Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

12" mixes that should've been scrapped or reworked

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

12" mixes that should've been scrapped or reworked

Postby MikeP » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:09 am

Okay, how about 12" extended vocal versions that should best have been avoided altogether or could have been done much better.[xx(]

China Crisis - King in a Catholic Style (A weak mix ... what were they thinking? I actually heard this played in a club!)

Dial M - Modern Day Love (totally redundant and repetitive -- adds nothing to the single version)

Suburbs - Love Is the Law (a really disappointing mix)

Icehouse - Taking the Town
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Frau_Blucher » Thu Mar 04, 2004 9:21 am

I couldn't stand ANY of the Thompson Twins remixes. They took these short catchy pop songs and turned them into lifeless, repetitive and droning mish-moshes. Just my personal and humble opinion of course.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby swerve » Thu Mar 04, 2004 11:32 pm

Fiction Factory - Feels Like Heaven (stripped down to the bone disaster)

A Flock Of Seagulls - The More You Live, The More You Love (yikes!!!)

Most 12" extended vocal versions were quite good enhancing the sound and appeal of the song (some will arg
swerve
Personal Jesus

Postby fritzb » Fri Mar 05, 2004 7:06 am

I agree with myirwin about the Thompson Twins mixes. Most of them ARE really dull. Who needs to hear "Hold Me Now" go on and on for over 9 minutes... Jeeez! The 12" mix of "Sister Of Mercy" was the only one I can think of that was any good.
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby sirzap » Fri Mar 05, 2004 11:11 am

IMHO- I found most 12" 'Dub' remixes of 80's tunes to be mind numbing nods to the (then) emerging 'Zugga Zugga' hip hop studio production values. However, those 80's & early 90's tracks that were extended and remixed by the likes of Trevor Horn as with FG
sirzap
Take On Me

Postby Blaster » Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:33 pm

[quote]...or Steve Lillywhite with U2's "Two Hearts Beat As One" transformed an already respectable tune into a transcendent listening and o
Blaster
Take On Me

Postby tborg1987 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 6:41 pm

While I cannot always agree with you guys above on some of these... The thompson twins did a great 12 inch mix of "Make Believe(Let's Pretend)" in the early 80's (only mix i've heard with sitars!)... and one other 12 inch had some great African beats (so
tborg1987
Switchin' to Glide

Postby leadfoot » Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:13 am

I always found the later New Order 12"s to be tedious and ever-stretching. "Later" meaning in the later 80's, when they remixed a bunch of their "Substance"-era stuff: True Faith, Bizarre Love Triangle, Love Vigilantes... Nothing was wrong with the origi
leadfoot
Take On Me

Postby Jason² » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:24 am

Well, I think pretty much ANY re-recording is a bad idea. You fall in love with the original version, for whatever reason that version becomes hard to locate, so the artist re-records the song in a not-quite-as-good version.

Examples would be

Barbie
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby proufo » Tue Mar 16, 2004 2:37 am

I think that the remixes on the 12" American release of OMD's "Tesla Girls" were absolutely putrid.
As were just about ANY other remix post 1990!
proufo
Take On Me

Return to Vinylmania!