Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Erasure - Erasure (1995) 2-CD Reissue out Nov 18

Erasure - Erasure (1995) 2-CD Reissue out Nov 18

Postby Glenn » Fri Sep 23, 2022 8:49 am

Erasure's self-titled album will be reissued on Nov 18

2-CD tracklist:

'ERASURE' - CD1 TRACKLISTING
Intro: Guess I’m Into Feeling / Rescue Me / Sono Luminus / Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day) / Rock Me Gently / Grace / Stay With Me / Love The Way You Do So / Angel / I Love You / A Long Goodbye

'ERASURE' - CD2 TRACKLISTING
Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day) - SoundFactory Remix Radio Edit / Angel - Love Eternal Remix by TSF [Previously Unreleased] / Rock Me Gently - Stubbleman Remix [Previously Unreleased] / Stay With Me - Guitar Mix / Sono Luminus - Live Acoustic Version / True Love Wars / HI NRG / Chertsey Endlos / Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day) - Daybreakers Remix [Previously Unreleased] / Stay With Me - NY Mix / True Love Wars - Omni / Rock Me Gently - Demo / Sono Luminus - Demo / Cold Summer's Day - Wigstock Version / Rock Me Gently - Glen Nicholls & Nick Squires Remix [Previously Unreleased]
Glenn
Take On Me

Re: Erasure - Erasure (1995) 2-CD Reissue out Nov 18

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:52 pm

Glenn wrote:Erasure's self-titled album will be reissued on Nov 18

2-CD tracklist:

'ERASURE' - CD1 TRACKLISTING
Intro: Guess I’m Into Feeling / Rescue Me / Sono Luminus / Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day) / Rock Me Gently / Grace / Stay With Me / Love The Way You Do So / Angel / I Love You / A Long Goodbye

'ERASURE' - CD2 TRACKLISTING
Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day) - SoundFactory Remix Radio Edit / Angel - Love Eternal Remix by TSF [Previously Unreleased] / Rock Me Gently - Stubbleman Remix [Previously Unreleased] / Stay With Me - Guitar Mix / Sono Luminus - Live Acoustic Version / True Love Wars / HI NRG / Chertsey Endlos / Fingers & Thumbs (Cold Summer's Day) - Daybreakers Remix [Previously Unreleased] / Stay With Me - NY Mix / True Love Wars - Omni / Rock Me Gently - Demo / Sono Luminus - Demo / Cold Summer's Day - Wigstock Version / Rock Me Gently - Glen Nicholls & Nick Squires Remix [Previously Unreleased]

This album took a few listens to really grab hold on me back in '95 but in the years since it has held it's place among my favorite Erasure albums. The big "experiment" this time out, as I recall, was making every song into an extended version right from the start.

"Sono Luminous" and "Love The Way You Do So* are my favorites from this collection, followed closely by "Rock Me Gently" and "Angel"."Stay With Me" and " Fingers And Thumbs" are both fine tracks but I always considered them odd choices for singles. Of course, the unfortunate remixing "style" of the mid 90s didn't really do either one of them any favors, though the Guitar Mix of "Stay With Me" is quite nice.

At this stage in the reissue campaign, it's no longer about an improvement in sound quality for me (though I AM curious if "Loveboat" will be properly buffed and shined up when it's turn comes; a great set of songs ruined by a regrettable choice of muddied-up production and "Hey, let's make it sound like the whole thing is being suffocated by a big fluffy pillow" mixing techniques). From "Wild!" thru "I Say I Say I Say" these expanded editions have had only subtle but noticeable changes made sonically, as well as given a boost in overall volume. But from 1995 on, mastering has remained pretty consistent.

So for me it will come down to the addition of a few brand new remixes since I already have all the singles and, therefore, all the B-sides (from which only "Chertsey Endlos" came close to the quality expected of an Erasure B-side).

But in truth, it doesn't take much to get me to shell out money for an Erasure release (or re-release for that matter) so as long as one of the new mixes is good, I'll likely take the bait lol. My interest is definitely piqued by the potential amazing-ness of a new "Angel" remix, and Glen Nicholls' remixes rarely disappoint, so that new "Rock Me Gently" mix should also be an interesting addition...fingers (and thumbs) crossed!
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby WLR » Sat Sep 24, 2022 11:13 am

Took me a while to get into this album but looking back on it now, it is a cracking album, pleased to see it get the "Deluxe" treatment.
WLR
The Jet Set

Postby obs » Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:17 pm

Fred Taghon wrote:"Stay With Me" and " Fingers And Thumbs" are both fine tracks but I always considered them odd choices for singles. Of course, the unfortunate remixing "style" of the mid 90s didn't really do either one of them any favors, though the Guitar Mix of "Stay With Me" is quite nice.

I think "Fingers and Thumbs" would be one of the obvious singles, since it's one that's the most upbeat here. Agree in regards to the snoozing house style remixes from this era.

I guess there's no interest in putting out a Singles 4+5 boxsets on CD. I see it's available via download.
obs
Room at the Top

Postby Fred Taghon » Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:42 am

obs wrote:
Fred Taghon wrote:"Stay With Me" and " Fingers And Thumbs" are both fine tracks but I always considered them odd choices for singles. Of course, the unfortunate remixing "style" of the mid 90s didn't really do either one of them any favors, though the Guitar Mix of "Stay With Me" is quite nice.

I think "Fingers and Thumbs" would be one of the obvious singles, since it's one that's the most upbeat here. Agree in regards to the snoozing house style remixes from this era.

I guess there's no interest in putting out a Singles 4+5 boxsets on CD. I see it's available via download.

I think I was subconsciously taking both singles as wholes into consideration when I made that comment. The original songs are solid, but I was pretty disappointed with all the remixes at the time. The Tin Tin Out mix of "Fingers" is decent but still kinda missed the mark for me. I still think "Love The Way You Do So" is one of the most beautiful songs Erasure has done. I don't know that it could have worked as a single, but it's so enchanting and has an effortless flow to it, and the vocals marry the music perfectly. It's sugary sweet synthpop at its best. Actually, the segueing of "Stay With Me" followed by "Love The Way You Do So" and then "Angel" is pure genius. If synthpop could be compared to classical music, I would say they are almost 3 movements within one piece, with each part beautifully complimenting the others. When I want to hear just a bit of the "Erasure" album, those three songs, in order, always satisfy. "Erasure" definitely has it's share of shining moments.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Postby chris74 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:31 pm

I would have loved an instrumental version of "Rock Me Gently". How on earth how could they invite Diamanda Galas to ruin this song with her unbearable crying??? The song itself is a masterpiece. I hope that the new mixes are without her "contribution".
chris74
Take On Me

Postby Fred Taghon » Fri Dec 02, 2022 10:25 am

I have yet to pick this up, but I just checked out the UK Qobuz site to listen to the samples (it's not on the USA site yet). The new remix of "Angel" is AMAZING! It sounds like "the Erasure single that never was"! It's always been one of my favorite tracks on this album, so I'm very happy to hear that it was given such loving attention. The other new mixes sound pretty good as well, but "Angel" absolutely stands out from the crowd. Definitely picking up the 2CD set now.
Fred Taghon
The Jet Set

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations