Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

92.7 WLIR/WDRE

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

92.7 WLIR/WDRE

Postby Demetri » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:11 am

If there are any folks here who have or would be able to find old playlists or sets from WLIR/WDRE, I'd certainly appreciate it. I grew up on Long Island, listening to this station. I did find the list of Screamers/Shrieks of the Week, but I'm trying to find the more obscure material. Suggestions?
Demetri
Take On Me

Postby Jimbo » Sun Apr 13, 2003 2:53 pm

Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby Jimbo » Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:02 pm

http://www.wlir.com/shreeks.asp

You will have to cut and paste this.
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby savethewave » Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:22 am

I have all 12 hours of the Easter 1996 "Resurrection Sunday" broadcast on WLIR, where they brought back all the old WLIR DJ's, and ran the old concert commercials from the early 1980's.

The copies are stereo, recorded on two VHS videotapes. I have never transcribed the song list, only sat and enjoyed it from time to time, and remembered how I built a special antenna in 1982 and put it on the house next to ours (it was taller) for the sole purpose of receiving WLIR in New Brunswick, New Jersey.

Are you familiar with 106.3, WHTG? I have almost the whole final day (9:30am-Midnight) of the "old" WHTG, when the station was sold. Ironically, it was one of the highest quality broadcasts the station ever had.
savethewave
The Jet Set

Postby Jay242 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 4:59 am

I have one of their original playlists lying around somewhere. When I find it, I can try to scan it for you. It's from one of their famous top 100 countdowns.

BTW, isn't it sad what that station has turned into? They went from one of the best stations on the planet to a glorified top 40 station.
Jay242
Take On Me

Postby Jay242 » Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:03 am

You can also try contacting Malibu Sue. I think her email is sue@wlir.com . She's been there since the station's early days and may have some good information.
Jay242
Take On Me

Postby Hockeybird » Thu Oct 02, 2003 4:35 am

I'd be happy to answer any questions as i used to be DJ Bird at WLIR back in the 80's.

Please contact me via e-mail

scott@hockeybird.com
Hockeybird
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Monimania » Fri Oct 31, 2003 2:58 am

Hi im an WLIR er also :) when they had all request mornings on WLIR they played ALOT of cool stuff & I wrote down alot & got stuff from Napster, now the station is bad, Im not too fond of the music :)
Monimania
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Joseph63 » Mon Nov 03, 2003 11:52 am

still a fan of LIR. My friend and I invented the phrase "Regular Radio" which LIR used for several years. Just completed burning my old tapes. 132 CD's. feels like heaven. will start vinyl in 2 weeks.

<hr noshade color="#999999" size="1" width="90%">
josephmolfetto
Joseph63
Running Up That Hill

Postby Shatty McPants » Thu Dec 04, 2003 5:15 am

Hello My Fellow WLIR folks! I too have fond memories of listening
to 'LIR back in the 80's-- I always enjoyed listening to the commercials
and loved how sometimes some of the tunes they spun were interspersed
with soundbites of old comedy sitcoms and movies--- I have only one
Tape left over back when I started to record off the radio-- I think it
was around Xmas of 84--- I am thrilled reliving/ remembering old
obscure stuff that was once played! I seem to find myself going on
Treasure hunts of looking for those tunes--- it gives me heartbreak
to realize that a lot of those tunes are out of print and hard to find--- For example, I just remember 'Fred from Jupiter' from
Digette, and had no luck finding the recording--- If anyone has
the stuff recorded on tape or anything, and would'nt mind sharing,
Please let me know!
Shatty McPants
Running Up That Hill

Postby hateit » Tue Dec 16, 2003 12:13 am

I can't wait for that sh*t station to get off the air. There play list is the constant 15 song which are played over and over again. They just don't have any inkling how irritating that is and how fast people get tired of the same old lame music. Shut down already.....
hateit
Running Up That Hill

Postby Hockeybird » Tue Jan 06, 2004 1:00 am

It is with great sadness that I make this post.

1. The current station is a joke, but you knew that.

2. I will be moving out of NY and will not be taking my record collection with me. I would like to sell it but will not sell it to a store that will then mark up the prices to sell to collectors. I'd prefer to have as much of it as possible go to someone who really loved the music. The collection includes some actual disks used in the LIR studios, some autographed by the artists and of course many that you just can't find. Most were the ones I used as the DJ in clubs such as Paris NY, The Ritz, Malibu, Spit, Heartbeat, LaCache ect.

It breaks my heart to have to do this. These records have been with me for years and the memories are unbelievable. But, I must allow them to go as I can't bring 'em with me.

Contact me at scott@hockeybird.com
Hockeybird
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:53 am

[quote]Originally posted by Hockeybird
[br]It is with great sadness that I make this post.

[/quote]

Sorry to hear the news Bird. It was a godsend when WLIR first converted from AOR to new wave/alternative. I still remember the days when they were playing Steely Dan and Pink Floyd. The programming became so good, it was the only station I listened to (with the exception of the odd college radio show). It drove me crazy that I couldn't get it when I was away at college.

I remember going to concerts promoted by the station too. Even wore the "Dare to be Different" t-shirts until there were so many, it seemed kind of ironic.

You DJ'ed at a lot of my favorite clubs too. So I know I'm speaking for a lot of people when I say thanks for introducing us to such great music and good luck!

Disclaimer: The sentiments expressed above are in *no way* a suck up to get your records [:)]
Dave
The Jet Set

Postby Hockeybird » Thu Jan 08, 2004 5:12 am

Hello Dave.

Thanks for the kind words.

For many years I didn't talk much about those days as I was bitter about how it all ended for me. In retrospect, it was my fault as I overindulged if you know what I mean.

What most people don't know is that WLIR didn't create the greatness that it was. It happened by accident. The people like yourself who listened and participated in the process were the ones who drove it to it's greatness. Some might disagree, but I firmly believe that the minute management decided that THEY were the reason and began to "force" things within the format, it was doomed to fail.

It's part of the reason I became such a pain in the ass for management at the time. I knew what the outcome would be. Of course, it's all a moot point as the station was forced to sell because of FCC issues beyond our control. The new WDRE/WLIR could never recapture what occurred at the original station. It was magic....pure magic.

That said, some of the best times of my life were late at night at the studios talking thru a mic to you guys. The party out of bounds was a blast. And the clubs....where I really belonged, that was the best. If I played a crap tune or did a bad mix, you guys let me know right away. You also applauded if I were to do anything good.

I was also blown away by the support we got from bands we help break. Years after the fact, U2, Elvis Costello and many others still spoke highly of us.

The Bands and the people who followed said bands were what made WLIR great....not any one of us. There are of course some great DJs who worked there. Bob Waugh is one who gets forgotten and shouldn't be. Denis and his interviews were brilliant. There was a guy named Famous Bob who might has been the funniest guy I ever worked with.

All in all, I was a very lucky guy to have even been a part of it and it means a lot that any of you remember at all.
Hockeybird
Switchin' to Glide

Postby 2Nu » Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:49 am

You are so on with that commentary Dear Brother Bird.
The credit can't go to any one person or "thing", it was really a covergence and interplay of many unknown and unforeseen variables during that great entertainment era.
> The unique cultural demographics of LI & the metro NY region
> The political climate(Remember? "the tired old man we elected king")
> The MTV influence (symbiotic as it was)
> The metro LI club subculture, etc...
Perhaps a similar dynamic will be created again (via online music streaming perhaps?), and most important, must be kept out of the corporazzis clutches. This phenomenon cannot be manufactured or tweaked, IT JUST HAPPENS.
It Was a Great Ride Folks[:o)]
2Nu
Room at the Top

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central