Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Ultravox - Quartet 6CD/DVD Boxset.

Ultravox - Quartet 6CD/DVD Boxset.

Postby omar » Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:11 am

Released in May.

Disc: 1 (CD)

1 Reap The Wild Wind
2 Serenade
3 Mine For Life
4 Hymn
5 Visions In Blue
6 When The Scream Subsides
7 We Came To Dance
8 Cut And Run
9 The Song (We Go)

Disc: 2 (CD)

1 Reap The Wild Wind [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
2 Serenade [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
3 Mine For Life [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
4 Hymn [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
5 Visions In Blue [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
6 When The Scream Subsides [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
7 We Came To Dance [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
8 Cut And Run [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
9 The Song (We Go) [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
10 Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
11 Monument [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
12 Break Your Back [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
13 Overlook [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]

Disc: 3 (CD)

1 Reap the Wild Wind [Extended Version]
2 Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo)
3 Hymn [Single Version]
4 Monument
5 The Thin Wall [Live at Hammersmith Odeon, Oct. 1981]
6 Visions In Blue [Single Version]
7 Break Your Back
8 Reap The Wild Wind [Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, Dec. 1982]
9 We Came To Dance [Single Version]
10 Overlook
11 We Came To Dance [Extended Version]
12 Serenade [Single Version]
13 Serenade [Special Re-Mix]
14 The Voice [Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, Dec. 1982]

Disc: 4 (CD)

1 Reap The Wild Wind [Cassette Rehearsal]
2 Serenade [Cassette Rehearsal]
3 Mine For Life [Cassette Rehearsal]
4 Hymn [Cassette Rehearsal]
5 Visions In Blue [Cassette Rehearsal]
6 When The Scream Subsides [Cassette Rehearsal]
7 We Came To Dance [Cassette Rehearsal]
8 Cut & Run [Cassette Rehearsal]
9 The Song (We Go) [Cassette Rehearsal]
10 Reap The Wild Wind -WIP/Guide Vox
11 Visions In Blue [Monitor Mix]
12 Cut & Run [Monitor Mix]
13 Mine For Life - [Monitor Mix]
14 Hymn [Monitor Mix]
15 Serenade [Monitor Mix]
16 We Came To Dance [Monitor Mix]

Disc: 5 (CD)

1 Reap The Wild Wind [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
2 When The Scream Subsides [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
3 The Thin Wall [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
4 New Europeans [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
5 We Stand Alone [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
6 I Remember (Death In The Afternoon) [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
7 Visions In Blue [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
8 Mr. X [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
9 Sleepwalk [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]

Disc: 6 (CD)

1 The Voice [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
2 Vienna [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
3 Astradyne [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
4 All Stood Still [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
5 Passing Strangers [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
6 Mine For Life [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
7 Hymn [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]
8 The Song (We Go) [Live at Hammersmith Odeon 5/12/1982]

Disc: 7 (DVD)

1 Reap The Wild Wind [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
2 Serenade [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
3 Mine For Life [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
4 Hymn [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
5 Visions In Blue [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
6 When The Scream Subsides [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
7 We Came To Dance [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
8 Cut And Run [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
9 The Song (We Go) [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
10 Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
11 Monument [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
12 Break Your Back [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
13 Overlook [Steven Wilson 5.1 Surround Mix]
14 Reap The Wild Wind [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
15 Serenade [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
16 Mine For Life [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
17 Hymn [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
18 Visions In Blue [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
19 When The Scream Subsides [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
20 We Came To Dance [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
21 Cut And Run [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
22 The Song (We Go) [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
23 Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
24 Monument [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
25 Break Your Back [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
26 Overlook [Steven Wilson Stereo Mix]
27 Reap The Wild Wind
28 Serenade
29 Mine For Life
30 Hymn
31 Visions In Blue
32 When The Scream Subsides
33 We Came To Dance
34 Cut And Run
35 The Song (We Go)
36 Reap the Wild Wind [Extended Version]
37 Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo)
38 Hymn [Single Version]
39 Monument
40 The Thin Wall [Live at Hammersmith Odeon, Oct. 1981]
41 Visions In Blue [Single Version]
42 Break Your Back
43 Reap The Wild Wind [Live at the Hammersmith Odeon, Dec. 1982]
44 We Came To Dance [Single Version]
45 Overlook
46 We Came To Dance [Extended Version]
47 Serenade [Single Version]
48 Serenade [Special Re-Mix]
49 The Voice (Live at Hammersmith Odeon, 1982)

This new 7 Disc box set contains 70 tracks in total, with 47 previously unreleased recordings. CDs 1-6 contain the original 1982 album production master, a new stereo mixes by Steven Wilson, A-sides, B-sides & live tracks, previously unreleased Cassette Rehearsals and Monitor Mixes along with a newly mixed concert recorded at Hammersmith Odeon in December 1982. The DVD (Audio Only) contains a new 5.1 Surround Sound Mix of the Album/B-sides by Steven Wilson along with 24/96 Hi-Res audio of the new mixes and the original 1982 Master/B-sides. The boxset is priced around $80.00 through Amazon.
omar
Room at the Top

Re: Ultravox - Quartet 6CD/DVD Boxset.

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:03 pm

I hope the release date is later than May. My wallet has barely recovered from "Rage In Eden" from last December!
Last edited by postpunkmonk on Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby jaybag » Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:08 pm

Thanks Omar! Just ordered it from amazon UK, saved about $10 on the amazon US price (it was about $76 shipped, the US site would've been about $86 incl. tax).
jaybag
Personal Jesus

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:36 am

Wow, so soon! Evidently the gamble with the previous releases paid off (which is great, of course!). Hooray!

"Quartet" is the album I very much like to hear remixed. "Vienna", "Rage in Eden" and "Lament" are just fine, it's pointless to tamper with them. But this was was always an odd one out for me - too bright and flat-sounding (due, no doubt, to all those digital synths they got their hands on - everyone was raving about those but, it seems, couldn't figure out how to record satisfactorily, which resulted in the infamous "tinniness" of much of the 1980s sound), not nearly enough depth and mystery. I learned to love it, but here's a chance to actually add something valuable to its sound. So this one I'll definitely be waiting for.

And much love to Chrysalis for keeping the band's name afloat all these years! Yes, they squandered their chances to break the US market back in the day (which would've given the band a boost in stature), but since early 1990s were constantly organizing reissue campaigns, keeping "the product" in stores and drawing attention to the band. "Music critics" (sic!) would've loved dearly to see Ultravox's name dead and buried but Chrysalis's efforts prevented that. Now that's the dedication to the cause! Respect!
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby negative1 » Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:02 pm

there's not much chance of it coming out on that date.

maybe later this year. but it doesn't matter when it comes out,
i'll still be getting this, and there's a vinyl version of the live tracks.

it's my 2nd favorite album from them, after lament, so i'll be looking
forward to it.

later
||||||||||
ne gat ive1
negative1
Room at the Top

Postby magnum » Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:48 pm

Looks great just curious why they didnt to any Steve Wilson Instrumentals as was the case fir Vienna and Rage in Eden.
magnum
The Jet Set

Postby Uvox » Fri May 05, 2023 7:23 am

Official:
ULTRAVOX NEWS
QUARTET [Deluxe Edition]

Quartet box sets pre-order available now

Following the success of the deluxe editions of Ultravox’s Vienna and Rage In Eden albums, on 7 July Chrysalis Records will release a Deluxe Edition box set of Quartet, the band’s third album with Midge Ure.

After working with producer Conny Plank on Vienna and Rage, Ultravox decided to shake things up and challenge themselves for their next album, enlisting the services of legendary producer George Martin.

Before beginning work with Martin, although they were not usually a band that demoed material, they decided to enter a rehearsal studio beforehand to put down ideas and refine the songs.

The band then decamped to Martin’s AIR studios in London and recorded the main parts during the early summer, before heading to AIR’s sister studio in Montserrat for mixing and overdubbing. There they were joined by Martin’s trusted team, including engineer Geoff Emerick.

Martin was a more hands-on producer than Conny Plank and helped clarify certain areas, helping with the vocals and harmony structures, and encouraging rewrites, resulting in better versions and an album of nine outstanding songs.

These included four UK Top 40 singles, ‘Reap The Wild Wind’, ‘We Came To Dance’, ‘Visions In Blue’ and the silver-awarded ‘Hymn’.

As with the previous releases in this series, the box sets include singles / B-sides, previously unreleased rehearsals, monitor mixes and a full concert from Hammersmith Odeon 1982. Available as a 6CD/DVD box set.
Limited edition 4LP Clear Vinyl boxset.
2LP Black Vinyl and Ultravox Store Exclusives: Limited Edition 1LP Picture Disc and exclusive Quartet merchandise.

QUARTET [DELUXE EDITION]

Tracklistings below:

CD BOX SET

CD1 - Quartet: Original 1982 Analog Master: Reap The Wild Wind / Serenade / Mine For Life / Hymn / Visions In Blue / When The Scream Subsides / We Came To Dance / Cut And Run / The Song (We Go)

CD2 - Quartet: Steven Wilson Stereo Mix: Reap The Wild Wind / Serenade / Mine For Life / Hymn / Visions In Blue / When The Scream Subsides / We Came To Dance / Cut And Run / The Song (We Go) / Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) / Break My Back / Overlook

CD3 – Singles, B-Sides & Rarities: Reap The Wild Wind [Extended Version] / Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) / Hymn [Single Version] / Monument / The Thin Wall [Live] / Visions In Blue [Single Version] / Break Your Back / Reap The Wild Wind [Live] / We Came To Dance [Single Version] / Overlook / We Came To Dance [Extended Version] / Serenade [Single Version]* / Serenade [Special Re-Mix] / The Voice [Flexidisc]

CD4 - Work In Progress: Reap The Wild Wind [Cassette Rehearsal]* / Serenade [Cassette Rehearsls]* / Mine For Life [Cassette Rehearsal]* / Hymn [Cassette Rehearsal]* / Visions In Blue [Cassette Rehearsal]* / When The Scream Subsides [Cassette Rehearsal]* / We Came To Dance [Cassette Rehearsal]* / Cut And Run [Cassette Rehearsal]* / The Song (We Go) [Cassette Rehearsal]* / Reap The Wild Wind [Monitor Mix]* / Visions In Blue [Monitor Mix]* / Cut & Run [Monitor Mix]* / Mine For Life [Monitor Mix]* / Hymn [Monitor Mix]* / Serenade [Monitor Mix]* / We Came To Dance [Monitor Mix]*

CD5 - Hammersmith 1982 [Part One]: Reap The Wild Wind* / When The Scream Subsides* / The Thin Wall* / New Europeans* / We Stand Alone* / I Remember (Death In The Afternoon)* / Visions In Blue* / Mr. X* / Sleepwalk*

CD6 - Hammersmith 1982 [Part Two]: The Voice* / Vienna* / Astradyne* / All Stood Still* / Passing Strangers* / Mine For Life* Hymn* / The Sing (We Go)*

DVD [Audio Only] - Quartet Album & B-Sides: Steven Wilson Stereo Mix* & 5.1 Surround Mix* / Original 1982 Album & B-Sides [96/24 LPCM Stereo Mix].Region 0 [All], Video Format: NTSC

4LP CLEAR VINYL BOX SET

LP1 - Quartet: Original 1982 Analog Master: Reap The Wild Wind / Serenade / Mine For Life / Hymn / Visions In Blue / When The Scream Subsides / We Came To Dance / Cut And Run / The Song (We Go)

LP2 - Singles, B-Sides: Reap The Wild Wind [Single Version] / Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) / Hymn [Single Version] / Monument / The Thin Wall [Live] / Visions In Blue [Single Version] / Break Your Back / Reap The Wild Wind [Live] / We Came To Dance [Single Version] / Overlook

LP3 - Hammersmith 1982 [Part One]: Reap The Wild Wind* / When The Scream Subsides* / The Thin Wall* / New Europeans* / We Stand Alone* / I Remember (Death In The Afternoon)* / Visions In Blue* / Mr. X* / Sleepwalk*

LP4 - Hammersmith 1982 [Part Two]: The Voice* / Vienna* / Astradyne* / All Stood Still* / Passing Strangers* / Mine For Life* Hymn* / The Sing (We Go)*

HALF-SPEED MASTER

LP1 - Quartet: Original 1982 Analog Master: Reap The Wild Wind / Serenade / Mine For Life / Hymn / Visions In Blue / When The Scream Subsides / We Came To Dance / Cut And Run / The Song (We Go)

LP2 - Singles, B-Sides: Reap The Wild Wind [Single Version] / Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) / Hymn [Single Version] / Monument / The Thin Wall [Live] / Visions In Blue [Single Version] / Break Your Back / Reap The Wild Wind [Live] / We Came To Dance [Single Version] / Overlook
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby Uvox » Sat Jul 08, 2023 2:24 am

QUARTET [Deluxe Edition] is out today!
Chrysalis Records continues Its Ultravox reissue program with a Deluxe Edition of Quartet, the third album with Midge Ure, which is out today.

After working with producer Conny Plank on the previous Vienna and Rage In Eden albums, the band decided to shake things up and challenge themselves, enlisting the services of legendary producer George Martin. They started recording at Martin’s AIR Studios in Central London before decamping over to his Caribbean, Montserrat Studios, where classics albums by The Police, Dire Straits, Elton John and the Rolling Stones had been recorded.

Martin was a more hands-on producer than Conny Plank and helped clarify certain areas, such as harmony structures and arrangement, resulting in a commercial rock album which heralded four UK Top 40 singles including ‘Reap The Wild Wind’, ‘We Came To Dance’, ‘Visions In Blue’ and the silver-awarded ‘Hymn’.

As with the previous releases in this series, the various formats include the original album, a new stereo mix by Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree), a singles version, B-sides, previously unreleased rehearsals and monitor mixes, along with newly mixed full concert from Hammersmith Odeon in December 1982.

Available as a 6CD/DVD box set, a Limited edition 4LP Clear Vinyl boxset and a 2LP Half-Speed Master Black Vinyl. The Official Ultravox Store includes an Exclusive 1LP Picture Disc along with Quartet merchandise.

Tracklistings below:
DELUXE EDITION CD BOX SET [6CD/1DVD]

CD1 - Quartet: Original 1982 Analog Master
Reap The Wild Wind / Serenade / Mine For Life / Hymn / Visions In Blue / When The Scream Subsides / We Came To Dance / Cut And Run / The Song (We Go)

CD2 - Quartet: Steven Wilson Stereo Mix
Reap The Wild Wind / Serenade / Mine For Life / Hymn / Visions In Blue / When The Scream Subsides / We Came To Dance / Cut And Run / The Song (We Go) / Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) / Break Your Back / Overlook

CD3 – Singles, B-Sides & Rarities
Reap The Wild Wind [Extended Version] / Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) / Hymn [Single Version] / Monument / The Thin Wall
[Live] / Visions In Blue [Single Version] / Break Your Back / Reap The Wild Wind [Live] / We Came To Dance [Single Version] / Overlook / We Came To Dance [Extended Version] / Serenade [Single Version]* / Serenade [Special Re-Mix] / The Voice [Live Flexidisc]

CD4 – Cassette Rehearsals/Work In Progress
Reap The Wild Wind [Cassette Rehearsal]* / Serenade [Cassette Rehearsals]* / Mine For Life [Cassette Rehearsal]* / Hymn [Cassette Rehearsal]* / Visions In Blue [Cassette Rehearsal]* / When The Scream Subsides [Cassette Rehearsal]* / We Came To Dance [Cassette Rehearsal]* / Cut And Run [Cassette Rehearsal]* / The Song (We Go) [Cassette Rehearsal]* / Reap The Wild Wind [Monitor Mix]* / Visions In Blue [Monitor Mix]* / Cut & Run [Monitor Mix]* / Mine For Life [Monitor Mix]* / Hymn [Monitor Mix]* / Serenade [Monitor Mix]* / We Came To Dance [Monitor Mix]*

CD5 - Hammersmith 1982 [Part One]
Reap The Wild Wind* / When The Scream Subsides* / The Thin Wall* / New Europeans* / We Stand Alone* / I Remember (Death In The Afternoon)* / Visions In Blue* / Mr. X* / Sleepwalk*

CD6 - Hammersmith 1982 [Part Two]
The Voice* / Vienna* / Astradyne* / All Stood Still* / Passing Strangers* / Mine For Life* Hymn* / The Song (We Go)*

DVD [Audio Only]
Quartet Album & B-Sides: Steven Wilson Stereo Mix* & 5.1 Surround Mix* / Original 1982 Album & B-Sides [96/24 LPCM Stereo Mix]. Region 0 [All], Video Format: NTSC

DELUXE EDITION VINYL BOX SET [4LP Clear Vinyl]

LP1 - Quartet: Original 1982 Analog Master
Reap The Wild Wind / Serenade / Mine For Life / Hymn / Visions In Blue / When The Scream Subsides / We Came To Dance / Cut And Run / The Song (We Go)

LP2 - Singles, B-Sides
Reap The Wild Wind [Single Version] / Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) / Hymn [Single Version] / Monument / The Thin Wall [Live] / Visions In Blue [Single Version] / Break Your Back / Reap The Wild Wind [Live] / We Came To Dance [Single Version] / Overlook

LP3 - Hammersmith 1982 [Part One]
Reap The Wild Wind* / When The Scream Subsides* / The Thin Wall* / New Europeans* / We Stand Alone* / I Remember (Death In The Afternoon)* / Visions In Blue* / Mr. X* / Sleepwalk*

LP4 - Hammersmith 1982 [Part Two]
The Voice* / Vienna* / Astradyne* / All Stood Still* / Passing Strangers* / Mine For Life* Hymn* / The Song (We Go)*

DELUXE EDITION HALF-SPEED MASTER [2LP Black Vinyl]

LP1 - Quartet: Original 1982 Analog Master

LP2 - Singles, B-Sides
Reap The Wild Wind [Single Version] / Hosanna (In Excelsis Deo) / Hymn [Single Version] / Monument / The Thin Wall [Live] / Visions In Blue [Single Version] / Break Your Back / Reap The Wild Wind [Live] / We Came To Dance [Single Version] / Overlook

The new Steven Wilson mix of Reap the Wild Wind is out now on digital services and a newly remastered video on YouTube. Listen and Watch here: https://ultravox.lnk.to/ReapTheWildWind
Uvox
The Jet Set

Postby BigManRestless » Mon Jul 17, 2023 1:48 am

I really like the Wilson remix. Just to note that the 12" mix of We Can Came To Dance is not the full length 8 minute version, but the slightly shorter one. The longer one is on the Extended double CD from a few years ago.

No doubt a standalone instrumental mix CD / album will follow, if the release pattern for Vienna and Rage In Eden is being repeated.
BigManRestless
The Jet Set

Postby Sean » Tue Jul 18, 2023 9:59 am

BigManRestless wrote:I really like the Wilson remix. Just to note that the 12" mix of We Can Came To Dance is not the full length 8 minute version, but the slightly shorter one. The longer one is on the Extended double CD from a few years ago.

No doubt a standalone instrumental mix CD / album will follow, if the release pattern for Vienna and Rage In Eden is being repeated.

Anxiously waiting for the 2cd RSD release with instrumentals!
I am a camera!!!
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby dlgladwin » Wed Jul 19, 2023 1:31 am

Is the live flexi version of The Voice on Disc 3 just a fade or edit of the track from Monument?

Same show, right? As with Reap the Wild Wind earlier on that disc.
-----------------
Read what I'm writing?
dlgladwin
Take On Me

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations