Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

MV3 Episodes....

Discussions about the golden age of MTV and music videos, directors, techniques, DVD releases, etc.

Postby Sean » Thu May 12, 2005 9:39 am

You think if everyone on the NW Outpost emailed them, they would take it into consideration. An all day MV3 event.
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Shoyrtt » Thu May 12, 2005 12:24 pm

Good idea! Maybe someone can create a form letter to cut and paste? FYI: The link is no longer working [:(] http://www.freewebtown.com/mv3vidz/ "We regret to inform you...
This website has exceeded the allowed monthly data transfer limit!
(1.0 GB per month is the standard allowed free data transfer limit)"
Shoyrtt
The Jet Set

Postby Shoyrtt » Thu May 19, 2005 5:30 am

I found site with a MV3 Bangles video. It plays more like a slide show than a video.[:p] http://www.latvlegends.com/Dance/Dance.html [:)]
Shoyrtt
The Jet Set

Postby Shoyrtt » Thu May 19, 2005 5:56 am

I emailed today on a couple of leads to MV3 videos. I will let you know if I hear anything good.[:)]
Shoyrtt
The Jet Set

Postby bhs82 » Sat May 21, 2005 2:08 am

Ho Hum,

I have moved this site around a bit, and have not gone with a paid host just to avoid the possibility of litigation issues - even though I have a valid "argument" as to rights.

Anyway, FreeWebTown had a 1GB per month limitation when I signed up and transferred the site there... Apparently since then they have reduced the free bandwidth to 250MB / month. If and when that bandwidth is exceeded, you will get a prompting page.

The cycle for resetting the Bandwidth clock is the 17th of each month. Of course, should anyone wish to fork over $2, I believe that anyone is free to make a PayPal donation which would buy an additional 1GB bandwidth.

As for me, I only check in every other month or so. I was surprised to see the bandwidth exceeded so early into the cycle this time around.

Anyway, it will be a while before I have the time to deal with finding a suitable alternative, so for now, this is what we have.

Cheers
bhs82
Switchin' to Glide

Postby davew » Sun Jun 05, 2005 5:32 am

wow,theat latvlegends sight is killer,never thought id see clips of johnny otis or art laboes shows.

btw i have Xs appearance on MV3 on video.
davew
Switchin' to Glide

Postby crashsite000 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 5:12 pm

I was just thinking back to MV3 the other day and discussing it with my wife. I'm really happy to see those videos showing how the dancing kids dressed back then. Brings back a lot of memories and how much fun it was to shop at vintage clothing stores (Gasoline Alley) or punk shops (Electric Chair). Thanks for posting those clips. Makes me want to get my old red Vespa out of storage, read an issue of More Mayonaise and go cruise the local mall. Growing up in those days was a blast.

After reading through more of the posts I noticed some mentioning a MV3 dancer named Debbie Diamond. I wonder if this is the same Debbie Diamond from LA band, The Januaries? Someone else already mentioned it is, so that answers that question. Isn't it funny how someone in the crowd really stands out like that. I heard The Januaries a few years ago up in Seattle and complimented them via their website. I got a reply from Debbie. Little did I know that I was communicating with that blonde MV3 dancer from way back when. The Januaries album is really good so give it a listen. Back then Debbie had a Tracy Tracy sort of look (a la The Primitives - but even before The Primitives).

I also typed in MV3 on IMDB.com and it listed all three hosts and other things they were involved in. I'm not sure if this was discussed but MV3 was also mentioned in Bret Easton Ellis' book LESS THAN ZERO (but not in the lame movie attempt).

Sombody actually wrote the whole book out on the internet. Here's the mention:

"...We drive to Westwood. The movie Kim and Blair want to see starts at ten and is about this group of young pretty sorority girls who get their throats slit and are thrown into a pool. I don't watch a lot of the movie, just the gory parts. My eyes keep wandering off the screen and over to the two green Exit signs that hang above the two doors in the back of the theater. The movie ends really suddenly and Kim and Blair stay for the credits and recognize a lot of the names. On the way out, Blair and Kim spot Lene, and Blair grabs my arm and says, "Oh, no."

"Turn around, turn around. Lene is here," Kim says with this urgent voice. "Don't tell her we saw her on MV3 today."

"It's too late." Blair smiles. "Hello, Lene."

Lene is too tan and only wearing faded jeans and this totally revealing Hard Rock Cafe T-shirt and she's with this really young blond boy who's also too tan and he's wearing sunglasses and shorts and Lene shouts, "Oh my God. Blair. Kimmy."

Lene and Blair hug each other and then Lene and Kim hug and pretend to kiss each other's cheek.

"This is Troy," Lene says, introducing the young guy.

"This is Clay," Blair says, putting her arm on my shoulder.

"Hi, Troy," I say.

"Hi, Clay," he says.

We shake hands, both grips kind of limp and shaky, and the girls seem pleased.

"Oh my God, Blair, Troy and I were on MV3 today! Did you watch it?" Lene asks.

"No," says Blair, sounding disappointed, glancing at Kim for a moment.

"Did you?" Lene asks Kim. Kim shakes her head.

"Well, I couldn't see myself. Actually, I thought I saw myself once, but I wasn't too sure. Did you see me, Troy?"

Troy shakes his head, checks his nails.

"Troy was on it, but they missed me and I was dancing with Troy. Instead of getting me, they got some Valley bitch dancing next to Troy." She pulls out a cigarette, looks for a lighter.

"Maybe they'll repeat it and you can look more closely," Blair says, almost grinning.

"Oh yeah, for sure they'll repeat it," Kim agrees, grinning, looking Troy over.

"Really?" Lene asks hopefully. I light her cigarette.

"They rerun everything," Blair says. "Everything."

We never get to Nowhere Club. Kim gets lost and forgets the address and so we go, instead, to Barney's Beanery and sit there in silence and Kim talks about her party and I shoot some pool and when Blair orders a drink, the waitress asks for I.D. and Blair shows her a fake one and the waitress brings her a drink and Blair gives it to Kim, who drinks it down fast and tells Blair to order another one. And the two of them talk about how bad Lene looked on MV3 today."

Mark
Crashsite.org (a site about the 80's band, The Primitives)
crashsite000
Running Up That Hill

Postby TUTONE » Mon Aug 29, 2005 12:47 am

To bhs82

I love your page and I was a huge fan of the program Mv3.My main question to you is do you know who , if anyone ,owns the rights to the tapes of the program? Or if you know the name of the company that created it?
TUTONE
Running Up That Hill

Postby TUTONE » Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:25 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by bhs82[/i]
<br>Lo and behold...

Am I understanding correctly if I say that Kroq owns the rights and the tapes connected to the show? Is that in L.A.?
TUTONE
Running Up That Hill

Postby Sean » Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:14 am

I keep seeing this post and keep wishing that someone would post something like they will be releasing this show on DVD. They've released almost every other show imaginable, why not this one.
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby bhs82 » Sun Sep 11, 2005 5:41 am

I think I mentioned before that I spoke with Richard Blade once and he said that due to legal stuff, it is not likely that anything like that would be produced...

KROQ was the station Richard was on then, but they have absolutely nothing to do with the program... Richard was well established at KROQ back then as far as "the scene" goes, and since KROQ was the single most infulential station in promoting that genre, it was mutually beneficial for bands and Richard to do interviews and cross promote... Remember, MTV then was in it's infancy and at that, they predominantly played rock bands like zz top.

anyway - Tutuone, you are welcome. I sure wish I had not erased over episodes, and I hope that someone else out there has a small group of vids like mine that will one day make it to this board...

IF ANYONE DOES, PLEASE GET TO ME AND I WILL POST THEM ON THE SAME PAGE...

For now, Cheers
bhs82
Switchin' to Glide

Postby WJM50 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:57 am

[quote]Originally posted by EchoBeach
[br]Anyone have any MV3 episodes taped????

If so, I will pay handsomely for copies.

~~EB~~

[/quote]
WJM50
Running Up That Hill

Postby WJM50 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 6:59 am

[quote]Originally posted by EchoBeach
[br]Anyone have any MV3 episodes taped????

If so, I will pay handsomely for copies.

~~EB~~

As it turns out, I was the Associate Prodcuer and head writer for the show, and was just today making a copy of an old, not terribly outstanding VHS of several shows. If you're still interested, I'd be happy to send you a DVD of it.
WJM50
Running Up That Hill

Postby pinkyblue82 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 3:24 pm

Could I possibly get a copy of the shows you have? I will happily pay/trade if necessary.
Thanks,
Jay
pinkyblue82
Personal Jesus

Postby crashsite000 » Fri Nov 10, 2006 11:12 am

I recently posted MV3 video clips from the www.freewebtown.com/mv3vidz/ website onto YouTube. I also found two Bangles clips online and posted those.

There use to be clips of MV3 performances by Oingo Boingo and Lords of The New Church on YouTube. They have been taken off for some reason.

See what I have currently posted here: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=crashsite000
crashsite000
Running Up That Hill

PreviousNext

Return to Music Videos