Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The reason for your name?

Reserved for off-topic posts.

Postby nowhere girl » Sun Sep 05, 2004 8:43 am

I chose the name Nowhere Girl because I like the B-Movie song of the same name, and because I am in a small town in the Inland Empire that most people try to get out of, but I still kind of like it because of all the memories here. And because, like in the song, I'm "living in a dream"!

Nowhere Girl[:o)]
nowhere girl
Personal Jesus

Postby oneno » Sun Sep 05, 2004 9:31 am

Mines easy' Last name is Henson and love Brian Eno.
Henson+Eno=hensoneno
my license plate is:ONENO1
my motorcycle is:VenoMax an 85'Yamaha V-Max, nifty how eno fits in the middle.
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby phillyidol » Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:48 pm

[quote]Originally posted by marie3
[br]My name is Marie and I have 3 children. My name sounds very boring and I guess I should have thought of a more "new wave" name but I can remember Marie3 easily, if you have children you know what I mean![;)
]
To get on the subject of Devil dogs. When I lived in Florida in 84, they didn't have drakes cakes there either (or boarshead cold cuts for that matter or new wave music!) My mom worked in a deli for years and the drakes man would give her boxes of devil dogs and other goodies to bring to me when she would vist Florida. Phillyidol, how are you doing??? Ready for the summer to be over? Are any of your daughters starting school? My youngest is starting kindergarten.[:(]

[/quote] If you are like me, you are freaking out right now. I get more stressed out over my kid! Your kid will be fine, good luck and no stress! Zeppoles Rule!
phillyidol
Room at the Top

Postby romanticide » Sun Sep 05, 2004 4:17 pm

As several on this board have noted, from the Combo Audio song. I was a DJ during the late new wave era in Champaign, Illinois. The best version is the original demo from the Record Service 20th Anniversary compilation. More driving and less melodramatic.
romanticide
Take On Me

Postby Surly » Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:09 pm

Mine is a Simpsons reference - it's one of the beer bottle characters at Duff Gardens. Lisa asks him for help and he replied "Surly only looks out for one guy: SURLY!" (I'm not really surly in real life). I first tried out a message board back in 1996 and needed a name quickly; this one just sort of popped into my head. I've had to use a few variations on other boards (supersurly, surlyone, surlyalmighty).

All this NYC talk is making me homesick. I used to live in Park Slope until about 9 months ago. I'll be back there soon.

Oh, and my DJ name is DJ Surly. My license plate: NEWWAVE.
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby christsmasher » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:10 am

Beatschool, that's TOTALLY cool that you teach beats to kids!

I love my name. It sounds evil, but it's totally not meant to be. I get a lot of flak for it, but I've been Countess Christsmasher for about four years now, and she's totally taken over my body, mind and soul, lol. It is my DJ name, my internet handle all over the www and my performing/producer name.

The actual pairing of the words came during a stoned band rehearsal with my friend Richard. He has a particular affinity for Religious statues and icons and had brought a huge ceramic Jesus statue to rehearsal. For some reason I was pissed off at something or other completely unrelated. I think I said "I'm so pissed I could smash Christ". He called me Christsmasher and that was that.

The concept of "Christsmasher" further evolved after that. It was a name to grow into, not to assume. A lot of people think it's about Jesus, which is simply not the case. I intended the name to imply a rejection of conventional thought and idolotry, in order to embrace new concepts and freer thought. It has more to do with culture than religion. It is shocking, which is somewhat neccesary, but I'm all about respect for the higher powers that be.

Anyhow, there was a Simpsons episode making reference to the name "Christpuncher", which I found rather amusing.
christsmasher
Take On Me

Postby KYYX4ever » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:39 am

[quote]Originally posted by christsmasher
[br]
The concept of "Christsmasher" further evolved after that. It was a name to grow into, not to assume. A lot of people think it's about Jesus, which is simply not the case. I intended the name to imply a rejection of conventional thought and idolotry, in order to embrace new concepts and freer thought. It has more to do with culture than religion. It is shocking, which is somewhat neccesary......[/quote]

Christsmasher,
I hear you there. I think we all need more of that--questioning convention, opening one's mind to freer thought & concepts, etc. "Smashing Christ" is like a metaphor in this case: "Smashing Convention". You go !
KYYX4ever
Room at the Top

Postby Ollie Stench » Mon Sep 06, 2004 2:59 am

I've been Ollie Stench since 1982. I took "Ollie" from Ollie Wisdom of Specimen (and The Unwanted), "Stench" because it sounded punk rock. Only later did I learn of the world famous Stench Brothers Jon and Hillary.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby phillyidol » Mon Sep 06, 2004 12:22 pm

Christsmasher, do you have a video for your band? I saw the video for the synth thing (very cool) but I'd love to see the band in action![8D]
phillyidol
Room at the Top

Postby hexicon » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:33 pm

And of course Christsmasher relates back to the original and historic meaning of iconoclast, appropriate in both senses.
hexicon
Room at the Top

Postby bowiestation » Mon Sep 06, 2004 1:54 pm

When my mom was alive,she got me my first David Bowie album in 1974 when I was 10 years old.Hence, I have always been a fan of his early material--especially, in 1976 when "Station To Station" was released which is one of my favorite albums aside from "Pin ups".I could not think of anything else.I admit, back in 96 when the internet was still new, it was a nightmare creating a name for yourself thru AOL and I chose Skafish which was really enigmatic to my non new wave friends. At least AOL did not give me any grief on that one.
bowiestation
The Jet Set

Postby troutbreath » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:19 am

[quote]Originally posted by kimiiii
[br]One note: my all-time favorite names on this board are KYYX4ever and TROUTBREATH.

One is a fabulous radio station from my youth

and the other one is just so disgusting, it makes me laugh.
[/quote]

Kimiiii, I don't think KYYX4ever is disgusting. [;)]

Seriously, I am an avid fly angler and don't like taking myself too seriously. Oh, and if you ever met me you would realize that I can be a talker so....

TB
troutbreath
Take On Me

Postby mare_idol » Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:21 am

Mare is short for Mary Anne.

When I was in my first (and only) band, as a teenager, I called myself Mare Idol, borrowing from Billy Idol of Generation X, my favorite band back in the day...

I still use the name "Mare Idol" when I DJ on occasion.
mare_idol
The Jet Set

Postby phillyidol » Tue Sep 07, 2004 11:05 am

I don't fish because if you fish in Brooklyn you might pull in a dead body.(wink wink, nudge nudge, know what I'm sayin?)[;)]
phillyidol
Room at the Top

Postby troutbreath » Wed Sep 08, 2004 12:42 am

[quote]Originally posted by kimiiii
[br]TB, Dang, it took you a LONG time to join in! I have been anxiously checking each day to see if you had posted your reason or not... it's about time!!!![/quote]

Sorry it took so long Kimiiii but, well, if I don't have to be in front of this blasted PC, I am not! Oh, and glad I got you!!![:)][:D][:)][:D]

TB
troutbreath
Take On Me

PreviousNext

Return to —Not Necessarily New Wave—