Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

SHARE: 7" collections - Thompson Twins

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Nik Kershaw

Postby Gazebo Music » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:17 pm

Brilliant sets as always Passing Stranger....Cheers!
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Nik Kershaw

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:09 pm

Gazebo Music wrote:Brilliant sets as always Passing Stranger....Cheers!

Thank you, Paul, always nice to see your approval :D Sorry I don't comment as often on your great shares - work gets in the way. But it's very much appreciated and cherished, keep it up!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - A Flock of Seagulls

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:23 pm

Here's the next band for whom I was able to create the good-sounding 7" compilation - A Flock of Seagulls, critically rather underappreciated (to say the least) but publicly very well-loved and highly-regarded. In recent years there were two fantastic (both expertly compiled and fine-sounding, which gets damn rare nowadays) compilations of their work - "Wishing (The Very Best of)" and "Remixes & Rarities". Those became the basis for this collection, with occasional vinyl rips thrown in (their first single, for example, saw no light of day digitally, so I used the best sounding rip of the several ones I have; also, a couple of B-sides). I covered the usual 1981-1986 timeframe and thankfully got everything in one place.

My only gripe is the crazy 1980s habit of placing live recordings of already available songs on B-sides of 7" while the original tracks (songs or instrumentals) were available on 12". First we saw this with Ultravox's "All in one day" whose 12" had a fantastic instrumental "Stateless" as a bonus unavailable on 7", here we have to contend with the live take on "I ran" on the 7" of "Transfer affection" while there was a classy "Quicksand" on the 12" only. There'll be more examples of this incomprehensible reasoning - China Crisis and... well, probably shouldn't get ahead of myself here :D

Anyway, we can't change the history so, without further ado, here's AFOS in all their 7" glory!

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/qokEFL7K#pmBRuhWbWB7pY4AVvDghfg

Enjoy!
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby retromusic » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:57 am

Thanks for these, V.
I am playing catch up, starting with your Ultravox comp. Much appreciated, as always. It's good to get the singles versions all in one place.
retromusic
Personal Jesus

Postby Sean » Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:06 am

Passing_Stranger, thank you for all of these. You are spoiling us. :)
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Wed Jul 20, 2022 4:27 pm

Thank you for the nice comments, guys! So nice to share with this great community! :)
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:08 pm

Excellent work. Thanks. Hope you could provide King/ABC/Eurythmics 7"s too.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby AJWAVE » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:14 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:Thank you for the nice comments, guys! So nice to share with this great community! :)

Thanks to you mate
omar wrote:Excellent work. Thanks. Hope you could provide King/ABC/Eurythmics 7"s too.

I second that!
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:53 am

Thank you, guys! Very heartwarming to see good feedback!

omar wrote:Excellent work. Thanks. Hope you could provide King/ABC/Eurythmics 7"s too.

Two of the three you guessed right, mate :D
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby Gazebo Music » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:43 pm

Passing Stranger, thanks for putting in the time to compile these collections! Very nice work indeed! Cheers
Gazebo Music
Personal Jesus

Postby Fred80s » Sat Jul 23, 2022 12:18 pm

Excellent stuff.
Fred80s
Personal Jesus

Re: SHARE: 7" collections - Blancmange

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:30 am

It's very heartening to see good reactions from you, fellow NW lovers, so let's not waste time in unveiling another collection. This time it's Blancmange, and again the bulk of it is taken from CDs - namely early 1990s compilations called "Heaven knows" and "Third course". It's supplemented for B-sides with some tracks from 2008 reissues which surprisingly sounded quite close in level.

There were two numbers, though, that I had to tamper with. Short version of "Vishnu" (single #6) was in, erm, short supply regarding the good sound quality - what I had sounded too loud, so I had to take matters in my own hands and did a fade-out of the brilliant rip done by the well-known DJ PaulT. Crazy thing is that quite a few overseas 7" releases used the full version of the track (at least judging by the label)! Another one was "Side two" - the B-side to 9th single. It's nowhere to be found on CD (and even vinyl rip) in 7" form so I faded-out the full version emulating the rip that was posted here quite a few years ago. If anyone have genuine vinyl rips you may consider PM'ing me, meanwhile I think it all turned out quite nice.

Blancmange were an intriguing act, both irritatingly catchy and quietly subversive, and they did great instrumentals - both atmospheric and aggressive, some rather ahead of their time, actually. I had quite a pleasure assembling their stuff here, hope at least some of you share my feelings.

I didn't include their indie debut as I thought I'd focus on their mainstream carrier, but a different decision is not impossible if there's a demand :D

Link: https://mega.nz/folder/z0lSHB4Q#fKtJUXAkXBTRoiTwY9WyKQ

Enjoy!
Last edited by Passing_Stranger on Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:58 am

Thanks once again for the excellent work. Was wondering is Blancmange's Lose Your Love the actual 7" or an alternative mix?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Mon Jul 25, 2022 10:47 am

omar wrote:Thanks once again for the excellent work. Was wondering is Blancmange's Lose Your Love the actual 7" or an alternative mix?

Not at all, mate :D

The song I took from the "Third course" compilation. The trouble is, I could never distinguish for certain - all those versions sounded more or less the same to me. And no compilation ever made clear which version was used. If anyone can ascertain I'll be grateful!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby AJWAVE » Thu Jul 28, 2022 5:18 am

Thank you. Nice addition mate!
Are you going to start screwing over Redo like you screwed over MSK with your endless requests? what an idiot you turned out to be MATT
AJWAVE
Room at the Top

PreviousNext

Return to Obscure 80s Central