Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

a-ha "Take On Me" from ltd ed Japanese 2CD set

Discuss hard-to-find or out-of-print New Wave and '80s Alternative, and share a few songs along the way.
NOTE: requesting songs that are entirely unrelated to the genres discussed here or easily found on CD is strongly discouraged and posts will be enforced as needed.

a-ha "Take On Me" from ltd ed Japanese 2CD set

Postby pretzelbag » Wed Jul 27, 2005 3:33 pm

According to allmusic, a-ha released a limited edition 2CD set of Major Earth Minor Sky in Japan. The 2nd CD included some videos as well as a new version of "Take on Me" that is 7:21 in length (there's also a new version of "The Sun Never Shone That Day" if you like that song).

I've always considered "Take On Me" to be a great song, and own the original 12" vinyl remix. But I'm curious as to if this version is worth seeking out. So...

(1) Has anybody heard this version?
(2) Is it any good?
(3) Anybody have it available for trade or download?

-pretzelbag.
pretzelbag
Take On Me

Postby pretzelbag » Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:34 am

I figured it's been 6 months since I asked about this song...so here goes again.

Anybody heard this version?

-pretzelbag.
pretzelbag
Take On Me

Postby spacecircus » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:08 pm

Could it possibly be a live version? I have two extended versions. One clocks in at 4:51 and the other at 5:12.
spacecircus
Personal Jesus

Postby obs » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:29 pm

http://www.darsu.btinternet.co.uk/disco ... album5.htm

[i]A limited edition double CD set of the album was released in Japan in April 2001. It includes the regular 14 track CD album, but without the bonus video track of "Summer Moved On", plus a bonus CD which includes Take On Me (album version), the "radio version" of "The Sun Never Shone That Day" (3:30) (not the four different remixes which were initially promised) plus the videos of Summer Moved On, Minor Earth Major Sky, Velvet and Take On Me (all in QuickTime format). The videos can be viewed from a special "Launch Centre".[/i]
obs
Room at the Top

Postby pretzelbag » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:48 am

Oh well, looks like AllMusic is incorrect. If some new 7:21 version of Take On Me does exist, it won't see the light of day...

Is it too much to hope that record companies start to pare back on the wild variations between CDs released in different countries? I mean, it's great for completist collectors (and profits, I am sure), but, for example, a CD with 10 songs in which the last song is different for 15 countries simply encourages people to illegally trade those 10th songs rather than purchase the entire "import" CD, which has 90% overlap.

-pretzelbag.
pretzelbag
Take On Me

Return to Obscure 80s Central