Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

VINYL TO CDR

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Postby fritzb » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:59 am

I use my trusty old DJ turntable (c. 1989), a Technics SL-1200MK2 with a Stanton stylus.

The Technics SL-1200MK2 has been around for decades, virtually unchanged, and it's built like the proverbial brick sh|thouse. You should be able to find a good
fritzb
Room at the Top

Postby Bob-O » Sat Sep 06, 2003 6:04 am

I use Magix's Samplitude 7 for all my digitizing and editing. It works great and is easy to use...

Sound Forge is a great digitizing and manipulation program, but then you need another package to break it up into tracks, burn to disc etc. Samplitude
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby ballyhoo » Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:10 pm

This might sound dumb but,how do I hook up my turntable to the PC and record onto my hard drive? I would love to convert some of my vinyl but am very new to this technology :)
ballyhoo
Switchin' to Glide

Postby MikeP » Fri Sep 12, 2003 4:28 pm

Ballyhoo,

You need a preamplifier to boost the signal from the turntable. Some computer sound cards can do this directly, but the average sound card doesn't, so the easiest thing to do is to connect the turntable to your stereo (if this is feasible--i.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Bob-O » Sat Sep 13, 2003 12:38 am

This might sound dumb but,how do I hook up my turntable to the PC and record onto my hard drive? I would love to convert some of my vinyl but am very new to this technology :)

No such thing as a dumb question! If you never asked qu
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby ballyhoo » Sat Sep 13, 2003 1:26 pm

Thank you very much MikeP and Ollie Stench, I will be heading to the electronic shop next week for the cables. I have been wanting to try this for ages. As soon as I get the hang of this I will let you know how it turns out. I am sure more questions will
ballyhoo
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Jimbo » Sat Sep 13, 2003 8:44 pm

I hope no one minds if I stick my nose into this thread but there is a lot of stuff that is not being covered.

I have spent several hours a day for last month researching this problem and have gotten the opportunity to talk to a lot of very knowledgeab
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby Bob-O » Sat Sep 13, 2003 11:36 pm

Those are important points for audiophile quality transfers. I worked for 5 years as a mastering engineer for audio duplication and the sound cards we used were about $5k each (this was 10 years ago), and the thought of using anything less was laughable.
Bob-O
Take On Me

Postby ballyhoo » Sun Sep 14, 2003 9:03 am

Wow! I guess I better have a look at my sound card before I go anywhere. I just have a 2 year Dell 800mhz PIII and I believe it is only a sound blaster card. I will dig deeper and see if I need to start there, thanks:)
ballyhoo
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Jimbo » Sun Sep 14, 2003 4:48 pm

Wow! That was a screwed up post. It ate my comments, but left the quotes.

Anyways ballyhoo, what I tried to say was that if you are serious, you will need to spend some money and get a quality soundcard. The Echo Mia24 or MiaMIDI can be had for a $100
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby ballyhoo » Mon Sep 15, 2003 11:18 am

I think I will list what I have and let me know what you think. I would like to convert some of my vinyl to cd but like you said it can get expensive which I cannot afford. Right now I have a very reliable Dual 505 turntable, it's not hi end but has a dec
ballyhoo
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Jimbo » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:32 pm

That will get the job done.
You will need a good 24/96 soundcard, and make sure that your amplifier has dedicated phonograph inputs. If not, then you will need a phono preamp.
Those things range from $20 at Radio Shack to $10,000. I think a good sweet s
Jimbo
Room at the Top

Postby ballyhoo » Sun Sep 28, 2003 2:00 am

Thanks for the info Jimbo, I will do just that and start slowly. I will double check my sound card and all the other things you mentioned. I will let you know how it turns out, Thanks:)
ballyhoo
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Bob-O » Fri Oct 10, 2003 1:26 am

http://www.audiotoolsdirect.com/vinyl.shtml

pretty straight-forward and in somewhat plain english
Bob-O
Take On Me

Previous

Return to Obscure 80s Central