Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Thomas Dolby on tour again!!!

Post past and present concert & album reviews and interviews.

Thomas Dolby on tour again!!!

Postby General Boy » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:56 pm

For those who don't know, Thomas Dolby is doing a mini tour! I guess his stint opening for General Public went so well that he's decided to do some dates on his own!

In one of the first So Cal dates listed, Thomas is playing at the Anaheim House of Blues, opening for Colin Hay of Men At Work! What a cool bill! And only $17.50!

You can see a recent clip of Thomas performing "Hyperactive!" here:

http://www.thomasdolby.com/projection/live2006.html

Check the forum at thomasdolby.com for more tour dates!
General Boy
Take On Me

Postby avcool4u » Fri Feb 24, 2006 7:33 am

I was fortunate enough to have met Thomas at a music seminar he presented at NYU in the late 80's. Anyone else here go to that?
I can't remember what year it was, but it was amazing, changed my life.

-Tobes
Check out my new wave cover band in Western New York:
www.roar84.com
avcool4u
Take On Me

Postby wallofboingo » Mon Feb 27, 2006 9:02 am

3.09.06 Mighty, San Francisco CA
4.12.06 House of Blues - Anaheim, CA
4.14.06 Canyon Club, Agoura Hills CA
4.20.06 The Aladdin, Portland, OR
4.22.06 Fenix Underground, Seattle WA
5.03.06 Joe's Pub - NYC
5.04.06 Joe's Pub - NYC
5.05.06 Sellersville Theatre Sellersville, PA
5.07.06 Rams Head On Stage Annapolis, MD
5.08.06 The Birchmere Alexandria, PA
5.11.05 The Club Cafe, Pittsburgh, PA
6.25.06 London Hyde Park Wireless Festival (with Depeche Mode, Goldfrapp and Lou Reed)

This is what his tour schedule looks like so far. I will be attending the Seattle show with hopefully a group of folks as well. That should be JAWSOME.
wallofboingo
Take On Me

Postby avcool4u » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:24 am

That's awesome, thanks for posting the dates. I'm hoping to go the the Pittsburgh show. Gonna be awesome!

-Tobes
Check out my new wave cover band in Western New York:
www.roar84.com
avcool4u
Take On Me

Postby bigwavedave » Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:51 am

I agree, thanks for posting the dates. I may also try to catch the Seattle show.

I saw him for free in Seattle at the University of Washington during the 1984 tour with Modern English. The catch is I had to work the concert, which was fun except for the fact that I got assigned to watch the tour bus outside during Modern English's opening set! Oh well, I did get to see Dolby's set up close...his amazing performance of "One Of Our Submarines" is still burned in my memory!
bigwavedave
The Jet Set

Postby highway1pch » Mon Mar 27, 2006 2:21 am

I will have to make it to the Anaheim show!

Thanks for the update.

http://www.ocnewwave.blogspot.com/
highway1pch
Personal Jesus

Postby bongsteve » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:46 pm

Saw Thomas open for The English Beat and Dramarama at the Anaheim HOB a couple of months ago and he was great, especially for someone who has really not done any music since the early 90's. There is/was a really good recording of his San Fran show on dimeadozen.com. Here is the setlist:

Leipzig
I Live in a Suitcase
Flying North
Europa and the Pirate Twins
She Blinded Me With Science
Encore: Hyperactive

Hyperactive was very cool as he actually built/created the song one piece at a time on his computer. Supposedly the setlist will be longer for the upcoming tour...at least an hour. We've got our tickets for April 12th in Anaheim. Here's a link to Thomas' new blog.

http://version.thomasdolby.com/index_frameset.html
-Stev
bongsteve
Running Up That Hill

Postby highway1pch » Fri Apr 14, 2006 5:22 am

It was awesome to see Thomas Dobly. The digital camera on his headset was great so that you could see the keyboard projected on the screens from time to time.

Colin Hay from Men At Work was really impressive too!

Playlist:
Leipzig
One Of Our Submarines
I Live In A Suitcase
Flying North
Budapest By Blimp
Windpower
Europa & The Pirate Twins
Hyperactive!

Encore:
Airhead!

http://www.ocnewwave.blogspot.com/
highway1pch
Personal Jesus

Postby Jim EAPG » Tue Apr 18, 2006 1:03 pm

I have tickets for the Royal Oak Michigan show on Saturday May 13. I needed something to do while my wife goes to Chicago to meet a friend from Minnesota and see Depeche Mode again (we saw them at the Palace last November.) Going to be an expensive concert year I think. I'm looking forward to seeing Thomas, never did get to see him back in the day. Too many concerts I've missed over the years.

Jim
Jim EAPG
Running Up That Hill

Postby Max Murdoc » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:18 am

Got tickets to see him in Cleveland....gonna be a good show I can tell. I have been trying to see bands that I missed back in the day that are playing now. Saw Devo last year.

I missed Flock of Seagulls then and I missed them again...it gets worse, I thought that it was just Mike Score and his version of the band so I didn't go but it was all of the originals!!!!!and it was about 2 miles from my house!!!!!! It was after that VH-1 series where they locate the bands and get them together for a show.....damn....and I missed it.

Max

The music you listen to is the soundtrack of your life.
Max Murdoc
The Jet Set

Postby wallofboingo » Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:15 pm

GREAT GREAT show last night in Seattle. The ONLY thing that wasn't so cool were the 3 sloshed folks who were drunkenly yelling "SCIENCE!" a lot, but I suppose that is kind of to be expected and it didn't hurt the show once Dolby got into it.

The setlist was....

Leipzig
I Live In A Suitcase
Flying North
The Flat Earth (instrumental synth demonstration building the song layer by layer)
Budapest By Blimp
Windpower
Europa and the Pirate Twins
Hyperactive

Encore:
One Of Our Submarines
Airhead

I was scared that he wasn't going to do Submarines after he skipped it at the beginning due to technical diffculties, and very glad when he played it at the encore.
Highlights? I would say Budapest By Blimp (very beautiful, more sparse rendition of the track), Windpower (excellent beats, great visuals on screen added to music) Science (very cool how the audience participation helped this song) and Airhead as the final number.
Let me just say that the new rendition of Airhead is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than the original version. You MUST hear the new intro and how beefed up and cool the bassline is to this new version. I seriously wanted to freak out and dance like a madman once the bassline kicked in after the synthesized scat lines. I didn't want to step on too many peoples feet, though. So I just bobbed my head manically during the duration of the ditty.
It was TONS o' fun and I got to yell and shout "DOLBY, YOU'RE A GOD!" and truly mean it. I came with a friend who only knew a few songs and she came out saying she was very impressed and that Dolby seemed like an extremely nice, polite performer and that she would most definitely come to see him again if he came back. It was such a fun time!
Oh! And before the show as I was coming up to the front entrance, Dolby walked right past me and I shook his hand, it was indeed a great night. If you have a chance, go check out one of his shows, you will be very pleased.
wallofboingo
Take On Me

Postby highway1pch » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:26 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by wallofboingo[/i]
Let me just say that the new rendition of Airhead is LEAPS AND BOUNDS better than the original version. You MUST hear the new intro and how beefed up and cool the bassline is to this new version. I seriously wanted to freak out and dance like a madman once the bassline kicked in after the synthesized scat lines. I didn't want to step on too many peoples feet, though. So I just bobbed my head manically during the duration of the ditty.
[/quote]

I too, was blown away by Airhead in Anaheim. I was calling out for the song awaiting the encore. I was ecstatic when he came back and I heard that synth bass line.

<a=href"http://www.ocnewwave.blogspot.com/"> OC New Wave </a>
highway1pch
Personal Jesus

Postby wavydavy67 » Wed May 03, 2006 9:12 pm

So I have a 7 year old daughter, who likes Thomas Dolby. I have tickets to see him in Sellersville, PA tomorrow night, and I am wondering if it would be OK to take her. Can anyone who has seen the show offer any input about whether or not it would be appropriate? She's a great kid - loves music. Thanks!
wavydavy67
Running Up That Hill

Postby highway1pch » Thu May 04, 2006 3:39 am

As long as it's an all-ages venue, the show itself would have been appropriate for young and old alike.

<a href="http://www.ocnewwave.blogspot.com/"><font color="#ff6600"><font size=+1.5>OC New Wave Blog</font></a>
<font color="#00ff00"><font="westminster">Music videos, Orange County concerts, and more.</font>
highway1pch
Personal Jesus

Postby Max Murdoc » Wed May 10, 2006 9:35 pm

Saw Dolby last night in Cleveland.....far from a packed house which was good for us. Excellent show....sound was great with one small glitch but Mr. Dolby acted as though nothing was wrong....played it off by improvising.

Great banter in between tunes......said the last time he was in Cleveland, David Thomas (Pere Ubu) took him home and made him curry and he almost missed his own show.

Crowd was receptive (young and old). "Wind Power" was brilliant! "Submarines" was also cool...everything sounded great. Ended with "Science" (what would you expect?)

All in all....I'd give it a 9 out of 10. One point deducted because the show wasn't long enough! We could have stayed and listened all night!

Max

The music you listen to is the soundtrack of your life.
Max Murdoc
The Jet Set

Next

Return to Concert & Album Reviews / Interviews