Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

English Beat

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

English Beat

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:32 pm

Has anyone seen them on the current tour? Is it just Dave and a backing band doing Beat, General Public, and solo songs?

They are playing a great small venue in town in June and I need to know if it's worth $25.
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Postby wozgo » Fri Apr 14, 2006 2:30 pm

I saw The English Beat last year in Seattle, Otters, and the show was great! The band was tight and Dave had a lot of energy and put on a good show. There was a backing band for the show that I attended. They played songs from all eras of his career. I think it's worth $25 if you're a fan. Especially in a small venue setting.

http://www.davewakeling.com
wozgo
Personal Jesus

Postby StormyPetrel » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:20 pm

I saw Colin Hay with a gigantic backing band last year. It was unbelievable. After his show we blasted down the highway to the EB show. We barely made it in time. Dave had some younger guys playing behind him and pre-recorded sax parts. It was still pretty damn good, but not as good as total live band.

So, I say, GO!!!!! The worst possible outcome is that you lose $25 and a couple of hours of your time. Also, do you think he will ever be back around???? Maybe not.

B
A

-~Obscene dreams in rusty beds.~-
StormyPetrel
Personal Jesus

Postby marie3 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:59 pm

If this is the same show some of us caught last summer: http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4376
I would spend the $25.00 and go. They sounded really good, and we were in a small venue as well. The only difference for us is we all got in for free!
Let us know Otters.
marie3
Der Kommissar

Postby highway1pch » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:19 am

Yes, it is Dave Wakeling and his backup band. However, they rock!

The usually play several southern California dates each year. I have been to plenty and I have never been dissappointed.

Wakeling often performs a lot from the first Beat album "Just Can't Stop It" and the first General Public album. I've only heard him play a couple of solo songs. Wakeling is a crowd pleaser and it's not unusual to see those on the dancefloor skankin' to the beat - especially when he performs "Twist & Crawl."
highway1pch
Personal Jesus

Postby Otters Walk Among Us » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:46 am

Very well. I shall go.

Anyone within two hours or so should conider heading to Northampton, MA to see them at the Iron Horse. The place is small, good beer and food, excellent sound. There's plenty of tables and chairs (which is good since they usually host acoustic folkies and Americana-type bands), but I don't know if those in front of the stage would be removed for an English Beat show.
Otters Walk Among Us
The Jet Set

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews