Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Share: TELEX - Is release a humour? - We love TELEX

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: Share: TELEX - Is release a humour? - We love TELEX

Postby 80rulez » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:39 pm

PKPN,

Thanks for the extensive explanations. I love Foobar2000 because of the versatility it has. Unless if you are really familiar with the set-up, it is not an easy apps to use. I definitely won't be able to set up mine like what you have explained. I will take a look at my configuration and try to play around with it.

The ability to detect the source of MP3 will be handy particularly when we have many identical files from different downloads. I already found out that deleting the excess files based solely on bitrate was a mistake.

Cheers!
80rulez
Take On Me

Postby PKPN » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:30 am

80rulez wrote:I definitely won't be able to set up mine like what you have explained. I will take a look at my configuration and try to play around with it.

Ctrl+P to quickly get to Preferences, then under Display > Default User Interface > Playlist View, Custom Columns, at the bottom of the list is "Add new" button. Once you have defined the content for a column, you still have to put it in your layout; in the playlist panel, right-click on any header, and you can choose which columns are visible. The columns respond to clicks & drags in the same way as in spreadsheet apps. (If you are using Columns UI instead of Default UI, the procedure is different; can't help ya there.)

80rulez wrote:The ability to detect the source of MP3 will be handy particularly when we have many identical files from different downloads.

It's not foolproof. There's a mix of art and science in the hobby of spotting fakes, bad splits, errors, transcodes, etc., and trying to figure out the source of any rip. We rely on lots of circumstantial evidence, and we're limited by the tools, expertise, time and patience at our disposal. As listening and analysis methods get more sophisticated, a lot of us are now at the point where we're poring over all those "duplicates" to find an elusive "best" rip of the "best" mastering.

When there's only one release to choose from—and in keeping with what kicked off this tangential discussion—often, it is indeed a whole lot less work to simply buy a copy and rip it yourself, so you know it's authentic and as good as it can be. I'm going to do that for the Torch Song Wish Thing LP, because it seems every rip floating around is, as far as I can tell, a hodgepodge of transcodes, mediocre/overly declicked rips, and files from different sources.
PKPN
Take On Me

Postby 80rulez » Sat Mar 20, 2021 8:59 am

PKPN wrote:Ctrl+P to quickly get to Preferences, then under Display > Default User Interface > Playlist View, Custom Columns, at the bottom of the list is "Add new" button. Once you have defined the content for a column, you still have to put it in your layout; in the playlist panel, right-click on any header, and you can choose which columns are visible. The columns respond to clicks & drags in the same way as in spreadsheet apps. (If you are using Columns UI instead of Default UI, the procedure is different; can't help ya there.)

Now I realized why it's not easy, you pretty much need to setup the whole interface of the player based on your needs. I ended up downloading theme and simply use it.

PKPN wrote:It's not foolproof. There's a mix of art and science in the hobby of spotting fakes, bad splits, errors, transcodes, etc., and trying to figure out the source of any rip. We rely on lots of circumstantial evidence, and we're limited by the tools, expertise, time and patience at our disposal. As listening and analysis methods get more sophisticated, a lot of us are now at the point where we're poring over all those "duplicates" to find an elusive "best" rip of the "best" mastering.

When there's only one release to choose from—and in keeping with what kicked off this tangential discussion—often, it is indeed a whole lot less work to simply buy a copy and rip it yourself, so you know it's authentic and as good as it can be. I'm going to do that for the Torch Song Wish Thing LP, because it seems every rip floating around is, as far as I can tell, a hodgepodge of transcodes, mediocre/overly declicked rips, and files from different sources.

Sounds interesting but time consuming. But maybe worthwhile for album which you really like.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips.
80rulez
Take On Me

Previous

Return to Obscure 80s Central