Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Rings - Boston band 1981

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Postby randy » Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:04 am

New Models--Permanent Vacation--great tune
randy
Room at the Top

Postby will » Wed Jun 22, 2005 2:21 am

I just stumbled on this great thread. To see a scan of the Young Adults 45 sleeve:
http://www.geocities.com/nrbq-rules/

Mispent much of my youth at Lupo's and the Met Cafe. I miss RI and the music there terribly - got banished to Missouri for lave and money - least we got the Skeletons/Morells here
will
Running Up That Hill

Postby randy » Sat Jul 09, 2005 3:37 am

Seeing as I have had some luck finding old tunes lately I will put the call out again for anyone with The Young Adults "Its A Complex World" or "Beer"
Detectives--"Next Time"
Blind Dates--"Don't"
Schemers--studio version of "I Want Some Fun"
randy
Room at the Top

Postby unabashed0859 » Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:39 am

This is COOL!!! I Googled 'Sexexecs' and found this message board [:)] I have The Neighborhoods "Hoodwinked" ('91) on CD - would be more than happy to burn you a copy. Has "Prettiest Girl", but a much tamer, slower version than the one they kicked butt with in the clubs. Email if you'd like a burned copy.

[quote][i]Originally posted by andrewkstone[/i]
<br>Reptile Men -- what a great album. I wish the Neighborhood stuff would come out on CD. I've got the orignal 7" of Prettiest Girl, which is brilliant, and all their stuff on vinyl, but no working turntable.

Yeah, the Living Room was a great place. I remember the wall with all the band photos and the huge dressing room.

It was great being able to see so many Boston bands there, and then ending up in Boston for school, and seeing them all over again. Face to Face, til tuesday, Robin Lane, the Zulus, The Buddy System, Berlin Airlift ... the list goes on and on. Years later, I was able to use a lot of these bands and clubs in my first novel, ALL FLOWERS DIE. I created a band -- Brian's Sandbox -- and had them play with real bands at the Rat, the Channel, etc. Just to lend some authenticity and relive those special days.

Andrew K. Stone
Author of
ALL FLOWERS DIE and DISAPPEARING INTO VIEW
read the first chapter at
http://www.sotherebooks.com
[/quote]
unabashed0859
Running Up That Hill

Postby andrewkstone » Sun Jul 10, 2005 7:00 pm

Thanks unabashed -- I have Hoodwinked, which was produced by Brad Whitford, (you can almost hear his fingers squeezing the Les Paul strings!) I never liked that version of Prettiest Girl. To me, the original is -- and always will be -- the definitive version.

Still, the 'hoods were a great band to the end. There are a few cool 'hoods sites -- one in particular that has a lot of audio -- http://www.thehoodsonline.com/home.htm

Enjoy!

Andrew K. Stone
Author of
ALL FLOWERS DIE and DISAPPEARING INTO VIEW
read the first chapter at
http://www.sotherebooks.com
andrewkstone
Switchin' to Glide

Postby randy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:15 pm

Hell--just had to revive this old topic. Since posted oh so long ago, I rediscovered the Probers I Saw You Looking at where else--Lukes Record Exchange. It is on the JB-105 comp though-not BRU. Funny thing is that Luke saw me coming up the stairs with it and said-"Are you buying that for the Probers tune on it--I just got that disc back in yesterday! I knew it would not last long!"

Sad thing is --as everyone else has mentioned on the board before about local shops--my local vinyl Heaven--Lukes Record Exchange--is closing in May.[:(] I'll miss you you damn hippy!!!!!
randy
Room at the Top

Postby randy » Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:20 pm

Which remind me, Luke recently unearthed out the depths of his shop a full case of sealed "City History"--2 disc set recorded live at the Living Room. Bands such as Neighborhoods, Schemers , What Now, Rash Of Stabbings, Blue Ruin, Blind Dates , MX, New Models, Neutral Nation, Mumbling Skulls among others are ALL represented on it. If you are in the area--check it out before the shop is gone for good.
randy
Room at the Top

Postby tileboy » Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:32 am

This is stange! About a year ago this thread is what led me to the NWO. My brother had asked me to find out what I could about the Rings( he is computerless)and this thread popped up in the search.
As for the Rings I didn't really care for them that much.
Since this is a thread about Boston bands I see the Prime Movers are finally releasing a cd.
tileboy
Room at the Top

Postby randy » Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:39 am

Hey--- Energizer Bunny here--Had to bump the locals up one more time since I was a bonehead and forgot I had the Mundanes courtesy of Otter. I've actually picked up a few local things recently in --"possible"--anticipation of me converting them. And kudos to Coop for picking up that Blind Dates single when I was giving up hope on doing this at all.
randy
Room at the Top

Re: The Rings - Boston band 1981

Postby Thommo57 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 7:45 pm

Oh man, The Rings! Yeah!!
I understand the Cars comparisons but since they played some ska grooves, I was also thinking The Police would have been a contemporary influence.
I used to see those guys around town - Rik Ocasek at a health food store ( Erewhon? ) on Newbury Street, Greg Hawks ( the little guy!) crossing Harvard Square...Saw Tom Hamilton of Aerosmith shopping at the Star Market in Chestnut Hill. It was a fun time...!

The Rings were one of my fave bands, and I loved the albums. I saw what was their final show ( the onbly time I got to see them) in '82, but not sure where it was, maybe The Paradise? Does anyone know?
Anyway, I had sold off all my vinyl a couple of years ago and my Rings LP's were probably in there...Just getting back into Vinyl and I found both their albums sealed, and cheap on Discogs from a seller in Maine. He may have more copies- If anyone is interested I can pass on a link to his Discogs store.
The albums sound great - I was dancing and groovin! Long live The Rings!

Thommo
Thommo57
Running Up That Hill

Previous

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions