Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Visage - Beat Boy (Special Cassette Edition) On CD

Re: Visage - Beat Boy (Special Cassette Edition) On CD

Postby omar » Wed Feb 09, 2022 7:42 pm

Still awaiting mine.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:28 pm

Got it today finally and love it. Always thought that Beat Boy was weaker than the previous Visage albums, but this special cassette mix blows me away. Thanks Scott, the remastering is excellent as always. No idea why I've ignored Yesterday's Shadow all these years. The 7' mix is top notch and Steve Strange's most moody/atmospheric moment.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby BigManRestless » Sun Feb 13, 2022 10:31 am

I was just going to say the same thing Omar.

Although this is one of the weakest Visage efforts (and probably the worst album with Steve Strange on it apart from Strange Cruise) Scott's remastering has made me appreciate it more - especially the more moody second half. Without all the squealing guitars and backing vocalists and it might have been better...but it is what it is.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:34 am

BigManRestless wrote:I was just going to say the same thing Omar.

Although this is one of the weakest Visage efforts (and probably the worst album with Steve Strange on it apart from Strange Cruise) Scott's remastering has made me appreciate it more - especially the more moody second half. Without all the squealing guitars and backing vocalists and it might have been better...but it is what it is.

I think it was miles better than Strange Cruise. It's actually gone up in my opinion over time. At first I reacted strongly against the squealing guitars and raspy lead vocals of Andy Barrett. Not to mention the femme BVs - the worst in The Visage canon! When they pop up in "Casualty," it really twists the knife.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:06 am

Great to hear people are receiving the CD and enjoying it. Yes, the album does have some of those 80's excesses that get worse throughout the rest of the decade, but it does have its fan base. I've already sold just over half of this first pressing of 1000 and that's even before putting it into distribution. I'm sure once it does get a wider release, likely some time in March, this pressing will soon sell out and I'll put in for a second (and likely the last) pressing. Where as all of the other Visage CD's sold around 3000 copies each, I won't expect Beat Boy to reach that level.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:06 pm

It is fantastic hearing this music mastered from the original tapes instead of a 33 year old pre-recorded cassette!
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby omar » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:01 pm

Rubellan wrote:Great to hear people are receiving the CD and enjoying it. Yes, the album does have some of those 80's excesses that get worse throughout the rest of the decade, but it does have its fan base. I've already sold just over half of this first pressing of 1000 and that's even before putting it into distribution. I'm sure once it does get a wider release, likely some time in March, this pressing will soon sell out and I'll put in for a second (and likely the last) pressing. Where as all of the other Visage CD's sold around 3000 copies each, I won't expect Beat Boy to reach that level.

Anything Visage related would be awesome Scott. What about Ronny? Have you tried to get her stuff available? I've yet to see her singles officially on cd. They're all vinyl rips.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Thu Feb 17, 2022 7:42 am

Rubellan wrote:This pressing will soon sell out and I'll put in for a second (and likely the last) pressing. Where as all of the other Visage CD's sold around 3000 copies each, I won't expect Beat Boy to reach that level.

Don't be sell yourself short! Just because you think that "Beat Boy" is inferior to "Visage" and "The Anvil" [you're right, of course] doesn't mean that it will necessarily sell in lower numbers than the earlier albums in the current market. The Cherry Red 2009 edition is OOP. There are 4 "Russian Federation" copies on sale currently on Discogs for $50-$100 [caveat emptor]. You are the only game in town right now for Visage fans and your edition is well mastered in the rare edition with even better bonus tracks. And you have primed the Visage market with your campaigns. We shall see.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Thu Feb 17, 2022 8:21 am

postpunkmonk wrote:
Rubellan wrote:This pressing will soon sell out and I'll put in for a second (and likely the last) pressing. Where as all of the other Visage CD's sold around 3000 copies each, I won't expect Beat Boy to reach that level.

Don't be sell yourself short! Just because you think that "Beat Boy" is inferior to "Visage" and "The Anvil" [you're right, of course] doesn't mean that it will necessarily sell in lower numbers than the earlier albums in the current market. The Cherry Red 2009 edition is OOP. There are 4 "Russian Federation" copies on sale currently on Discogs for $50-$100 [caveat emptor]. You are the only game in town right now for Visage fans and your edition is well mastered in the rare edition with even better bonus tracks. And you have primed the Visage market with your campaigns. We shall see.

We'll see how it goes. If sales are still strong towards the end of a second pressing then maybe, but if it falls sharply then that will be it despite the time remaining on my contract. But then, I'm starting to let things go out of print faster because committing to another 1000 units when sales slow is likely a mistake. In the past, I used to be able to get batches of 300 re-pressed but since I've been handling my own manufacturing for the last couple of years, the only cost effective unit amount is 1000 or nothing. So, even though my Missing Persons CD catalog has sold very well, sales of albums 2 and 3 have slowed quite a bit, so when these last bits of the second pressing sell out I have no intention of another re-press even though I have nearly 2 years left on my deals.

Also, I just received two clearances (so far) this week, one LP and one CD. I will announce the titles soon.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations