Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Simple Minds DVD Audio

Simple Minds DVD Audio

Postby Surly » Sat May 07, 2005 1:37 pm

I read somewhere else that an American company is licensing this from EMI UK (along with one for Once Upon A Time) for release here. I can't wait to hear this! It will work on any DVD player, but I do have DVD-Audio capabilites, so this will sound awesome in 5.1!! Lots of extended mixes and even a previously unreleased track! This article is from the Dream Giver fan site:

http://www.simple-minds.demon.co.uk/index2.htm

(from the site):

EMI DVDAV2230 7243 813171 98
I owe Virgin/EMI an apology. On paper, this release looked like another reissue of an reissue; a token release on yet another new format which would be of limited interest, only being playable on expensive equipment. My viewpoint was further jaundiced by listening to the SACD releases and wondering what all the fuss was about. I’d heard it all before.

This DVD-Audio is a revelation. And my new hero is Ronald Prent.

Taking the original 24-track analogue masters, he crafted a true 5:1 surround sound version of most of the album, so New Gold Dream now surrounds and envelopes, and you can be truly immersed in its lush textures and melodies. That alone would gain it a high recommendation.

But Prent was also loath to touch the volume control, leaving it high whilst Pete Walsh, with one eye on the limited space on vinyl and tape, was forced to fade. Thus Someone Somewhere (In Summertime), Big Sleep and Glittering Prize appear as new psuedo-extended forms with extended epilogs.

And, unfettered from the original sanctioned Walsh master from which all other releases were cast, Prent had a set of analogue masters which featured the entire recording sessions themselves. New, extended versions of Somebody Up There Likes You and Hunter And The Hunted appear, the former overlaid with more of Charlie’s haunting guitar lines, the latter featuring more of Herbie Hancock.

And Prent wasn’t shy of clipping studio banter. Pete Walsh, throat dry after sucking on innumerable cigarettes croaked “Rolling” as a marathon extended version of King Is White And In The Crowd kicks in. After a signal from the drums, the band abruptly stop, and Walsh congratulates “That’s the one.” Except it wasn’t and this is the first time it’s ever surfaced.

The icing on the cake, the beautiful bonus, was In Every Heaven. Again Prent has come up trumps, finding the vocals, with Jim hesitantly singing a sparse vocal over the choppy choruses. It has an unfinished feel, perhaps the reason for stripping it of words, and renaming it soundtrack, and downgrading it to B-side (it appeared on the flip of Someone Somewhere (In Summertime)).

The news gets better. Whilst DVD-Audio is a new(Ish) format, the sleeve now covered with symbols proclaiming formats and systems, the disc played in my bog standard PC-DVD (using PCM 2.0 stereo) and blasted with authority from my DTS enabled DVD (DTS Surround Sound 5:1). It will also play on DVD- Audio machines. And the disc itself is regionless.

Other bonuses included the videos for Promised You A Miracle and Glittering Prize but, at this stage, who cares? The music itself was enough.

So to Virgin/EMI: I’m sorry. What on paper looked like being yet another remaster of a remaster on a new format that little could play, turned out to be an alternative version of the album, a refreshing new view, and a must-have for every fan.

Someone Somewhere (In Summertime) [5:1 Extended Mix] (5:22)
Slow fade at end revealing extra vocals and different inflections.

Colours Fly And Catherine Wheel (3:48)
Same as the remaster. Not 5.1.

Promised You A Miracle (4:25)
Same as the remaster. Not 5.1.

Big Sleep [5:1 Extended Mix] (5:20)
Slow fade. Some extra vocals.

Somebody Up There Likes You [5:1 Extended Mix] (5:45)
Extended version with extra guitar and effects.

New Gold Dream [5:1 Extended Mix] (6:07)
The well known German-12" mix, but with extended intro. Unfortunately it fades before the end.

Glittering Prize [5:1 Extended Mix] (4.39)
Slow fade at the end, although there isn't much different.

Hunter And The Hunted [5:1 Extended Mix] (8.06)
Marathon version featuring far more Herbie Hancock.

King Is White And In The Crowd [5:1 Extended Mix] (7.28)
Extended version with Pete Walsh cues, count-in, band abruptly ending and final comments.

In Every Heaven [5:1 Mix] (4:55)
Soundtrack For Every Heaven now gets vocals.
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby yipyipcoyote » Fri May 20, 2005 9:51 am

i wish there would be a standard CD version
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby Surly » Fri May 20, 2005 12:06 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by yipyipcoyote[/i]
<br>i wish there would be a standard CD version
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockq
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Fri May 20, 2005 12:12 pm

[quote][i]Originally posted by Surly[/i]
<br><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr he
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Surly » Mon May 23, 2005 1:23 am

Yes, Pioneer makes some that play both, such as the DV-578A-S. Mine is a Pioneer and is similar, but came out a couple of years ago.
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby Sean » Mon May 23, 2005 4:50 am

Are the ones in the mini LP sleeves also remastered?
Sean
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Mon May 23, 2005 5:08 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by Sean[/i]
<br>Are the ones in the mini LP sleeves also remastered?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></block
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Surly » Mon May 23, 2005 5:32 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr
Surly
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Mon May 23, 2005 5:43 am

<br><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr he
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby yipyipcoyote » Tue May 24, 2005 8:43 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr heigh
yipyipcoyote
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Tue May 24, 2005 11:47 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by yipyipcoyote[/i]
<br><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby schwenko » Tue May 24, 2005 12:33 pm

<br>Yes, Pioneer makes some that play both, such as the DV-578A-S. Mine is a Pioneer and is simila
schwenko
Room at the Top

Postby Surly » Wed May 25, 2005 12:08 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by schwenko[/i]
<br><blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr
Surly
The Jet Set

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations