Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

The Boomtown Rats Are Coming.......

Postby skinnytie » Mon May 30, 2005 3:48 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>I am confused (no surprise that!). I remember a BR tune called Rain that I really liked. From 1984 or so. I don't see it listed on any of the releases. Can anyone explain this?
[/quote]

"Rain" was actually the U.S. version of "Dave". Rumor has it that the song was reworked for the American market, as the record company thought it wasn't marketable as it was (possible some gay phobia about a guy singing a song to another guy, even though the song has nothing to do with that whatsoever). Most fans prefer "Dave" over "Rain", as does Bob Geldof, so it's no surprise to me that it was left out.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Mon May 30, 2005 6:27 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by skinnytie[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br>I am confused (no surprise that!). I remember a BR tune called Rain that I really liked. From 1984 or so. I don't see it listed on any of the releases. Can anyone explain this?
[/quote]

"Rain" was actually the U.S. version of "Dave". Rumor has it that the song was reworked for the American market, as the record company thought it wasn't marketable as it was (possible some gay phobia about a guy singing a song to another guy, even though the song has nothing to do with that whatsoever). Most fans prefer "Dave" over "Rain", as does Bob Geldof, so it's no surprise to me that it was left out.
[/quote]

A ha!!
Thanks!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Tue May 31, 2005 5:11 am

Okay, here's another weird thing about these re-releases. On some of the new releases the track order has been altered! And my original cd of Mondo Bongo has "Up All Night", while the re-release doesn't: but it (and a 12" mix) is included on the V Deep re-release! On the original UK vinyl releases which one included Up All Night? And why has it been changed for the cd releases? And why doesn't the US have these releases domestically? And who moved my cheese!!!

Is there any reason to get the Greatest Hits remaster if I have all the other re-releases?

Skinnytie??
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Tue May 31, 2005 11:31 am

My only guess on the track listing is that since they are UK imports, it seems logical that the CD remasters are also following the original UK track listings. "Up All Night" was never on the UK vinyl release of "Mondo Bongo" (it was subsequently re-recorded for the UK edition of "V Deep"), and there other differences of track listings between other Boomtown Rats' UK vinyl releases vs. their US counterparts.

As for the order that the tracks are in, I have no idea why they've been changed. I don't remember if there were differences between the track order of the UK vinyl vs the US vinyl, but I know on "V Deep", the order was basically the same on both, and it's been totally re-arranged on the new CD.

If you're looking for the original version of "Up All Night" from Mondo Bongo, I'm sure it's available on some compilation, such as Rhino's "Just Can't Get Enough" series, or maybe even on a Boomtown Rats greatest hits (or even on the original US "Mondo Bongo" CD). As for me, I decided to keep my old versions of all the CD's (the track order is what I remember from the vinyl, the bonus tracks on "A Tonic For the Troops" weren't all included on the remasters, and the snippets that ended side 1 and side 2 on "The Fine Art of Surfacing" and on side 2 of "V Deep" are left intact).
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Tue May 31, 2005 11:59 am

<br>My only guess on the track listing is that since they are UK imports, it seems logical that the CD remasters are also following the original UK track listings. "Up All Night" was never on the UK vinyl release of "Mondo Bongo" (it was subsequently re-recorded for the UK edition of "V Deep"), and there other differences of track listings between other Boomtown Rats' UK vinyl releases vs. their US counterparts.

As for the order that the tracks are in, I have no idea why they've been changed. I don't remember if there were differences between the track order of the UK vinyl vs the US vinyl, but I know on "V Deep", the order was basically the same on both, and it's been totally re-arranged on the new CD.

If you're looking for the original version of "Up All Night" from Mondo Bongo, I'm sure it's available on some compilation, such as Rhino's "Just Can't Get Enough" series, or maybe even on a Boomtown Rats greatest hits (or even on the original US "Mondo Bongo" CD). As for me, I decided to keep my old versions of all the CD's (the track order is what I remember from the vinyl, the bonus tracks on "A Tonic For the Troops" weren't all included on the remasters, and the snippets that ended side 1 and side 2 on "The Fine Art of Surfacing" and on side 2 of "V Deep" are left intact).
[/quote]

I have the US Cd of Mondo Bongo...yes, the original UK V Deep had Up All Night, not Mondo Bongo.
Really bizarre all the different versions! And on the liner notes for the remasters Bob Geldof says the track listings have been altered in some of the releases, something to do with the fact that the LPs had 2 sides, as opposed to CDs.
And my Best Of is also a US CD, with a meager 10 tracks!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:32 am

<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
[/quote]

[/quote]

I watched the video for this song for the first time this week. And really listened to the lyrics. Scary tune! Does anyone know if "Dave" was based on a real person? And I realize now that MFV has "Rain" included on it [:)]
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:59 am

I believe it was based on a real person, an acquaitance of Sir Bob's who was going through a very tough time of things, if I remember his telling of the creation of the song correctly.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby rewind » Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:38 am

From BBC News 6/14/05...

--Boomtown Rats to sue Bob Geldof--

Bob Geldof has been threatened with legal action by ex-members of his old band the Boomtown Rats over alleged unpaid royalties.
They claim he owes them money from the 1970s and 1980s, when the band had hits including I Don't Like Mondays.

Guitarist Gerry Cott, Simon Crowe, Garrick Roberts and John "Johnnie Fingers" Moylett have united to try to get the money they claim they are owed.

Geldof was unavailable to comment on Tuesday, his spokesman said.

The Boomtown Rats split in 1986, not long after they performed at Live Aid, which Geldof organised.

He is now involved in setting up the Live 8 shows to highlight global poverty.

In a statement released by Cott, who quit the band in 1981, they said: "We jointly confirm that with the utmost regret we are pressing ahead with our claims against Bob Geldof and others for our rightful entitlement to a proper share of recording, publishing and merchandising income.

''We have retained the London solicitor Angel and Co to act on our behalf and anticipate that proceedings will have to be issued shortly. We have no further comment at this stage."

They have also requested financial information from Universal Music - the record label which released a Boomtown Rats greatest hits compilation and re-mastered versions of their six studio albums earlier this year.

The Boomtown Rats scored 14 hit singles in the UK charts between 1977 and 1984 - including two number ones - and released five hit albums.

Geldof is credited as the sole writer on many of the band's songs.
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Mon Jun 27, 2005 1:04 pm

Just found out that "Rain" is on the "Great Songs of Indifference" compilation. It was listed on the import, at any rate.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Wed Jun 29, 2005 12:11 pm

<br>Just found out that "Rain" is on the "Great Songs of Indifference" compilation. It was listed on the import, at any rate.
[/quote]

I cannot see it listed in the track listing:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... ce&s=music

Is Amazon wrong? They seem to have a truckload of these available for a cheap rate.
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby I. M. He » Wed Jun 29, 2005 6:07 pm

It's there - on the Canadian version at least... track 12. Oddly enough though, it's credited to Bob Geldof not The Boomtown Rats. Also, although I can't remember for sure as I haven't heard it years, but 'Rain' had totally different lyrics to 'Dave', correct?
Well, if that's the case GSoI has a typo - this ain't 'Rain', it's 'Dave'.

-mk-
I. M. He
Take On Me

Postby whistledog » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:36 pm

Which was the album that had 'Never in A Million Years'. Was that V Deep or Mondo Bongo? I can never remember. LOL
whistledog
Personal Jesus

Postby I. M. He » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:37 am

'Never in A Million Years' is from V Deep (which for all these years - I bought it when it was originally released back in '82 - I've thought of it as 'Vee Deep'!) It took Sir Bob's liner notes to correct that error...

-mk-
I. M. He
Take On Me

Previous

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations