Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Early Soft Cell

Early Soft Cell

Postby yipyipcoyote » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:10 am

Soft Cell - The Bedsit Tapes

..supposedly an uneasy listening collection in early DIY-style, I guess comparable to Scritti Politti's cacophonous [i]Early[/i] CD.

Track List

1. Potential
2. L.O.V.E. Feeling
3. Metro Mr X
4. Bleak Is My Favourite Cliche
5. Occupational Hazard
6. Mix
7. Factory Fun
8. Science Fiction Stories
9. Purely Functional
10. A Cut Above The Rest
11. Paranoid
12. Excretory Eat Anorexia Nervosa
13. Cleansing Fanatic
14. Walking Make Up Counter
15. Pyrex My Cuisine
16. Tupperware Counter
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby My Aural Stimulator » Fri Aug 12, 2005 3:33 am

Wow--I've never heard of any of these. If the lyrics are as clever as the titles, I'll be sure to grap a copy. Where is this available?
My Aural Stimulator
Room at the Top

Postby bruiser » Fri Aug 12, 2005 4:56 am

while i am a big fan (and have most of these on bootleg already) i will say to proceed with caution if your soft cell knowledge begins and ends with "tainted love"- these have no sheen, sound like they were recorded with primitive equipment (they were), and represent marc at his most artsy. many of these songs were to be used for various performance art pieces, and so they concern then-controversial subjects as conspicuous consumerism, suburban ennui, and bondage/domination... which today come off as a bit precious and quaint. however, as a document of who marc was in his early 20's it's invaluable. and the first three songs are from the "mutant moments" e.p. that got stevo's attention when he was putting together that first "some bizzare" compilation. why all 4 songs from that e.p. were not included is a question for the always kooky stevo. at any rate, there are some never heard things here as well, and is a must for soft cell completists and misunderstood goths. personally, i'm pretty fond of it all.
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby marie3 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 5:41 am

Very, very interesting.
marie3
Der Kommissar

Postby skinnytie » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:51 am

Bruiser, when you say "primitive in sound", is it akin to the Devo Hardcore series that Ryko released?
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby bruiser » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:37 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by skinnytie[/i]
<br>Bruiser, when you say "primitive in sound", is it akin to the Devo Hardcore series that Ryko released?
[/quote]

yes and no. the lo-fi quality: yes.
the guitars and dorkiness: no.

soft cell have a much more self-conscious artsy thing going on. but as for youthful enthusiasm and can-do attitude, very similar.
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby Ollie Stench » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:39 am

Where could I find this in the US? I'm really into the early experimental synth wave stuff and this sounds like it would be right up my alley.
Ollie Stench
Room at the Top

Postby yipyipcoyote » Mon Aug 15, 2005 7:59 am

seems to be listed on amazon
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby bruiser » Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:00 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by yipyipcoyote[/i]
<br>seems to be listed on amazon
[/quote]

and i believe directly from the source (or soon to be from the source):

www.marcalmond.co.uk

try the "kiosk"
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby react010 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:22 pm

Shame that my fav track (Science Fiction Stories)from these old bootlegs has the same bad quality that was on the bootleg :-(.
The rest is great stuff though !!
This is what Soft Cell should have re-recorded when they did there comeback a few years ago, in stead of releasing new material that was utterly crap !! (except from the first single 'Monoculture').
react010
Take On Me

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations