Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

VINYL TO CDR

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

VINYL TO CDR

Postby Amosboy » Mon Apr 07, 2003 2:16 pm

I too have the ability to pull vinyl over to cdr and clean the tracks up fairly well. I'll be happy to help out anybody I can. I finally gave up on a "re-issue" of UNTIL DECEMBER "Until December" on cd so I did it myself. Another obscure EP by THIS MORTAL COIL that has "Sixteen Days/Gathering Dust" on it I also did the same with.
Amosboy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Demetri » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:13 am

I'm assuming you're a fan of Tori Amos? Me too! Question for ya, or anyone else...I have the ability to transfer vinyl to CD but I keep getting a HUM on the tracks. I'm still not sure where to put a grounding wire. HELP!
Demetri
Take On Me

Postby MikeP » Sun Apr 13, 2003 7:39 am

Demetri,

I have the line hum problem too, probably because my stereo and my computer are on different power outlets. I'm able to eliminate it by using an alligator clip wire with one end connected to my computer (chassis or near the sound card) and the
MikeP
President Am I

Postby stillcool » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:52 am

Another option for you two and any others out there with hum - turn off or 'mute' the mike tick box in sound recording properties - it worked for me once. In fact mute everything but the one you need if you are unsure. Oh instead of using a mini crocodi
stillcool
Switchin' to Glide

Postby MikeP » Tue Apr 29, 2003 7:34 am

I'm a PC user, but I use a slew of programs when I master vinyl:

1) Record and clean up (declick/dehiss) my recordings using [b]DartPro[/b].
2) Optionally, I use a free utility called [b]CDWav[/b] to split an album into its individual tracks (without
MikeP
President Am I

Postby stillcool » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:04 am

That was a very quick reply Mike. I start with Just Audio by CeQuadrat as i've said. Then I use Audio Production Studio to convert the files from .wav to .mp3 at any quality rate I like and then I rename the files normally with an old program that looks
stillcool
Switchin' to Glide

Postby gbscobel » Thu May 01, 2003 1:19 am

Hey, this is to anybody with the ability to convert vinyl to cdr. I have a line on a couple of lp's that I would love converted to cd but don't have the equipment to do it myself. Right now, the 2 in question are Taxxi - Day For Night and Red 7 - S/T.
gbscobel
Running Up That Hill

Postby david9 » Sun May 04, 2003 10:18 am

I have years of vinyl to CD experience. The quality I have achieved is actually in comparison to some CD's I have purchased better. There is nothing funnier than listening to CD that is supposedly remaster from "the original tapes" and you hear pops like
david9
Running Up That Hill

Postby Alvy » Sun May 04, 2003 3:05 pm

The "puddle of water" thing is a good idea for a really badly damaged LP, but just remember, folks--you have to play it wet every time thereafter.
Alvy
Switchin' to Glide

Postby david9 » Tue May 06, 2003 5:15 am

I have often played the record at the club when I'm trying to play like a supposed "vinyl DJ" and don't have a problem having to wet the record every time. That's why you use distilled water, no mineral deposits are left on the record. I can't say that
david9
Running Up That Hill

Postby Go-Between » Tue May 06, 2003 11:25 am

This sounds like nothing against Achim, owner and top Bartender/DJ at the Funzel in Braunschweig, Germany. He dragged the records through the kitchen sink where he also cleaned the glasses, but you never heard a crack! Another example was Helmut (I think)
Go-Between
Switchin' to Glide

Postby Plata66 » Thu May 08, 2003 11:38 pm

Dr.Demento always advised to wash your older records in a warm soapy water and gently rinse then pat dry.Works for me, also musicmatch Jukebox 7.5 plus upgrade has alot of advanced ripping and editing features for a cheap price $19.95 I also rip my old si
Plata66
Take On Me

Postby Jason² » Fri May 09, 2003 3:18 am

I'm a pretty big Musicmatch user, but I can't seem to find these advanced ripping and editing features...

Where are they (and yes, I use 7.5 plus upgrade)??
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby Plata66 » Fri May 09, 2003 5:48 am

Under the recorder tab >then I think it's advanced settings you can set gap and sound level detection to have your vinyl seperated into seperate tracks rather than 1 big one.Error correction and record mute which gives you the ability to rip from CD at un
Plata66
Take On Me

Postby veruca8p » Fri Sep 05, 2003 4:00 am

In going over this (now a bit stale) thread, I don't see any mention of the turntables people are using for the ripping job. I have a lot of experience using the software tools everyone here uses and have had great success (to my ears) with rips using my
veruca8p
Running Up That Hill

Next

Return to Obscure 80s Central