Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Share: Rip It Up And Start Again (Postpunk 1978-1984)

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Share: Rip It Up And Start Again (Postpunk 1978-1984)

Postby Uvox » Tue Sep 21, 2021 8:08 am

A book by Simon Reynolds titled "Rip It Up And Start Again - Postpunk 1978-1984" was mentioned in a recent topic, but few know, the same author made a CD compilation under the same name - to promote the book?

FLAC
https://mega.nz/file/sc9EgRBB#DwGY0HlFt ... Pty6RxXoiw
Uvox
The Jet Set

Re: Share: Rip It Up And Start Again (Postpunk 1978-1984)

Postby borsnark » Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:43 am

Thank you,

R
borsnark
Take On Me

Postby Passing_Stranger » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:03 pm

I remember being repulsed by the book. The author was (is?) so smug and obnoxious in his firm-held belief that everything electronic was not only lesser to "worthy" guitar-based underground stuff but downright evil! The whole electronic wave of 1980-81 that revolutionized music as we know it was dispensed with in about two-three pages in the slightest manner possible! Hugely influential bands like Ultravox got short shrift (well, that Reynolds guy didn't hide his hatred for them on his blog, which is just as well). And his barely-hidden stance on being the most knowledgeable man about New Wave on Earth and that only what he likes constitutes "good music"... well, you simply got to keep your ambitions in check! Yeah, the book provided wealth of information - but was so opinionated and one-sided it's sometimes downright laughable or embarrassing to read nowadays. Good to know there are equally interesting (sometimes even better) books on the subject nowadays.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Uvox » Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:30 pm

Nevertheless, Cabaret Voltaire (RIP Richard Kirk, who passed away this week, they say.........), The Human League and Heaven 17 are here in this compilation, which is a sufficient tribute to the synth part of the new wave...
Uvox
The Jet Set

Return to Obscure 80s Central