Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

devo re-releases

devo re-releases

Postby bruiser » Wed Feb 02, 2005 5:25 am

i don't know if these are remastered or just the old japanese master re-released, but "duty now for the future" and "new traditionalists" are coming out at the end of february. these are not the "infinite zero" releases, in that there are no extra tracks and the cd cover is the full size album, not bordered in white.

"shout" and "oh no" were also mentioned last year, but we'll see how these sell. i'm buying them just because. i won't have to shlep out my infinite zero cds anymore!

oh, they'll be around 10 bucks each! wow!

now if only "freedom of choice" and "q:a" would get remastered. IF ONLY.
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby Sean » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:08 am

Weird how they skipped the album in the middle. Freedom of Choice definitely needs to get remastered.
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby gazebo » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:18 am

They'll forever be known for their infamous flowerpot hats, but more importantly, Devo was one of the architects of American new wave in the late 1970s and early '80s, whether spastically deconstructing the Stones' "Satisfaction" or churning out irresistible synth hooks. Their social satire added a valuable element of irony missing from many other groups of the era. Devo paved the way for both synth-pop and geek-rock. Singer Mark Mothersbaugh went on to become a successful film composer, but the group engaged in periodic reunions over the years

DEVO - duty now for the future COLLECTABLES RECORDS 22.02.2005

01. Devo Corporate Anthem
02. Clockout
03. Timing X
04. Wiggly World
05. Blockhead
06. Strange Pursuit
07. S. I. B. (Swelling Itching Brain)
08. Triumph Of The Will
09. The Day My Baby Gave Me A Surprize
10. Pink Pussycat
11. Secret Agent Man
12. Smart Patrol / Mr. DNA
13. Red Eye

DEVO - new traditionals COLLECTABLES RECORDS 22.02.2005

01. Through Being Cool
02. Jerkin' Back 'N' Forth
03. Pity You
04. Soft Things
05. Going Under
06. Race Of Doom
07. Love Without Anger
08. The Super Thing
09. Beautiful World
10. Enough Said
gazebo
Personal Jesus

Postby bruiser » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:03 am

after some digging around spudtalk:

collectables records DOES have the rights to "oh no" and "shout" after all, and will eventually release these as well. which rocks!

"Q:A" rights have also been leased out too, and a 2 cd treatment was discussed, but that's all the info there is apparently. crap!
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby Jason² » Thu Feb 03, 2005 12:55 pm

REALLY nervous about these. This is the same label that did the Bananarama reissues - and we all know how "great" those turned out. I wouldn't stow those Infinite Zero CDs just yet....
Jason²
The Jet Set

Postby bruiser » Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:46 pm

yep, i agree. i saw that they were the same people and thought: "meh".
however, if it just means no bonus tracks, fine. as long as the sound is suped up and doesn't sound like the virgin two-fers, it's all good. as they say. besides, if this is to rope in new teeny-bopper 80's enthusiasts, it's a good idea to make them bare bones and inexpensive- us devo old-timers have all of this and bonus tracks and demos and all that anyway.
i'd like another rhino handmade release, certainly. there are more "oh no!" and "shout" demos out there...
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby jimmyvee » Mon Feb 07, 2005 9:28 am

I was lucky enough to score the japanese discs years ago, which were more expensive than a regular US CD but well worth it to me. The only thing the Infinite Zero discs had that I wanted was a bonus track from Oh NO called Find Out, which I have on an old EP from the 80's. I tracked down the mp3 of it from an infinite Zero sampler disc. Love that song.

I was happy to have seen the spuds on several tours, including New Trads and Oh No, at the LA Forum and the Universal Amphitheatre respectively. Later saw them at the Palace in Hollywood around the Smooth Noodle Maps period.

Later, I was most fortunate to meet and work with Gerald Casale on a music video he directed. I helped do the storyboards for it and got him to sign my Nutra Speaks picture disc from New Trads. He was a very cool guy to work with and very gracious when I busted out the disc at the end of the day (didn't want to be an uber-geek ALL day long)
jimmyvee
Running Up That Hill

Postby Lazlo Nibble » Wed Aug 17, 2005 12:59 pm

Thread resurrection!

What's the sound like on the Collectables reissues? I know the packaging bites, I'm resigned to that. But if they're noticably better-sounding than the Virgin twofers I'm willing to pick them up anyway. Has anyone bitten the bullet yet?
Lazlo Nibble
Take On Me

Postby Surly » Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:52 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Lazlo Nibble[/i]
<br>Thread resurrection!

What's the sound like on the Collectables reissues? I know the packaging bites, I'm resigned to that. But if they're noticably better-sounding than the Virgin twofers I'm willing to pick them up anyway. Has anyone bitten the bullet yet?
[/quote]

I have them all, only because I received some promotional copies. Sound is decent, but not really remastered. You're probably fine with the Virgin two-fers you have already. Packaging isn't the worst - not much inside, but they look OK.
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby bruiser » Fri Aug 19, 2005 12:01 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Surly[/i]
<br>[quote][i]Originally posted by Lazlo Nibble[/i]
<br>Thread resurrection!

[/quote]

I have them all, only because I received some promotional copies. Sound is decent, but not really remastered. You're probably fine with the Virgin two-fers you have already. Packaging isn't the worst - not much inside, but they look OK.
[/quote]

but you'll have to buy the re-issue of "shout" if you want it, because it's not on the virgin two-fers. however, the two-fers have the "devo live" e.p. (and the expanded track cd is now out of print at rhinohandmade.com i think, which is a shame) and the "freedom of choice" one (which sounds better than the domestic cd) has the only cd version of the b-side "turn around"-

HOWEVER: that devo live dvd that is coming out next month is either a dualdisc or has an extra cd, and it is another concert from that same tour; it also has booji boy songs and never on cd live tracks! wow!
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby Lucyeth » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:40 pm

If I have to choose between the Collectables versions and the Infinite Zeros (which I'll have to get used), which ones should I go for? Does anyone know if the sound quality is comparable or are the Infinite Zero ones better? I know they have bonus tracks, but I'm not that concerned about them. Thanks!

PS I had the Virgin 2-fers but hated the sound quality so I gave them to a friend.
Lucyeth
Running Up That Hill

Postby bruiser » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:57 pm

well, it is subject to debate whether the collectables reissues are taken from the infinite zero remasters or the japanese cds! yikes!
i will say this: they are better than the virgin two-fers. if you don't care about the bonus tracks get the new releases, they sound fine. and the price is RIGHT. like 10 bucks? and funny enough, they will sound much better than the warner's "freedom of choice," still in original print and outselling them by the thousands. god, warner bros. sucks.
bruiser
The Jet Set

Postby Lucyeth » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:46 pm

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting Duty Now and New Trad from Collectables, and Oh No Infinite Zero off of ebay, as that one had extras I really wanted.
Lucyeth
Running Up That Hill

Postby bruiser » Wed Aug 31, 2005 7:57 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Lucyeth[/i]
<br>Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting Duty Now and New Trad from Collectables, and Oh No Infinite Zero off of ebay, as that one had extras I really wanted.
[/quote]

yep, "find out" is a must have.
bruiser
The Jet Set

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations