Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Kid Creole & the Coconuts

Kid Creole & the Coconuts

Postby skinnytie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 6:01 am

Great news! The last two Kid Creole studio albums yet to see the light of day on CD ("In Praise of Older Women and Other Crimes" and "I, Too, Have Seen the Woods") have finally been released on CD courtesy of Wounded Bird records. There are no bonus tracks on these releases, and I believe Wounded Bird did release others as well, such as "Wise Guy" (known overseas as "Tropical Gangsters") but again with no bonus tracks, unlike its UK counterpart. One can only hope at this point that there may be hope that the first Coconuts solo album will be seen on CD someday, as might the other Coconuts off-shoot band's self-titled album, "Boomerang".
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby WolverineSyr » Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:34 am

Love Kid Creole & the gang!
I forgot that the Coconuts released more than one album. I don't really remember the second one though - was it less Kid Creoleish & more dance oriented?
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Postby rewind » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:38 am

Speaking of Kid Creole, does anyone know if "My Male Curiosity" appears anywhere else aside from the "Against All Odds" soundtrack? (And I don't mean live versions from those atrocious "live" albums).
rewind
Room at the Top

Postby skinnytie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:24 am

WolverineSyr: the 2nd Coconuts solo album was entitled "Killer Bees", and I think it came out around 2000. I also believe this was a Japan only release. I didn't find the disc to be that memorable (the Coconuts open the album with "Double on Back", a Kid Creole b-side, and August Darnell only co-writes one other song, if I remember correctly), but the completist in me had to have it.

rewind: It's possible that "My Male Curiosity" might be on one of those import compilations (your best bet might be the 3-disc Ultimate collection available from the UK), but isn't on any other Kid Creole album for sure (might have to do with the record labels involved). I bought the "Against All Odds" soundtrack just for it. Again, the completist in me.
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby skinnytie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:28 am

And the Rainman label has re-released "The Conquest of You", and "Off the Coast of Me", the latter having the same bonus tracks as its UK counterpart. The Kid is having a busy August (I wonder if all involved planned it like that?).
skinnytie
The Jet Set

Postby WolverineSyr » Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:55 am

I checked the collections over at Amazon, including the 3 disc set - it isn't on there.

I managed to find some of the Kid's off shoot bands on lp a few years ago - Elbow Bones & the Rackeers and Gichy Dan's solo lp. Good stuff!
I may have Corey Daye's disco era album filed away somewhere too.
WolverineSyr
Room at the Top

Return to News, Reissues & Compilations