone/email/FaceBoot Messenger/ The phone line will be hard to get, and I have nothing to do with FaceBoot, so I've pinned my hopes on an email I have pre-drafted and ready to go. I'll still need to phone in my card infor so we'll see.

I'm hoping luck was with you today. I visited one local store today, and lo and behold my 2.5 hour wait in line paid off. In addition to the Ultravox 12", the store had quite a few of the items I was interested in this year. You just never know; in the past it has sometimes been a total bust for me.
mathmandan
Running Up That Hill

Postby negative1 » Sat Aug 29, 2020 6:31 pm

Just ordered it off discogs, there are several sellers all
selling it for $20 US and less.

I got it for $18+shipping, so will have it next week.

It shouldn't be too much more than that.

(Thought about getting the U2 11'oclock tick tock, but backed out of it).

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Aug 31, 2020 6:25 am

I had the most enjoyable RSD experience on Saturday. Two weeks ago I was wondering what my local emporium would be doing for the first drop since they are closed. They are selling remotely by phone and web and offer curbside pickup. So I emailed the store indicating my interest in "Sleepwalk" and "Roxy Music;" both Steven Wilson mixes of classic material. One of the owners got back to me saying they had not yet decided how to proceed. I'd heard of some pretty obnoxious schemes to sell RSD product in the pandemic [lotteries, etc.] that manages to make what was already a bad situation, even worse.

On Friday I found out that the store was selling remotely. Buyers were encouraged to phone/email/FaceBoot Message at 10:00 on Saturday if they wanted any particular title and pay remotely, with pickup offered for in-town buyers. They could sell to out of town buyers by 1:00 as per the RSD "rules."

I don't FaceBoot, and don't use a cell phone. I have an ipod touch which is a computer in wi-fi and was at the shop getting an oil change/tire rotation in the morning, so I had an email ready to send in drafts indicating the 2 titles I wanted. At 10:00 I hit "send" and by 10:24 I had a response with payment instructions via Paypal. By 10:45 I left the shop and was picking up my records. The kindest, gentlest RSD experience ever.

Pressing quality was great on the Ultravox release. As mentioned, the high quality anti-static sleeve was a real treat. Print quality of the sleeve was impeccable. They obviously sourced the images from photographer Brian Griffin. I've never seen so much tone in the shots. And the card stock used came as close as imaginable to that of the original, which used the reverse, textured side of the card stock for an interesting effect. The new sleeve has the same woolly texture.

I digitized it last night. I was hoping for a DL code, but that ship has mostly sailed, though I did get one in the new John Foxx + The Maths album this month! The Wilson mixes are subtle for "Sleepwalk." It seems dryer with less reverb. Neither decidedly inferior nor superior for the A-side. "Waiting" was another thing entirely. More liberties were taken in the mix and I found that I was liking the difference. The synth swooshes and white noise explosions were gone, and since they were already used as hooks in the A-side, this made some sense to me. New aspects of the synths were brought to the foreground. The long atmospheric fade was very different. I am leaning towards preferring the Wilson mix of "Waiting." So; not bad. Not bad at all. I was thrilled to get the two records I wanted in such a pleasant manner. Nice to actually buy a record without costly shipping.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby WLR » Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:14 am

Thanks for the info on Ultravox, especially your thoughts on the Steve Wilson stero mixes of "Sleepwalk" and "Waiting", bodes well for the mixes on the Vienna box set.

postpunkmonk wrote:I had the most enjoyable RSD experience on Saturday. Two weeks ago I was wondering what my local emporium would be doing for the first drop since they are closed. They are selling remotely by phone and web and offer curbside pickup. So I emailed the store indicating my interest in "Sleepwalk" and "Roxy Music;" both Steven Wilson mixes of classic material. One of the owners got back to me saying they had not yet decided how to proceed. I'd heard of some pretty obnoxious schemes to sell RSD product in the pandemic [lotteries, etc.] that manages to make what was already a bad situation, even worse.

On Friday I found out that the store was selling remotely. Buyers were encouraged to phone/email/FaceBoot Message at 10:00 on Saturday if they wanted any particular title and pay remotely, with pickup offered for in-town buyers. They could sell to out of town buyers by 1:00 as per the RSD "rules."

I don't FaceBoot, and don't use a cell phone. I have an ipod touch which is a computer in wi-fi and was at the shop getting an oil change/tire rotation in the morning, so I had an email ready to send in drafts indicating the 2 titles I wanted. At 10:00 I hit "send" and by 10:24 I had a response with payment instructions via Paypal. By 10:45 I left the shop and was picking up my records. The kindest, gentlest RSD experience ever.

Pressing quality was great on the Ultravox release. As mentioned, the high quality anti-static sleeve was a real treat. Print quality of the sleeve was impeccable. They obviously sourced the images from photographer Brian Griffin. I've never seen so much tone in the shots. And the card stock used came as close as imaginable to that of the original, which used the reverse, textured side of the card stock for an interesting effect. The new sleeve has the same woolly texture.

I digitized it last night. I was hoping for a DL code, but that ship has mostly sailed, though I did get one in the new John Foxx + The Maths album this month! The Wilson mixes are subtle for "Sleepwalk." It seems dryer with less reverb. Neither decidedly inferior nor superior for the A-side. "Waiting" was another thing entirely. More liberties were taken in the mix and I found that I was liking the difference. The synth swooshes and white noise explosions were gone, and since they were already used as hooks in the A-side, this made some sense to me. New aspects of the synths were brought to the foreground. The long atmospheric fade was very different. I am leaning towards preferring the Wilson mix of "Waiting." So; not bad. Not bad at all. I was thrilled to get the two records I wanted in such a pleasant manner. Nice to actually buy a record without costly shipping.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby discoginfo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:02 am

I was credited in the Box for video restoration, hehe. The people responsible must have been stressed out...
/Jonas Warstad
http://www.discog.info/ultravox.html
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:30 am

discoginfo wrote:I was credited in the Box for video restoration, hehe. The people responsible must have been stressed out...
/Jonas Warstad
http://www.discog.info/ultravox.html

I saw that!! I thought it was audio mastering credit from the St. Albans video soundtracks included on disc 3. So you had nothing to do with that then? Strange.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby discoginfo » Tue Oct 20, 2020 5:36 am

Nope. Dermot James, head of Chrysalis, emailed me in March about this upcoming Box, asking if he could use my old interview with Warren Cann in the box.
Of course he could. "Just credit it to Warren Cann and me, and link to my original online interview". Which never happened, I assume he and everyone else got too busy
and my name ended up in a box along with all the others who helped. I'm not really upset about that, but it would have been nice to have a link to my interview there.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations