Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Complete Gleaming Spires Reissues Coming Sep. 17 on CD

Complete Gleaming Spires Reissues Coming Sep. 17 on CD

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:04 am

Here's fantastic news for fans of Gleaming Spires. On Sept 17, 2021, Omnivore Recordings are reissuing all three Gleaming Spires albums on CD packed with a plethora of bonus tracks. Many * previously unreleased

Gleaming Spires: Songs Of The Spires DLX RM – US – CD [2021]

Going Hey Hey
Are You Ready For The Sex Girls?
While We Can
When Love Goes Under Glass
The End Of All Good Things
Watch Your Blood Beat
How To Get Girls Thru Hypnotism
Talking In The Dark
Big Hotels

BONUS:
The Bates Motel Demos
The Way Marlena Moves – Bates Motel*
Real Time – Bates Motel*
Only The Young Die Young – Bates Motel*
Dedication – Bates Motel*
Unexpected Overnighters – Bates Motel*
Real Love – Bates Motel*

B-sides/Life Out On The Lawn EP
Walk Right
Life Out On The Lawn
Somewhere [from West Side Story]
Passion Pit

Gleaming Spires: Walk On Well Lighted Streets DLX RM – US – CD [2021]

Mining
You’re Right
Big Surprise
Walk On Well Lighted Streets
Fun Type
A Christian Girl’s Problem
Happy Boy
At Together
The Making Love Project
Yes I Can

BONUS:
Party EP
Funk For Children
Does Your Mother Know? [ABBA® cover]
Christine [The Equals cover]
Brain Button
Funk For Children (Part II)
Brain Button (Part II)

Soundtrack Songs
It’s Kinda Like The Movies* ["Bad Manners" soundtrack - with Ron Mael on synths]
Are You Ready For The Sex Girls? (Full Band Version) ["Revenge of the Nerds" soundtrack]
All Night Party ["Revenge of the Nerds" soundtrack]

Gleaming Spires: Welcoming A New Ice Age DLX RM – US – CD [2021]

Mercy
Welcoming A New Ice Age
Tearaway
No One Coming Over
Your Secret Room
Bigger Than Life
Things I Have Done To Our Love
Blowing Up My Life
What’s Coming Next
Unprotected
Harm

Bonus:
"School Spirit" soundtrack songs
Here Comes Mr. Funhog*
Dedication*
I Want More*
A Boy And A Girl*
Suspicious Minds* [Elvis Presley cover]

Eleven Blue Men Session with Paul Cutler on guitar
It’s All Right Ma, I’m Only Bleeding – Eleven Blue Men* [Bob Dylan cover]
Crumbling – Eleven Blue Men *

Unreleased Gleaming Spires
That’s It, Forget It*

All CDs are jam-packed with liner notes and commentary by the band with curation by Chaim O'Brien-Blumenthal, who co-produced these with David Kendrick of Gleaming Spires and Cheryl Pawleski of Omnivore. The mastering by Michael Graves is excellent with full dynamic range.

See more and order here:

http://omnivorerecordings.com/shop/songs-of-the-spires/

http://omnivorerecordings.com/shop/glea ... d-streets/

http://omnivorerecordings.com/shop/glea ... w-ice-age/

These have been done right and this time… no LPS! Just CDs. David Kendrick said LPs may be further down the line, but these were originally intended to be Futurismo releases and when the label folded, Chaim found a new home for the project at Omnivore, which makes perfect sense.
https://postpunkmonk.com
For further rumination on the Fresh New Sound of Yesterday®
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Re: Complete Gleaming Spires Reissues Coming Sep. 17 on CD

Postby crichert » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:27 am

Wow, this is fantastic news!! To finally have a clean copy of Welcoming A New Ice Age, compared to my scratched and skipping LP is most exciting. Thanks for the info on this!! :mrgreen:
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Aug 30, 2021 10:52 am

crichert wrote:Wow, this is fantastic news!! To finally have a clean copy of Welcoming A New Ice Age, compared to my scratched and skipping LP is most exciting. Thanks for the info on this!! :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: Wait - are you from the old OMD forum? I remember seeing "mrgreen" all the time there. It's weird. I wrote about wanting to buy the complete Gleaming Spires on used vinyl and make my own CD-Rs a month ago and within days found out about this. Before I started spending a lot of money for a change.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Postby crichert » Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:29 am

Lol, yeah that was likely me. I used to frequent the OMD forums, but stopped several years back (same with the Alphaville forum). For some reason I'm drawn to the "mrgreen" emoji. :mrgreen:

postpunkmonk wrote:
crichert wrote:Wow, this is fantastic news!! To finally have a clean copy of Welcoming A New Ice Age, compared to my scratched and skipping LP is most exciting. Thanks for the info on this!! :mrgreen:

:mrgreen: Wait - are you from the old OMD forum? I remember seeing "mrgreen" all the time there. It's weird. I wrote about wanting to buy the complete Gleaming Spires on used vinyl and make my own CD-Rs a month ago and within days found out about this. Before I started spending a lot of money for a change.
crichert
Room at the Top

Postby omar » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:55 pm

I got all three cds today. Good sound quality (i'm sure some audio critics will have opinions, though.) The second album Walk On Well Lighted Streets (1983) is clearly the standout for me. Up to now the only song i knew by them was Are You Ready For The Sex Girls which was on a Just Can't Get Enough cd. But now after hearing all three I'm quite happy. They're almost like the US version of Blancmange (even an Abba cover here Does Your Mother Know) on the second album. Definitely worth it.
omar
Room at the Top

Postby postpunkmonk » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:21 am

That ABBA® cover is just perfection. They own the song now for me. I'd agree that "Walk On Well Lighted Streets" was a real peak accomplishment. What astounded me was that until a few years ago when I was first investigating the band I had no idea that they had anything but that first album. The second and third albums were only discovered a few years ago poking around Discogs. America's Blancmange? Maybe you've got something there. I can hear the vibe in the music, and Les Bohem could possibly fit into a Venn Diagram with Neil Arthur. But I find the Spires songs much, much darker.
postpunkmonk
Personal Jesus

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations