Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Chameleons 2022 Tour

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

The Chameleons 2022 Tour

Postby ABOATES » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:47 am

ABOATES
Take On Me

Re: The Chameleons 2022 Tour

Postby Bullion » Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:21 pm

I saw The Chameleons at Brighton Concorde 2 on 3rd February 2022. Ever so good, but was the first live music I had seen since the start of March 2020 . The concert was originally due to take place in 2020 to celebrate the 35th anniversary of the release of the album 'What Does Anything Mean Basically?'. The album was performed along with a few other tracks such as 'Swamp Thing' and 'Second Skin' . Still seems strange that the band never got the appreciation that they deserved. ...I know that a Youtuber recently named them ' Post Punk's Most Influential "Lost" Band'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlicv6rkUKA
Bullion
Switchin' to Glide

Postby ABOATES » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:53 am

Cool! I agree that they were(are) certainly one of the greatest post-punk bands ever and that they generally did not receive the recognition that they should have. I saw them at the Black Cat Club in Washington DC is 2000. Actually was able to go backstage and got all of the original members to sign my CD copy of Strange Times! Awesome show...total wall of sound.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Bullion » Tue Mar 01, 2022 4:18 pm

Indeed, it is a strange when a talented band such as The Chameleons who I don't recall getting any bad press, and who were appreciated by other musicians, just didn't seem to catch on with a wider public. it was tougher back in the early 80's, without Spotify, Youtube, bandcamp, etc in the sense that there were far fewer ways to get music across to people, and somehow the band never quite found their potential audience.
Bullion
Switchin' to Glide

Postby ABOATES » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:14 am

I think perhaps that they only had the three albums (back in the day) may have played a role in their lack of exposure. Plus, Strange Times was quite different from the first two records as well. I think they were on the verge of breaking through w Strange Times and if they had followed that up with another album as great, they might have been huge. Think of where the Bunnymen had left off if they stopped at Porcupine. Their greatest (commercial) success came from the Pretty in Pink soundtrack and Lips Like Sugar. Of course, they were certainly more popular to begin with and tracks like The Cutter, Rescue, and Never Stop were hits in Europe, but the US didn't really take notice until Songs to Learn and Sing was released.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby WLR » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:16 am

Script Of The Bridge is a fantastic album by them, certainly agree they never quite got the recognition they deserved.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby ABOATES » Thu Jul 21, 2022 12:55 pm

I love all of their albums, but my favorites are their last album, "Strange Times" and the Tony Fletcher ep..."Is it Any Wonder?" is such a brilliant song.

A shame they couldn't get along...it seems that Mark (the lead singer/songwriter, bass player) and the lead guitarist, Dave, simply did not like each other and after a number of difficult years they just decided enough was enough.

I saw them live (and met them backstage to sign my Strange Times CD!) in 2002 at the Black Cat Club in Washington DC. Great show... I understand that Mark is touring solo right now.
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby Angel17 » Fri Dec 22, 2023 1:44 am

I think that's a great tour. Pretty sure many people love that one. San Antonio Roofers
Angel17
Switchin' to Glide

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews