Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Late 80's Whatchamacallits.....Damn them!!.

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Late 80's Whatchamacallits.....Damn them!!.

Postby bpdp3 » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:36 am

So I've been going through the used vinyl bins fairly regularly for years now, and am always coming across unclassifiable releases from the '87 to '88 period. Quite often, they have a smooth/'adult'/almost jazz-influenced sound.

They all strike me as being early Sade/Swing Out Sister/Johnny hates Jazz type groups. Group photos always in B/W, guys wearing white t-shirts with vests, berets or wide brimmed hats,white socks with black shoes, usually British, kind of blue-eyed soul type stuff. Examples..

Animal Nightlife
Hue and Cry
Curiousity Killed the Cat
I'll think of a dozen more in within an hour...
Then Jericho
Immaculate Fools
these last two being less blue-eyed soul but always hanging out with the others in the used record bins....
Times Two
Bros
Is this stuff just disposable music-industry crap or does it have any value whatsoever to the devoted new-wave/eighties-sound collector? Am I being totally unfair to the musicians involved by lumping them all together in my mind??

I think if these groups had come out 6 years earlier they'd have all been in Haircut 100 or some more classifiably new-wave group - - How do you consider this period of music?? Late 80's one-offs??

Who would you add to this list, the list of too-late for new wave, late-80's 'hard to categorize' groups? Am I the only one who bothers thinking about such things??
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:19 am

Yeah, I liked some of these guys but regarded them as a kind of novelty branch off the adult-jazzy-pop family tree? More mainstream (and maybe mellower) members could have been The Blue Nile, early Everything But the Birl, Matt Bianco or even Simply Red -
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Momotaro » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:10 am

That's actually an interesting analogy, between the bands/style I'd mentioned and the more recent downbeat/ambient techno stuff, like zero 7 or royksopp. In a sense both scenes are enjoyable, maybe somewhat innocuous (I mean, none of this stuff makes you
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby Frau_Blucher » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:14 pm

Found the artist for "Lounge Against the Machine" - Richard Cheese. Yeah, the name's pretty Beavis and Butthead, but the music quality is actually much better than what you'd initially connote. It's not at all like Weird Al Yankovic type crap. The songs r
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby Momotaro » Tue Jan 06, 2004 12:56 pm

Wow. You just listed off some of my required listening for the late 80's/early 90's.

For me, there was a lull in the 87 to 88 period. I idolized Kraftwerk but grew tired of waiting for the follow-up to Electric Cafe. Synthpop's flame was flickerin
Momotaro
Take On Me

Return to Vinylmania!