Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Classix Nouveaux: The Liberty Recordings 1981-1983 - 4 CDs

Classix Nouveaux: The Liberty Recordings 1981-1983 - 4 CDs

Postby ShinyOne » Sat Dec 05, 2020 1:17 am

Released February 26, 2021 - Cherry Red Records

Track Listing:

DISC ONE:

CLASSIX NOUVEAUX

1. FOREWARD
2. GUILTY
3. NASTY LITTLE GREEN MEN
4. NO SYMPATHY
5. INSIDE OUTSIDE
6. 623
7. ROBOTS DANCE
8. EVERY HOME
9. TOKYO
10. RUN AWAY
11. THE PROTECTOR OF NIGHT

BONUS TRACKS
12. TEST TUBE BABIES
13. NIGHT PEOPLE
14. ROBOTS DANCE (NEW VERSION)

DISC TWO:

NIGHT PEOPLE

1. FOREWARD
2. GUILTY
3. RUN AWAY
4. NO SYMPATHY, NO VIOLINS
5. INSIDE OUTSIDE
6. 623
7. EVERY HOME SHOULD HAVE ONE
8. TOKYO
9. OR A MOVIE
10. SOLDIER
11. THE PROTECTOR OF NIGHT

BONUS TRACKS
12. INSIDE OUTSIDE (12” VERSION)
13. WE DON’T BITE (COME A LITTLE CLOSER)
14. INSIDE OUTSIDE (7” VERSION)
15. OLD WORLD FOR SALE

DISC THREE:

LA VERITÉ

1. FOREWARD
2. IS IT A DREAM
3. TO BELIEVE
4. BECAUSE YOU’RE YOUNG
5. SIX TO EIGHT
6. LA VERITÉ
7. NEVER AGAIN
8. IT’S ALL OVER
9. 1999
10. I WILL RETURN
11. FINALE

BONUS TRACKS

12. NEVER AGAIN (THE DAYS TIME ERASED) (SHORT VERSION)
13. 627
14. NEVER AGAIN (THE DAYS TIME ERASED) (LONG VERSION)
15. IS IT A DREAM (7” VERSION)
16. WHERE TO GO
17. BECAUSE YOU’RE YOUNG (12” VERSION)
18. BECAUSE YOU’RE YOUNG (EDIT)
19. IT’S NOT TOO LATE
20. IS IT A DREAM (EDIT)
21. CHEMIN CHAGRIN

DISC FOUR:

SECRET

1. ALL AROUND THE WORLD
2. MANITOU
3. HEART FROM THE START
4. THE FIRE INSIDE
5. FOREVER AND A DAY
6. NEVER NEVER COMES
7. THE UNLOVED
8. WHEN THEY ALL HAVE GONE
9. NO OTHER WAY

BONUS TRACKS

10. THE END… OR THE BEGINNING?
11. THE END… OR THE BEGINNING? (LONG VERSION) (INSTRUMENTAL VERSION)
13. SWITCH (7” VERSION)
14. FOREVER AND A DAY (EXTENDED VERSION)
15. SWITCH (FULL LENGTH VERSION)
16. MANITOU (EXTENDED VERSION)
17. MANITOU (INSTRUMENTAL VERSION)
ShinyOne
Running Up That Hill

Re: Classix Nouveaux: The Liberty Recordings 1981-1983 - 4 C

Postby xymox970 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:04 am

Now..... this is more like it......its been a long time coming...... :)

Just a minute.......where is Is It A Dream (extended) ??
xymox970
The Jet Set

Postby discoginfo » Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:36 am

Why did they chose to include both the UK and the US version of their debut (1981) LP?
Several tracks will be featured twice over two discs. I guess they want to satisfy both markets?
But I also believe they could have fitted all those tracks onto one CD, saving a disc for "The River Sessions" (live 24 April 1982),
/JW
http://www.discog.info/classix-nouveaux.html
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Sat Dec 05, 2020 9:44 am

I recall their last album Secret being repressed on cd, because the first version was a bad vinyl sourced one. Did anyone hear the second version?
omar
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Sat Dec 05, 2020 2:46 pm

Notice that nowhere does it say 'remastered'. With that being the case, and the fact that there's nothing that hasn't already been issued on CD, I expect this will be little more than the same masterings from past editions cobbled together in this new redundant package. Which means it will likely include the crap quality vinyl remaster of Secret.

During my time with CR, I sent them a new Secret master that I don't think ever made it into production (or they certainly didn't tell me). Regardless, that was over 10 years ago and it still wasn't from a master source. But rest assured, the masters do still exist (likely multiple copies) in the Warner tape archive.

A few months back I was informed Warner UK may start licensing titles to the U.S. market again, which has not been an option for a few years. I submitted various requests, one of which was going to be a 12" mix collection by Classix. Before I retract the request I want to hear what people think of the quality of this new set because if it is the rehash I'm expecting then perhaps I would still proceed with my comp if it gets clearance. Besides, mine was set to include that alternate recording of Tokyo from the Polish 'Classics' LP, which is not in this box. I don't doubt for a second there are outtakes or unreleased material by the band, CR just weren't going to go there.

And I agree that to have the U.S. self titled album represented is rather repetitive and redundant.
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:52 am

As I see it, these are the "non-LP" tracks/versions for their first LP, based on the UK LP, not the "International" (US) LP.

The Robots Dance 3.53
Nasty Little Green Men 3.14
Test Tube Babies 2.45
Guilty (Single Version) 3.17
Night People 3.51
The Robots Dance (New Version) 5.03
The Robots Dance (US LP Mix) 3.53
Old World for Sale 2.35
Tokyo (demo/early rough mix)
Inside Outside (Single Version) 3.18
We Don't Bite (Come A Little Closer) 3.23
Every Home (Single Version) 3.15
Inside Outside (Single Edit) 3.18
Inside Outside [12" Version] 4.10
Last edited by discoginfo on Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:43 am, edited 5 times in total.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby Passing_Stranger » Sun Dec 06, 2020 5:37 pm

Great - and, sadly, all but forgotten band. I have an immense soft spot for them, they should've been so much more successful! Why things didn't work out for them, I cannot understand for the life of me (it couldn't have been because of Sal's haircut, could it?!). So nice to see the attention being drawn to them. Still, the box is rather strangely compiled. The US LP had some different versions of a couple of songs ("Guilty", "Every home") but that's not enough to warrant an inclusion of a separate disc, they could've simply used the bonus tracked remaster of "Night people", that had pretty much everything. Nice to see the other two albums getting the additional bonus tracks - could never understand why those were so short on them, irritated me no end. Still, at least Classix are not forgotten, this is the important thing about it.
Passing_Stranger
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Sun Dec 06, 2020 8:53 pm

I liked Classix a lot, I have Night People, La Verite and The Liberty Singles Collection already so buying this boxset wouldn’t be a priority, only after reading reviews. Like mentioned before we should approach this with caution and see if these are actually “remastered” from the original source tapes or just a rehash of earlier Cherry Red recordings. Apparently Sal Solo was involved in this release and wrote a forward.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Mon Dec 07, 2020 1:08 am

Passing_Stranger wrote:The US LP had some different versions of a couple of songs ("Guilty", "Every home")

I did not know! So, only those two songs then? I wonder who remixed/changed those tracks, someone associated with the group, or someone from their US record company.
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:37 am

Interesting timing here. i was just looking into Classix Nouveaux on CD last week before the new CR mail and saw that there were only issues from 18 years ago that were expensive OOP discs now. Since I only have the US debut and two copies of the Canadian [?] "La Verité" LP, I might consider this…unless reports of a total sonic disaster drift in. Anything Rubellan Remasters might do afterward…I'm in for!!
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Rubellan » Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:43 am

discoginfo wrote:
Passing_Stranger wrote:The US LP had some different versions of a couple of songs ("Guilty", "Every home")

I did not know! So, only those two songs then? I wonder who remixed/changed those tracks, someone associated with the group, or someone from their US record company.

Nothing special, the U.S. LP contained the single versions of Guilty and Every Home. The only track that sounds different is The Robot's Dance, the cymbals are boosted in the mix much louder than the original single. If this is just another CR 'rehashtered' CD then they will just have the standard mix in place on the alleged U.S. album CD.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby discoginfo » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:22 am

Rubellan wrote:the U.S. LP contained the single versions of Guilty and Every Home. The only track that sounds different is The Robot's Dance, the cymbals are boosted in the mix much louder than the original single.

Thanks for info! So, they could have just added the following seven extra essential tracks after the Original UK LP Version:
The Robots Dance 3.53
Test Tube Babies 2.45
Night People 3.51
Old World for Sale 2.35

PS on CD 2, "Inside Outside (12" Version)" is a bonus track, but as far as I know, that is the same as the (UK) LP Version, no??
discoginfo
Room at the Top

Postby Rubellan » Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:32 am

discoginfo wrote:
Rubellan wrote:the U.S. LP contained the single versions of Guilty and Every Home. The only track that sounds different is The Robot's Dance, the cymbals are boosted in the mix much louder than the original single.

Thanks for info! So, they could have just added the following seven extra essential tracks after the Original UK LP Version:
The Robots Dance 3.53
Test Tube Babies 2.45
Night People 3.51
Old World for Sale 2.35

PS on CD 2, "Inside Outside (12" Version)" is a bonus track, but as far as I know, that is the same as the (UK) LP Version, no??

The 12" Mix of Inside Outside is a completely different recording of the song. Not necessarily extended but a different version. The 7" mix was just the LP version with the intro cut out. I suspect the 12" is from the same session that gave the new version of The Robot's Dance and the alternate version of Tokyo, it sounds similar to those.
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Postby profil » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:42 am

Rubellan wrote:Notice that nowhere does it say 'remastered'. With that being the case, and the fact that there's nothing that hasn't already been issued on CD, I expect this will be little more than the same masterings from past editions cobbled together in this new redundant package. Which means it will likely include the crap quality vinyl remaster of Secret.

During my time with CR, I sent them a new Secret master that I don't think ever made it into production (or they certainly didn't tell me). Regardless, that was over 10 years ago and it still wasn't from a master source. But rest assured, the masters do still exist (likely multiple copies) in the Warner tape archive.

A few months back I was informed Warner UK may start licensing titles to the U.S. market again, which has not been an option for a few years. I submitted various requests, one of which was going to be a 12" mix collection by Classix. Before I retract the request I want to hear what people think of the quality of this new set because if it is the rehash I'm expecting then perhaps I would still proceed with my comp if it gets clearance. Besides, mine was set to include that alternate recording of Tokyo from the Polish 'Classics' LP, which is not in this box. I don't doubt for a second there are outtakes or unreleased material by the band, CR just weren't going to go there.

And I agree that to have the U.S. self titled album represented is rather repetitive and redundant.

A winning combination: Classix Nouveaux album remastered by Rubellan.
I will buy within one minute.

Love this band - especially their first two albums. And they always had very good non-album songs as their b-sides.
As passing strangers said, "they should've been so much more successful!" I also cannot understand why they didn't make it: great songs, good production and part of the zeitgeist.

I have bought every Classix Nouveaux release so far - there aren't that many. And I can't resist to buy this boxset - still hope that the sound quality will be a good remastering.

@Scott: Your remastering in combination with a Classix Nouveaux 12" mix collection on cd - maybe one or two more so far unreleased versions on cd. It doesn't need more and I'm in again. :D
Take On Me

Postby profil » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:50 am

Btw does anybody know how many versions do exist from "Guilty"?

There is a US 12" which has two versions:
https://www.discogs.com/Classix-Nouveau ... se/1700237
Long version: 4:40
Short version: 3:11

Are these the same as the two album versions (US / UK)?
And the so called "New version" (3.19)?
And the 7" single version (3.11)?
Take On Me

Next

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations