Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

DEPECHE MODE - Playing The Angel

DEPECHE MODE - Playing The Angel

Postby mskremember » Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:29 pm

Hi,

Back at long last - Basildons finest electronic exports, Depeche Mode return with their stunning 11th studio album "Playing The Angel". Recorded in Santa Brabara, New York and London it features 12 Brand New tracks ( including for the first time songs penned exclusively by frontman Dave Gahan ) and comes presented as an extremely Limited Edition CD/Super Audio CD and DVD Edition, a standard regular issue and a gatefold double vinyl LP version. Full details below...

---------------------------------------------------
DEPECHE MODE - Playing The Angel (Limited CD/SACD + DVD)
Review
Back at last with their 11th full length studio album - Basildon's finest return with "Playing The Angel" - THE definitive Depeche Mode studio album from one of the greatest and most unique electronic bands ever. Already being cited as one of the defining albums of the bands illustrious career "Playing The Angel" features 12 Brand New tracks and is the first to include songs written exclusively by frontman Dave Gahan. Recorded in Santa Barbara, New York and London and produced by Ben Hillier, "Playing The Angel" sees Depeche Mode cementing their legendary status once more.

Please note that this CD will play in both standard and SACD players.

Due to the Limited nature of this release, please order quick in order to avoid disapointment!
Format
CD/SACD + DVD
Tracklisting
CD/SACD :-
01. A Pain That I'm Used To
02. John The Revelator
03. Suffer Well
04. The Sinner In Me
05. Precious
06. Macrovision
07. I Want It All
08. Nothing's Impossible
09. Introspectre
10. Damaged People
11. Lillian
12. The Darkest Star

DVD :-
01. Playing The Angel in 5.1 and Stereo
- DTS 5.1 ( 24bit )
- Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround ( 24bit )
- PCM Stereo ( 24bit )

02. Making The Angel
- PCM Stereo

03. Precious ( Video )
- PCM Stereo

04. Clean ( Bare )
- PCM Stereo

05. Photo Gallery
- Candid Studio Photos taken by Ben Hillier at the Santa Barbara / New York / London Recording Sessions

Direct pre-order link UK/USA/EU:- http://www.musicnonstop.co.uk/cgi-click ... 7831x37841
Direct pre-order link Germany:- http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B ... ideline-21

DEPECHE MODE - Playing The Angel (Standard CD)
Review
Back at last with their 11th full length studio album - Basildon's finest return with "Playing The Angel" - THE definitive Depeche Mode studio album from one of the greatest and most unique electronic bands ever. Already being cited as one of the defining albums of the bands illustrious career "Playing The Angel" features 12 Brand New tracks and is the first to include songs written exclusively by frontman Dave Gahan. Recorded in Santa Barbara, New York and London and produced by Ben Hillier, "Playing The Angel" sees Depeche Mode cementing their legendary status once more.
Format
CD
Tracklisting
02. John The Revelator
03. Suffer Well
04. The Sinner In Me
05. Precious
06. Macrovision
07. I Want It All
08. Nothing's Impossible
09. Introspectre
10. Damaged People
11. Lillian
12. The Darkest Star

Direct pre-order link UK/USA/EU:- http://www.musicnonstop.co.uk/cgi-click ... 7831x37841
Direct pre-order link Germany:- http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B ... ideline-21

DEPECHE MODE - Playing The Angel (2LP Vinyl)
Review
Format
2LP Vinyl
Tracklisting
Side A :-
02. John The Revelator
03. Suffer Well

Side B :-
04. The Sinner In Me
05. Precious
06. Macro

Side C :-
07. I Want It All
08. Nohing's Impossible
09. Introspectre
10. Damaged People

Side D :-
11. Lilian
12. The Darkest Star

Direct pre-order link UK/USA/EU:- http://www.musicnonstop.co.uk/cgi-click ... 7831x37838

best regards.
mskremember
The Jet Set

Postby MARV » Fri Sep 02, 2005 11:44 pm

I'm a bit weary of Dave penning (every?) lyric on a Depeche record. Let's face it, Paper Monsterrs had one or two lyrical highlights but for it was mostly lukewarm. Hopefully the music itself will be more moving than on their last two albums.
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:49 pm

From Mute, UK:

Depeche Mode
Biography - 2005
This October, Depeche Mode release their first album since 2001's two million-selling Exciter. "I really felt, before we started this album, that there was unfinished business," says Dave Gahan of their 11th studio album, Playing The Angel. And so it is that the world's foremost subversive electronic pop group have reconvened to, as the singer puts it, "make the best record we can." They just can't shake the disease.

Playing The Angel is an astonishingly fresh, exuberant release from the band who have, over 25 years, sold upwards of 50 million records worldwide and amassed a staggering 38 hit singles in the UK and no fewer than 13 Top 10 albums. And yet they sound like a new group, not one halfway through their third decade together. "Precious", the first single, is quintessential Mode, all cyber pulse and glorious chorus. "The Sinner In Me" perfectly balances the organic and synthetic, and climaxes, as do most of the tracks, with staccato blasts of noise and FX. On "Suffer Well" Dave's voice is more powerful than ever. "Macrovision", sung by Martin Gore, is hi-tech pop with an enormous hook. "John The Revelator" is one of many potential hit singles. "I Want It All" is one of the slower tracks with its minor-key menace, like trip hop from hell. "A Pain That I'm Used To" kicks off what would have been Side 2 in fine, furious style with its savage bursts of guitar.

The title for the album was taken, according to Fletch, from the lyric of a track called "The Darkest Star". The LP was recorded in Santa Barbara, New York and London. Recording began in January 2005 in California, with producer Ben Hillier at the helm providing a sense of challenge. "You have to work hard at reinventing yourself," admits Dave, "so you have to choose new people who push you." Playing The Angel is faster-paced than the last two Mode albums, heightening the sense of urgency and vibrancy. Ben's fondness for analogue synths over digital ones helped shape the sound.

It is also the first Depeche album to feature Dave Gahan credits - three of the tracks ("I Want It All", "Suffer Well" and "Nothing's Impossible") were written by the singer, who was encouraged by the reaction to his debut solo album Paper Monsters (2003). Martin was responsible for the remaining nine tracks. As usual, he was unflinching in his depiction of the dark side of the human condition. In fact, he jokes, the back cover of the LP sleeve may well feature the subtitle: Pain And Suffering In Various Tempos. "Dave said I've made a 25-year career out of one subject. I disagree: it's two!"

When asked what the broad, overarching themes of this record are, Martin smiles: "Anything that appeals to really dysfunctional people." It would be wrong, however, to dismiss Depeche Mode as harvesters of sorrow. "I never see our music as over-dark. There's always an element of hope. And I hope that comes over in the music."

A sense of optimism, of renewed vigour, of pleasure at what they've achieved, can be discerned from Playing The Angel. It's also obvious from the sheer delight Dave, Martin and Andy feel at being back with Depeche Mode, on the eve of the release of a brilliant album and a mammoth, sell-out world tour that confirms the enormity of their global audience.

Dave counts his blessings that he's still actually here to do this. "That we've achieved so much in 25 years, and survived so much... Of all the bands, this is the one I'd have put money on not still being around!" he laughs. "I see ourselves alongside U2 and R.E.M. more than any of the bands we came up with, although really we don't fit in and we never have, and I've come to embrace that - there's no one like Depeche Mode. I might have lost some of my drive in the mid-'90s, but now I've got it back. It's better being in Depeche Mode now than it has been for 15 years."
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby MARV » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:50 pm

I'm looking for ward to hearing the analog synths as opposed to the digital ones.

Synth experts Frayo, vco, please feel free to add to the convo [;)]
MARV
Room at the Top

Postby Panorama » Sat Sep 03, 2005 2:53 pm

I'm really looking forward to hearing this record after reading the reviews posted here.

---------------------------
"Photography with a Vision"
http://www.cooganphoto.com
Panorama
Room at the Top

Postby react010 » Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:00 pm

Is it just me, and am i the only one waiting for another 'Shake The Disease' or 'Leave in Silence'?? Don't like the new single 'Precious' at ALL !! [xx(] Hope the album is better !!
react010
Take On Me

Postby MARV » Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:47 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by react010[/i]
<br>Is it just me, and am i the only one waiting for another 'Shake The Disease' or 'Leave in Silence'?? Don't like the new single 'Precious' at ALL !! [xx(] Hope the album is better !![/quote]

.....or Strangelove, Stripped, Halo, Walking In My Shoes, Never Let Me Down Again, It's Called A Heart, Policy Of Truth.....
MARV
Room at the Top

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations