Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Vinyl Revival and the Resurrection of Sound

Discussions about vinyl records: rarities, obscurities and collectibles, promos, mixes, etc. DJ-related discussions are welcome as well as techniques for recording & restoring vinyl records to CD/MP3.

Postby SynthesizerMan » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:51 am

"It’s all over the news- from countless newspaper features (including a write-ups in the Wall Street Journal, USA Today and other major publications), numerous online articles, and even the CBS Evening News with Katie Couric. It’s the vinyl record revival and more importantly, the resurrection of analog sound.

Yes, vinyl records, left for dead with the advent of the ‘digital age’ are selling again. In fact, in 2008, it's reported that 1.88 million vinyl albums were purchased, which is the highest number since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking LP sales in 1991. …"

Read the rest here:
http://www.justpressplay.net/music/musi ... sound.html

world of noise
SynthesizerMan
Personal Jesus

Postby fiftypercent » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:34 am

You know, every time I read about this, I recall an interview Neil Young gave to Q Magazine in 1992. He said then that digital sound was clean, precise, and utterly without character. Like a photo reproduced on an ink-jet printer. Very presciently, he declared that the next 15 years or so would be considered "the dark ages" and that in about 2010 people would realize what they had lost and embrace analog again. Wish I could find a copy of that interview again, I've always remembered it.

http://mineforlife.blogspot.com
fiftypercent
Personal Jesus

Postby MikeP » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:07 am

Problem is that most music is recorded digitally so returning it to a natively analog format is a tad ironic, but you gotta love the purity of true analog sound.

Might there be some new advance in analog recording? I'm imagining something akin to a analog-digital hybrid where the waveforms are recorded using a digital vector format to preserve the precise waveforms. Maybe there already is or maybe it's pointless given the super high sampling rates available.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby obs » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:13 pm

The press and their vinyl revivals. They've been writing so much about it (past 10+ years) that you would think that every other store is selling vinyl like hotcakes [:D].
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Spectre General » Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:16 am

Well, I was in Best Buy the other day and they were selling Vinyl. Not very many and they were all new releases or comps but still.

-------------------------------------------------
What is love after all
but occasional steps
of a dance.........
.......In a trance?
Spectre General
The Jet Set

Re: The Vinyl Revival and the Resurrection of Sound

Postby Last Film Star » Sun Nov 02, 2014 9:26 pm

SynthesizerMan wrote:
Yes, vinyl records, left for dead with the advent of the ‘digital age’ are selling again. In fact, in 2008, it's reported that 1.88 million vinyl albums were purchased, which is the highest number since Nielsen SoundScan began tracking LP sales in 1991. …"

Once upon a time a single record would sell that many. This revival will die as quickly as it started. Once the kids get over the cool factor.
Last Film Star
Take On Me

Re:

Postby acanais59 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:27 am

fiftypercent wrote:You know, every time I read about this, I recall an interview Neil Young gave to Q Magazine in 1992. He said then that digital sound was clean, precise, and utterly without character. Like a photo reproduced on an ink-jet printer assurances deces. Very presciently, he declared that the next 15 years or so would be considered "the dark ages" and that in about 2010 people would realize what they had lost and embrace analog again. Wish I could find a copy of that interview again, I've always remembered it.

http://mineforlife.blogspot.com

I fully agree with that. Even if the digital sound is saturated.
acanais59
Running Up That Hill

Return to Vinylmania!