Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Confessions of a new wave vinyl junkie

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Confessions of a new wave vinyl junkie

Postby bpdp3 » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:21 am

These are my bits of wisdom from years of hunting down new wave vinyl; I hope others will share theirs as well. If it inspires you to start a record collection, well...God help you.

(1) I find that a great deal of the new wave lps I pick up are marked 'for promotional use only' or have the call-letters for some radio station scrawled over them. What kind of radio station would just cast aside that copy of the 2nd Gary Myrick lp??

(2) When you have ALOT of records (like I do) you HAVE to alphabetize them, no matter what John Cusak tells you in "High Infidelity". Otherwise you'll never find them. NEVER get drunk and decide to re-organize your record collection (you'll only need to be told this once).

(3) When your record collection gets ridiculously over-sized (like mine) you forget which records you have and which you don't. I must've bought three copies of the Del Fuegos 'the longest day' because I just wasn't sure and it was only a buck.....

(4) I've never regretted paying too much for an lp. However, I have spent years regretting not picking up that copy of X's "Wild Gift" that just seemed too expensive at the time. If you see it and you've been wanting it, take my advice and grab it. Don't worry if you might find it $3 cheaper somewhere else. You can worry about justifying it to yourself later; you only live once.

(5) In fact, Never Hesitate! Never take it for granted that it will be there the next time. I must have eyed that Strawberry Switchblade lp six times and then one day I went back looking for it and it was gone! I went back through that pile of records for months with a forlorn look on my face, not believing my eyes! Who else in the world wanted that thing???

(6) I've never bought a record with the intention of selling it to someone else; I don't understand how the record dealers can do it. It'd be like parting with a kidney; I think I'm more likely to sell you my kidney than my copy of 'Meat is Murder'.

(7) I never bother to haggle the price with a record dealer. I figure, if he wants $5 for the Depeche Mode lp, then I can either pay it or skip it (note rule #4). These guys are just making a living and doing me a favor by bothering with records. I never haggle with McDonalds over the price of the Quarter Pounder with cheese....

(8) I never bring a record guide (like the Trouser Press guide) with me to a record store, but I always wish I had it with me.

(9) I recently started entering my collection into a Quattro/Excel-style spreadsheet, listng artist, title, and genre. Genre is a nightmare. I finding myself constantly wondering what genre to put the Cure, Madonna or Fugazi into.

(10) I've never bought a CD copy of a release I had on vinyl, but I've bought the vinyl copy of a CD I had. Every CD jewel case I've ever owned has snapped hinges.

(11) I've never been institutionalized. I was almost hospitalized when I moved my entire record collection from my 2nd story apartment to a house. Records are very heavy. Put some in a banana box and try to load them into a Honda Civic in the pouring rain..you'll get the idea.
bpdp3
The Jet Set

Postby stormkpr » Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:05 pm

(1) Sadly, my college radio station discarded all of its LPs about 2 years after I left. Now I wish I had stolen everything I wanted. But no, I had to be good.
(2) I always thought that was the most unbelievable part of the book, no one could remember
stormkpr
Switchin' to Glide

Postby sirzap » Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:02 pm

On a maintenance note, any suggestions or info on how to salvage a treasured collection of Nu Wave vinyl that fell victim to a termite infestation? Many of the record jackets & sleeves have been turned into pulp and the affected discs soiled. [:(]
sirzap
Take On Me

Postby Momotaro » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:33 am

Otters, I agree with you on the futility of 'genre' - - it IS too damn subjective. By the time I get down to 'jazz-inspired post-industrial hair metal', you know it's insane.

OK, so I've thought of some more vinyl wisdom - - -

(12) Don't EVER bo
Momotaro
Take On Me

Postby Plata66 » Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:50 am

You know your'e a new wave vinyl junkie when...you find a record in your collection that you can't remember buying and you have know idea what they sound like ,but you keep it because it has a cool cover.
Plata66
Take On Me

Postby Bob-O » Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:22 am

There was a time, about 79-84, when you knew what the band sounded like by the way they looked and the artwork on the album.

I have about 2000 lps and 12" singles, 500+ 7", and about 400 cds. CDs are disposable. Albums are a cherished memory.

I ha
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby Tomb » Fri Jan 16, 2004 9:28 am

[quote]Originally posted by Ollie Stench
[br]I have complete discographys of .......and Zodiac Mindwarp on vinyl.<hr height="1" nosh
Tomb
Take On Me

Postby unguarded moment » Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:38 pm

I also never Alphabetized my Collection.
I used to have various 12" & Albums in different places & racksin my room back in the 80's.
When I was going to play or make a tape, I knew what I was looking for & what "group" it would be in..
I was
unguarded moment
Personal Jesus

Postby Bob-O » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:53 am

[quote]Originally posted by Tomb
[br]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr hei
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby randy » Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:58 am

I had bought many an album based on the cover if there was something else that I did not want at the time. After all they were cheap--$3-$7 dollars. One dud Godley AND Creme "Snack Attack"
randy
Room at the Top

Postby Plata66 » Sat Jan 24, 2004 5:36 am

Yeah but all the earlier Godley & Creme,IE: "L" and Freeze Frame" were great!
Plata66
Take On Me

Return to Vinylmania!