Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Share: Thompson Twins - The Definitive Singles Collection

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

Share: Thompson Twins - The Definitive Singles Collection

Postby eLeMeNOhPeaQ » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:11 am

Disc 1
01 Squares And Triangles 3:18
02 She's In Love With Mystery 2:35
03 Perfect Game [7" Version] 3:40
04 Politics [7" Version] 2:38
05 Animal Laugh (Oumma Aularesso) 3:04
06 Make Believe (Let's Pretend) [7" Version] 3:25
07 In The Name Of Love [7" Version] 3:20
08 Runaway [7" Version] 3:16
09 Lies [7" Version] 3:15
10 Love On Your Side [7" Version] 3:35
11 We Are Detective [7" Version] 3:09
12 Watching [7" Version] 3:49
13 If You Were Here 2:59
14 Hold Me Now [Fade] 4:16
15 Doctor! Doctor! [Promo Edit] 4:00
16 You Take Me Up [7" Version] 4:07
17 Sister Of Mercy [7" Version] 4:56
18 The Gap [7" Version] 4:09
19 Lay Your Hands On Me [UK 7" Version] 4:10
20 Roll Over [Withdrawn UK 7" Version] 5:04
21 King For Just One Day [Withdrawn UK 7" Version] 4:15

Disc 2
01 Don't Mess With Doctor Dream [7" Version] 3:35
02 Lay Your Hands On Me [US 7" Version] 3:57
03 King For A Day [7" Version] 4:11
04 Revolution [7" Version] 3:26
05 Nothing In Common 3:30
06 Get That Love [7" Version] 3:56
07 Long Goodbye [7" Version] 3:46
08 Bush Baby [7" Version] 3:47
09 In The Name Of Love '88 [Single Mix] 3:37
10 Sugar Daddy 3:33
11 Bombers In The Sky 3:55
12 Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? 3:20
13 Come Inside [Single Edit] 4:00
14 The Saint [eLeMeNOhPeaQ Album Edit] 4:18
15 Groove On [Rev. T's Single Remix] 3:30
16 Play With Me (Jane) [Single Edit] 3:43
17 Tribe [Album Edit] (Babble) 4:10
18 Take Me Away [Single Mix] (Babble) 4:05
19 Beautiful [Album Edit] (Babble feat. Q. Tee) 3:46
20 Love Has No Name [Album Edit] (Babble feat. Teremoana Rapley) 3:42
21 Dark Raven [eLeMeNOhPeaQ Edit] (Babble) 4:10

1) This compilation was originally put together in 2008. The only change made in 2015 was the titling of Track 21 of Disc 1. A scan of the original Proof Artwork for King For A Day 12" Single (TWINS 127) showed the original title of "King For A Day" was "King For Just One Day."

Image Image

This would have been the earlier version of KFAD produced by Tom and co-produced, recorded and mixed by John "Tokes" Potoker. This version had appeared on multiple compilations throughout the years (first on The Best of Thompson Twins Greatest Mixes). I included the 7" Version on this compilation for continuity purposes.

2) Tracks are compiled in chronological order of release in the UK, with the exception of singles released in other parts of the world, and the occasional album track. Official 7" single versions used for all tracks, with the exception of:

- Politics (which was the B-Side to the Perfect Game 7")
- Hold Me Now (which is the Fade edit from the US Promo 7")
- Doctor! Doctor! (which is the Promo Edit from the US US Promo 7")
- The Gap (which is my re-creation of the 7" Version, aka AOR Version). This is NOT an exact re-creation of the officially released edit. Right at the mid-section of the song, immediately following Tom's "Hey!", the official version misses Alannah's whispered "East." The first we hear of Alannah is a couple seconds later with her whispered "West." In my re-creation, I fixed that part, so we get to hear her properly say "East" followed by "West."
- Future Days (which was released as a single in Australia with Revolution as the B-Side, is OMITTED as it would not fit on Disc 1).
- The Saint (which is my album edit, so that songs could fit onto two 80 minute CDs. The UK used the Feedback Max Remix Edit as the A-Side. I felt the sound of album version fit better, sandwiched between Come Inside and Groove On).
- Dark Raven (which is my edit of the final Babble track that surfaced on the Various Artist CD that accompanied The Passion Magazine Feb/Mar 1998 issue).

3) All music files are MP3s with a 320kbps Bit Rate. Before anyone asks, this compilation was never available in a higher quality (ie. FLAC or WAV). So, please don't ask for a lossless version.

4) Enjoy!

Download Disc 1: https://mega.nz/file/VSpUwJBC#J8PkDuQeFUbNRpw6aAPrY5dMryZmmgrLM-NH0EPkDPI

Download Disc 2: https://mega.nz/file/NfYCjAob#YG4MKsywlU4l151idKCyBKsrRvh8d9-r1LUBhbnax0c
eLeMeNOhPeaQ
Personal Jesus

Re: Share: Thompson Twins - The Definitive Singles Collectio

Postby PKPN » Sat Sep 30, 2023 6:25 pm

Thanks for posting this.

One correction, sorta: You mentioned previously that all three promo edits ("Doctor! Doctor!", "Hold Me Now", and "The Gap") are your own re-creations. It's not just "The Gap".

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, based on Discogs data, the US promo edit of "Doctor! Doctor!" was also used on the commercial 7" in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the Netherlands. I think everywhere else got an early fade of the LP version (4:24 to 4:30) or the full album version, which runs a hair over 4:35 on my US 45.

I'm having trouble confirming your previous claim that this US promo edit is also on the UK retail 7". I found two copies of the UK 7" playing on YouTube and they both just have the 4:20-something early fade of the album version. However, I wouldn't put it past Arista to have issued it both ways!
PKPN
Take On Me

Re: Share: Thompson Twins - The Definitive Singles Collectio

Postby eLeMeNOhPeaQ » Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:33 pm

PKPN wrote:Thanks for posting this.

One correction, sorta: You mentioned previously that all three promo edits ("Doctor! Doctor!", "Hold Me Now", and "The Gap") are your own re-creations. It's not just "The Gap".

Anyway, if I'm not mistaken, based on Discogs data, the US promo edit of "Doctor! Doctor!" was also used on the commercial 7" in Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and the Netherlands. I think everywhere else got an early fade of the LP version (4:24 to 4:30) or the full album version, which runs a hair over 4:35 on my US 45.

I'm having trouble confirming your previous claim that this US promo edit is also on the UK retail 7". I found two copies of the UK 7" playing on YouTube and they both just have the 4:20-something early fade of the album version. However, I wouldn't put it past Arista to have issued it both ways!

You're welcome! I believe the Notepad doc in the 2nd folder mentions all 3 are my re-creations. In my comments above, I wanted to explain why I chose the non-single versions...timing issue. It's been so long since I played any of the D!D! 7" singles, but am fairly certain 3:57/4:00 edit only appears on the promo, and the retail singles either had the album version or the early fade you mentioned. Unfortunately, I cannot confirm with 100% certainty (old age...haha). I don't have copies of the 7" single from the other countries, but I know Thompson Twins releases were plagued with errors regarding playing times printed on labels and sleeves. I may have been going on info I found on a now defunct TT discography page.
eLeMeNOhPeaQ
Personal Jesus

Return to Obscure 80s Central