Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

New release news: Divinyls, Oingo Boingo, Ultravox

New release news: Divinyls, Oingo Boingo, Ultravox

Postby Rubellan » Tue Jul 27, 2021 7:02 pm

Now available for pre-order is the new colored vinyl reissue of the Divinyls compilation 'Essential'.

All four Oingo Boingo CD's should be in hand by the end of the week. Pre-orders will start sometime in August.

Oingo Boingo LP's number 2 and 3 are both expected to be in hand by mid-September with pre-orders beginning around then. The re-press of LP 1 is expected in December and will go on sale soon into the new year. These are different color variations than the first pressings.

Ultravox 'Three Into One' colored vinyl reissue still expected in October, test pressings just received this week and sound great.

https://www.rubellanremasters.com/releases
Scott @ Rubellan Remasters
www.rubellanremasters.com
Rubellan
Room at the Top

Re: New release news: Divinyls, Oingo Boingo, Ultravox

Postby postpunkmonk » Wed Jul 28, 2021 4:28 am

Good news for fans of RR. I hope that you can continue the CDs. I feel that the industry is settling into a record or streaming binary with the CD being deliberately marginalized. After they have spent a generation trying to ruin the sound a CD is capable of delivering. I worry about the pressing plants being sold off for the real estate. We had a CD/DVD plant Arvato locally that shuttered 6-8 years ago and the facility was sold off for only $8.1M to a homeopathic business!! Chills my blood.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby Glenn » Wed Jul 28, 2021 12:34 pm

Excited about the Boingo CD releases Scott.

Was reviewing the track listings on your site and happy to see all the bonus tracks. For Dead Man's Party you mentioned that the disc is full at over 79 mins. Curious if you considered expanding that one to a 2-CD set to include other remixes or tracks from that album.

Dead Man's Party had an instrumental on a UK promo 12": https://www.discogs.com/Oingo-Boingo-De ... se/1690156
Weird Science had two mixes that were exclusive to the promo 12": https://www.discogs.com/Oingo-Boingo-We ... se/2501313

Were there other tracks you had considered for any of these?

Are more Boingo albums coming out? I know So-Lo was reissued a while back but missed out on including the Gratitude remixes. Would be great to get the rest of the albums with bonus tracks as well. Especially those remixes that aren't on CD yet (Pain, Not My Slave).

Will be ordering these CDs as soon as the pre-order goes live. Thanks for your efforts!
Glenn
Take On Me

Postby telekon3 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:38 am

I just pre-ordered
All 4 Oingo Boingo Remastered & Expanded CD reissues
Release date 8/27/2021

https://www.rubellanremasters.com/boingobundle

I can't wait!
Oingo Boingo,
actually The Mystic Knights of Oingo Boingo back then
was my first "New Wave" concert. (1978 or 79 Golden Bear - Huntington Beach)
I didn't know if they were a band or a musical improv group.
Later that year, I had a record titled "L.A. In: A Collection Of Los Angeles Rock And New Wave Bands"
with a song called "I'm Afraid" by now just Oingo Boingo.
Later that summer I got the Oingo Boingo 10'' e.p.
From then out Oingo Boingo was a staple on L.A.'s KROQ.
telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:05 pm

telekon3 wrote:Later that year, I had a record titled "L.A. In: A Collection Of Los Angeles Rock And New Wave Bands"

You remind me that I need to play that album! I bought a copy about 12-14 years ago!
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby jaybag » Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:50 pm

telekon3 wrote:I just pre-ordered
All 4 Oingo Boingo Remastered & Expanded CD reissues
Release date 8/27/2021

I can't wait!
Oingo Boingo,
actually The Mystic Knights of Oingo Boingo back then
was my first "New Wave" concert. (1978 or 79 Golden Bear - Huntington Beach)
I didn't know if they were a band or a musical improv group.
Later that year, I had a record titled "L.A. In: A Collection Of Los Angeles Rock And New Wave Bands"
Later that summer I got the Oingo Boingo 10'' e.p.
From then out Oingo Boingo was a staple on L.A.'s KROQ.

Right behind ya! Just ordered my bundle to keep my Rubellan Remasters collection complete. I'm absolutely buying whatever Scott's selling. Love the Mystic Knights concert story - I didn't see them live until several years later (I think was a prerequisite that in order to live anywhere near L.A. you had to have seen Boingo live at least once).
jaybag
Personal Jesus

Postby telekon3 » Mon Aug 23, 2021 7:11 am

I got All 4 Oingo Boingo Remastered & Expanded CD reissues in the mail this weekend.
As usual, they are amazing sounding.
I can't really comment from a technical perspective,
but I know when something sounds good.
The bonus tracks are a big plus.
I wish Scott could remaster every New Wave CD that needs to be remastered.
Thank you!

telekon3
Personal Jesus

Postby ABOATES » Mon Aug 23, 2021 10:43 am

Wow! I am five tracks into Good for Your Soul and all I can say is wow! I have known this album (and all of the others) for nearly 40 years and I can honestly say that I am hearing things in these tracks that I never heard before! I listened to the original CD last night just to give myself a reference knowing that the remasters were arriving today. The original CD sounds decent, but is quite thin, slightly overly bright, and is quite collapsed in soundstage. The new CD literally rectifies all of that. It sounds so pleasing and musical and clear, the songs sound fuller but not at all boated, drums and bass are more clear, but not louder...you just hear their tonality better. I am super impressed and happy. Can't wait to listen to Nothing to Fear! Thanks Scott!
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby ABOATES » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:47 am

I've now listened to a bit of Nothing to Fear. The crystal clarity continues, although I find this remaster a little more lively than Good For Your Soul. For example, in Private Life, the flute-like keyboard sounds that come in during the chorus are much more prominent than on the original. In fact, I would say in general, the music seems overall a tad more present and the vocals lie back a bit farther in the mix which gives it a very dynamic sound. It sounds more full and fleshed out than the original CD...which is true for GFYS too, but GFYS is slightly more relaxed sounding. Not sure if this is the UK master or simply how the original albums were mastered to begin with... I'd be fascinated to know how Scott makes decisions during the process, esp. if the original mix doesn't sound good in spots...how do you decide what to do? Change it and clear it up or leave as is even if you know you could improve it?
Anyway, LOVING the remasters so far! ;-)
ABOATES
Take On Me

Postby oldnewwaver » Mon Aug 23, 2021 9:37 pm

It is to bad that the Nothing to Fear re-issue does not include "Goodbye Goodbye" (1982) from Fast Times at Ridgmont High ST which the original is only available on that ST
sure there are some rights issues due to the record company
oldnewwaver
Personal Jesus

Postby ABOATES » Tue Aug 24, 2021 6:04 am

Yeah...I think I saw somewhere that has something to do w access to the material. That said, I personally am not usually a big fan of random bonus tracks jammed at the end of albums. I prefer reissues to mimic the original release as closely as possible. I know remixes/bonus tracks are often hotly debated in this forum, but they are not of interest to me normally. I like, for example, the paper sleeve Japan CD reissues that are miniature versions of the original albums, just w remastered sound quality. That said, most of the time...like 95% of the time...I prefer the original CDs' sound quality as well. Go figure! :-)
ABOATES
Take On Me

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations