Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Go-Go's Info and Request

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Go-Go's Info and Request

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:14 pm

Having been a huge Go-Go's fan since 1981, I've been confused since the "Return To The Valley Of The Go-Go's" set came out, as the track list states: "We Got The Beat (Single Mix)". Single mix? It didn't sound any different than every other Go-Go's CD in my collection. I assumed it was just a typo for the last 26yrs.

I recently watched the FANTASTIC Showtime documentary "The Go-Go's" and bought their fun new song "Club Zero", and found myself plunging headfirst back down the Go-Go's rabbit hole lol.

Well, after 26yrs, I finally did some research on the "Single Mix" mystery and found my answer. The first recording of "We Got The Beat" was of course released in 1980 as a 7" single on Stiff Records in the UK (this version was finally released on CD in 1994 on "The Whole World Lost Its Head" CD-Single). After being signed to I.R.S. Records in 1981, the song was re-recorded for the "Beauty And The Beat" album. However, I was unaware that when I.R.S. Records decided to release "We Got The Beat" as a single in January of 1982, they remixed and edited the track slightly from the version released on initial pressings of the "Beauty And The Beat" album! I was only 11yrs olds at the time and had bought both the "Our Lips Are Sealed" and "We Got The Beat" singles before saving up enough money to buy the full LP AFTER "We Got The Beat" was a huge hit. So my LP had the NEW Single Mix of "We Got The Beat" on it instead of the ORIGINAL 1981 re-recording, which meant that the Single Mix was the only mix I had ever heard (or, at least, owned).

Armed with this new knowledge, I was dying to heard what that original 1981 version sounded like!

Funny thing is, about 6yrs ago, I was doing a ton of scanning and photoshopping of 80's album art and had purchased a nearly mint copy of "Beauty And The Beat" with the BLUE background. My copy had the PEACH background and I always thought the blue cover was better. Anyway, realizing I never actually LISTENED to this "new" copy, I dragged out my turntable and hooked everything up and started playing the record. Right away it sounded a little different to me. Then, after the first chorus, there was a longer instrumental break than I had been accustomed to! And there was no piano - or if there was, it was very low in the mix. Finally, the breakdown near the end had no hand claps! So I actually had this elusive original LP Mix in my closet for the past 6yrs lmao!

So the newer Single Mix has completely replaced the original LP Mix ever since 1982! Which means it never appeared on any CD release. Then I remembered in 2016, when Edsel announced their remaster of "Beauty And The Beat", "We Got The Beat (Single Mix)" had shown up AGAIN, this time listed as a Bonus Track. Could that mean that Edsel had in fact reinstated the Original LP Mix as Track 6 on that first disc??? A look at the Discogs entry indicates this may be the case. Track 6 is listed as 2:36 while Track 13 shows 2:31 which is the length of the slightly shorter Single Mix.

So, long story short (haha!), did anyone here pick up the Edsel "Beauty And The Beat" remaster from 2016? Is Track 6 really the ORIGINAL LP Mix? Beyond that, are the other bonus tracks on Disc 1 of better sound quality than they were on the 1994 "Return To The Valley..." set (that release has always kinda sounded muffled to me)??? Anyone willing to share Track 6 in FLAC?
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Re: Go-Go's Info and Request

Postby Fred Taghon » Sun Sep 20, 2020 12:46 pm

I forgot to mention that after discovering all this, in a wave of nostalgia, I played on YouTube for a while watching clips of the Go-Go's from the 80's. Ended up watching their performance on "American Band Stand" which I vividly remember seeing when I was kid lol.

But something stood out like a sore thumb! After the first chorus of "We Got The Beat", Belinda clearly missed her cue to start lip syncing the second verse! She was still dancing near the drum kit, nowhere near the microphone, when her voice on the record they were playing started singing without her lol. At first I just thought oh that was a cute innocent mishap. THEN I realized, OMG she's still used to the original album version here, NOT the single mix which cut out 6 seconds before the 2nd verse!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby retromusic » Sun Sep 20, 2020 1:05 pm

Hi Fred. I've got the deluxe 2cd version of this album, but it may be the earlier European release. I'll need to dig it out from the attic, but I'll upload those versions for you.
retromusic
Personal Jesus

Postby schwenko » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:15 am

So if I understand correctly, there are 3 versions of WGTB?

What about "How Much More" , the b-side of the Stiff single? Was that re-recorded for BATB?
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 6:44 am

schwenko wrote:So if I understand correctly, there are 3 versions of WGTB?

What about "How Much More" , the b-side of the Stiff single? Was that re-recorded for BATB?

Yep 3 versions of "We Got The Beat". They did re-record "How Much More" for the album. The 1980 version from the Stiff single was included on the "Return To the Valley..." release in 1994.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Fred Taghon » Mon Sep 21, 2020 11:05 am

The Discogs entry for the 2016 Edsel "Beauty And The Beat" has a comment saying that BOTH versions on that release are the Single Mix! If that's true, BUMMER!

So, in the meantime, here's my vinyl rip of the Original LP Version of "We Got The Beat" in FLAC:

https://www.sendspace.com/file/pyvqd5
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby retromusic » Mon Sep 21, 2020 12:21 pm

Hi Fred. My version is the 2cd European release, 30th Anniversary Edition from 2011 [Capitol Records, cat.no. 5099902702926].
It just has the standard 11 tracks on disc 1 and a 17 track live from Metro Club, Boston - August 20, 1981 on disc 2.
We Got The Beat is the shorter 2.31 version. Here it is in flac: https://mega.nz/file/TUIByYRb#jQ27nBHd7PRy4XHY_u5eArCArp6zt1ZhStybZrnYKVY

Cheers, and thanks for the vinyl rip.
Jon :)
retromusic
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred Taghon » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:54 am

Thanks Jon, I actually already have the USA 2011 2CD "Beauty And The Beat" I'm sure someone out there will appreciate your share! Hope you find my vinyl rip of interest!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby Uvox » Tue Sep 22, 2020 11:37 am

Hey fans, I have a VHS-to-DVD homemade rip of that gig -
The Go-Go's - Wild At The Greek
00:52:22
"This program presents the popular "girl band," the Go Go's at a live outdoor summer concert. The sultry night is a perfect backdrop for the enthusiastic audience, appreciating the musical and physical charms of the sexy band, as they perform some of their standards.

Intro
Head Over Heels
Our Lips Are Sealed
Forget That Day
We Got The Beat
Turn To You
Tonight
You Thought
Yes Or No
I'm With You
This Town
Can't Stop The World
Vacation
I'm The Only One
Credit

Anyone fancy, please PM me.
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby eddie » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:43 am

The stuff you get to hear when people trust you to transfer and mix their master tapes is truly amazing. 1982 and uncirculated and unofficial in every way.

https://we.tl/t-DA8BMoCRfz
Fuck's sake mate how do you manage all those usernames on guitars101 and greasy lake?
eddie
The Jet Set

Postby PKPN » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:05 pm

Thanks for that rarity, Eddie. Any info about what concert that was?

Back to the original topic... "We Got the Beat" on the original Stiff 45 has strong reverb on the vocals during the drum break at 1:50, whereas on the 1994 "The Whole World Lots Its Head" CD single, they're totally dry. They're different mixes! So there are four mixes, if I'm not mistaken:
  • 1980 Stiff recording, the 1980 released mix
  • 1980 Stiff recording, the dry-vocal mix released in 1994
  • 1981 IRS recording, the original LP and 12" B-side mix without piano
  • 1981 IRS recording, the single and 2nd LP mix with piano, first released in January 1982(?)
PKPN
Take On Me

Return to Obscure 80s Central