Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: 7" collections - Thompson Twins

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - OMD

Postby WLR » Tue Nov 22, 2022 2:20 pm

Thank you for the OMD, brilliant compilation.

I have the OMD CD Navigation The B-Sides, that contains "Concrete Hands", is that any use to you or is your rip from that album??
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:12 am

Thank you guys for your nice feedback, most heartwarming :D

WLR, I also have "Navigation", this is probably where the file in the collection came from. I also have a 7" but nothing to digitize it on at the moment. Will try to do something about it.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby AJWAVE » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:16 am

Thank you Pass. A new addition to your singles post.
Best regards.
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby Gazebo Music » Thu Nov 24, 2022 8:04 am

Thank you Passing Stranger for these collections! B-sides would be cool as well so you have my vote! Thanks
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Tears for Fears

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Nov 30, 2022 12:06 pm

Hi there! Got slowed down by the lack of Internet connection so only unveil the new installment now, hope no-one's offended :D Here's another band that I had a hard time getting into, both vocally and musically, there was always something off, I could never understand reasons for their success. With the years mounting, though, I feel I started to understand them better. Funnily enough, it's the B-sides that I gravitate towards - the songs are generally better than those on albums while the experimental tracks are among the best I heard from the decade, I pity the fact they only did a handful of them.

For years I tried to collect their singles in various forms - but while late 1980s and onwards are fully covered by CD releases, their previous ones are few and far between for some strange reason. You'd think such a hugely successful band will be readily available - but oh nooooo! In fact this is another faulty collection - I could never find a decent copy of "Ideas as opiates" as released on the B-side of "Mad world". One of their biggest and most-well known hits, and yet no rip of its vinyl release anywhere - howzat?! So it's you people I reach out to, please help me out :( Otherwise it's pretty much all there, and the interesting thing is that there were next to no international variations in B-sides - what was released in the UK was simply copied everywhere else. Quite a difference from the late 1970s - early 1980s when the B-sides could differ from country to country wildly.

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/j8NGhBRB#_vvTDZTfL68mQi9jx7t55g

Enjoy!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Gazebo Music » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:22 am

The one band that takes me back to my younger years unlike any other! Ps: "Ideas as Opiates" a fav of mine.....Thanks Passing Stranger
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Thu Dec 01, 2022 7:47 am

i really like tears for fears.

but their b-sides are pretty subpar.
(ok, a couple are good), but the experimental parts,
and instrumentals aren't that great.

the band doesn't ever want to release 'wino' or
other ones either.

anyways, thanks for posting another great collection.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby moni » Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:13 am

negative1 wrote:i really like tears for fears.

but their b-sides are pretty subpar.
(ok, a couple are good), but the experimental parts,
and instrumentals aren't that great.

the band doesn't ever want to release 'wino' or
other ones either.

anyways, thanks for posting another great collection.

later

Wino was on the box set of The Hurting though it is crap to be fair and one of their best b sides of that era We Are Broken was not on the box set which was annoying. Their b sides started getting better when it was just Roland with the singles from Elemental and Raoul.
moni
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:40 am

Yes, "Wino" was released on the "deluxe" of "The hurting" but how deluxe is that when it didn't include the original "We are broken" and "Ideas as opiates" is not the B-side version, as indicated, but an alternative LP mix? I'm constantly amazed by these blunders from the record companies. And they didn't even offer a replacement disc! Crazy stuff.

Speaking of the TFF B-sides, they're simply quirkier and more off the wall than the songs on LPs. "We are broken" is great, the original "Prisoner" is much better than on the LP, the instrumentals are ace, even the piano songs feature a much better vocals. And I agree with moni, B-sides from 1993 onwards are top-notch, in fact they're better than the A-sides to me. Interesting how it turns out and TFF look very intriguing for that.

P.S. As for the full list of the contents of these collections for reference, I'll do it sometime soon :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby moni » Sun Dec 04, 2022 3:08 am

Another one missing from the box set was Saxophones As Opiates because they didn't like that yet they included Wino :shock:
moni
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:59 am

moni wrote:Another one missing from the box set was Saxophones As Opiates because they didn't like that yet they included Wino :shock:

I personally am not a big fan of saxes but Saxophones As Opiates is actually quite a nice version. I don't understand this "we don't like it" stance. It was released? Get it on and don't interfere. This censorship of history is very sad.

As for "Wino", well, I got used to it. Synth it up and it's a nice little song (though I struggle to understand what they wanted to say with it). Even as it is it's very surprising coming from the band so reliant on technology. Such unexpected detours I think keep the discography interesting :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Fred80s » Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:21 am

Another fine addition to this wonderful series.
Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Postby negative1 » Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:53 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:Yes, "Wino" was released on the "deluxe" of "The hurting" but how deluxe is that when it didn't include the original "We are broken" and "Ideas as opiates" is not the B-side version, as indicated, but an alternative LP mix? I'm constantly amazed by these blunders from the record companies. And they didn't even offer a replacement disc! Crazy stuff.

Speaking of the TFF B-sides, they're simply quirkier and more off the wall than the songs on LPs. "We are broken" is great, the original "Prisoner" is much better than on the LP, the instrumentals are ace, even the piano songs feature a much better vocals. And I agree with moni, B-sides from 1993 onwards are top-notch, in fact they're better than the A-sides to me. Interesting how it turns out and TFF look very intriguing for that.

P.S. As for the full list of the contents of these collections for reference, I'll do it sometime soon :D

yes, you are right.

i got their bad b-sides mixed up because i hate listening to those songs.

'ideas as opiates' was the one i should have said.

thanks for correcting me, and reminding me of how bad they are.

---
now the really crazy thing is that they don't like 'the way you are' either,
because they felt like it was a stop gap song, that didn't raise the bar
on their music.

it is literally my 2nd favorite song from them, especially the extended version.

i loved the single, especially the japanese EP with it on their. i felt like i found
a lost song, when i first saw a copy in the import store.

later
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:17 am

negative1 wrote:now the really crazy thing is that they don't like 'the way you are' either,
because they felt like it was a stop gap song, that didn't raise the bar
on their music.

it is literally my 2nd favorite song from them, especially the extended version.

I don't understand the hate "The way you are" receives. It's a great song, interesting arrangement and a great chorus! In fact, the whole single is great - its B-side, "The marauders", is one of my favourite instrumentals. Perhaps it simply wasn't as successful as the previous ones, therefore is considered subpar. But in the end it's we, the listeners, who judge the artists' work, so no problem :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Eurythmics

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:18 am

So nice to have both kind comments and enlightening discussions here about the artists featured :) Meanwhile the service resumes with yet another biggie, one of the brightest stars of their era and an enduring influence even today. Eurythmics have a vast legacy which is criminally underappreciated and not fully represented digitally. It really is a puzzle - bands and artists nowadays exploit their catalogue to the max, while this duo only seldomly received attention. What is especially sad is that their experimental work of the early 1980s is practically neglected - shoddily featured on CDs and rarely talked about, while being some of the bravest explorations in the field of electronic sound at the time. I don't understand what's going on, and this little collection is a way to rectify the oft-neglected 7" format of their work.

Well, it's not that little, actually - nearly 1.5 Gb in all (the duo was pretty prolific, with about three dozens of releases in less than 10 years!). It can be full 1.5 Gb if here are people who are willing to help with a couple of tracks. It's the live recordings from the Roxy club, featured as B-sides on "Miracle of love" and "Missionary man" UK singles. I have the recording in lossless but the sound is about twice as loud as the A-sides, probably some recent crapmaster which I try not to use. If anyone has rips of those two songs - "When tomorrow comes" and "The last time" - please do share, it'll make this collection complete.

Meanwhile here are their 7" releases in all their digital glory. I mainly used vinyl rips for releases from 1981 to 1986 and since 1987 it's the original CD singles and compilations. Overall sounds pretty nice and represents both their commercial and experimental spirit.

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/Sk9SjAAS#JXnIpKh1HQftYhT9xD48xQ

Enjoy!
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Tue Dec 06, 2022 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central