Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

MTV 120 Minutes

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

MTV 120 Minutes

Postby oneno » Fri May 16, 2003 1:53 am

How many people watched this as well as the earlier "NightFlight"? I recorded about 30 hours of early New Wave and various odd videos from this and am currently re-editing before burn.I forgot about alot of this stuff.I have some Cabaret Voltaire,Art of Noise, the Swans,They Might be Giants,Depeche Mode,Devo,Bauhaus (From there "retro Classics" segment.Cool stuff!

Consider the dafodil, and while you're doing that. I'll be over her going through your stuff.
Jack Handy
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby MikeP » Fri May 16, 2003 4:11 am

Yeah, 120 Minutes was a staple in my college days on into the mid-90's. Does it still exist? I walked away from MTV a long time ago. I have a lot of material on tape as well, including Andy Partridge's priceless appearance when Dave Kendall was hosting, where he slyly insulted his host, apparently affronted by Kendall comparing him (XTC) to other "contemporaries" like The Cure -- the only thing they had in common was probably their beginnings in the late 70's.

I might even have the near legendary Pavement appearance where they basically had nothing to say. Was it all a publicity stunt? Hard to say.
MikeP
President Am I

Postby Jay242 » Fri May 16, 2003 6:57 am

I used to watch 120 Minutes religiously up until that horrid AlternativeNation piece of crap started polluting the airwaves in its place.
Jay242
Take On Me

Postby oneno » Fri May 16, 2003 7:01 am

Na, it's not on anymore and the way the indie and alternative music scene is these days it's probably for the best. I remeber a bit where they used to give a brief music history blurb on a flash screen right before a commercial in the Dave Kendall days ,I think I have it on tape where they gave Ian Curtis' suicide dat and gave him dredit for being with Japan???I got "Grass" and "super supergirl" from xtc as well as "peter pumpkin head" and "dear lord".Wonder what ol' Dave's up to these day??wonder if he got rid of the hat?

Consider the dafodil, and while you're doing that. I'll be over her going through your stuff.
Jack Handy
oneno
Room at the Top

Postby chud69 » Sat May 17, 2003 4:50 am

Actually, 120 Minutes is still on, but only on MTV 2. I don't have MTV 2 but I'm sure the show sucks. It became such a joke in the last years it was on MTV, who cares anymore? I have the very first episode on tape as well as another from the same year of 1986. It really was a great show at the time. If anyone wants to trade tapes, let me know!
chud69
Running Up That Hill

Postby jumpshift » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:25 am

I've seen a list of all the songs/videos MTV 120 mins. played from 1986-2003. Is it still on? I'm trying to collect MP3s of all the songs they played from 1986-1992. Sure is hard though.
jumpshift
The Jet Set

Postby jumpshift » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:06 am

Sorry. I wasn't in the slightest, trying or intending to be annoying. Honest. I didn't know there was anything wrong with replying to old posts.
jumpshift
The Jet Set

Postby Frau_Blucher » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:13 am

Dammit Jumpshift, I hate when people are nice in reply to my impatient, twatish posts! There's nothing wrong per se with replying to old posts. I just found it annoying that you seemed to be digging through a whole stream of them with no particular rhyme or reason. Nevermind.
Frau_Blucher
Room at the Top

Postby marie3 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:19 am

I don't remember 120 minutes at all. I still will see a decent 80's new wave/punk video on VH1 Classics every now and then. Many of them I have never seen before.
Jumpshift, do you have access to VH1 Classics? They have an "Alternative" hour on Wednesdays and Thursdays (or two hours on Sundays) that sometimes plays pretty good stuff. Check it out if you can.
marie3
Der Kommissar

Postby DayGloJo » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:56 am

Oh God, I used to live for 120 minutes. It was the reason I bought a VCR. It didn't air until Midnight on Sunday nights on the east coast and I had to get up for work on Monday. That was the first place I ever saw NIN, Sonic Youth and Dinosaur, Jr. Unfortunately, I didn't save all the shows I taped. I'd usually watch it and then tape over. I'm sure I have a few tapes I saved around someplace. I'll have to look and see whatt kind of condition they're in.

DayGloJo
DayGloJo
The Jet Set

Postby ghosty » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:14 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by chud69[/i]
<br>Actually, 120 Minutes is still on, but only on MTV 2. I don't have MTV 2 but I'm sure the show sucks. It became such a joke in the last years it was on MTV, who cares anymore? I have the very first episode on tape as well as another from the same year of 1986. It really was a great show at the time. If anyone wants to trade tapes, let me know!

[/quote]

Now it's my turn to respond to an old post.:}
"120 Minutes" morphed into "Subterranean" on MTV2 where it airs every Sunday night. While nowhere near as fun as the original (mainly because host Jim Schreer is about as clueless as Dave Kendall but affects an "aw shucks, I'm so low-key and harmless" attitude) it by no means "sucks". You'll find videos for Interpol, The Bravery, Stellastarr, New Order, Morrissey, Morningwood etc..... and most of the so-called "Next Wave" bands praised elsewhere on the board. Unless of course you're part of the "all music sucks after I turned 30" contingent in which case you'll probably hate it.
Don't worry about being bombarded by videos from Pearl Jam and Soul Asylum. "Subterranean" rarely goes back further than last year. Those old Grunge videos are mixed in with the old 80's videos on VH1 Classic's "The Alternative".
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby ghosty » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:18 am

[quote][i]Originally posted by ghosty[/i]
[/quote]

Don't worry about being bombarded by videos from Pearl Jam and Soul Asylum. "Subterranean" rarely goes back further than last year. Those old Grunge videos are mixed in with the old 80's videos on VH1 Classic's "The Alternative".

[/quote]

Actually I wish they did'nt mix them in with the 80's videos. They should have two seperate programs back to back so I can relive my teens with the New Wave videos and get nostalgic for my 20's with the Grunge videos. Hey VH1 Classic...can you please alter your programming to my very specific demands. Thanks.[:D]
ghosty
Room at the Top

Postby djcraig » Thu Nov 03, 2005 9:51 am

There were at least a couple of official "120 Minutes" compilation cd's put out back in the day. I got them a long time ago. You may be able to track them down if you look.
djcraig
Room at the Top

Postby Borneojimy » Fri Nov 04, 2005 6:28 am

I used to watch 120 Minutes, but Night Flight was always one of my favorites. Damn, I wish I had a VCR back in the early 80s. Anybody remember Rockworld or Hollywood Heartbeat?
Borneojimy
The Jet Set

Postby LovePlusOne » Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:00 am

maybe somebody can help me...I could have sworn MTV had a New-Wave/indie/Alternative show back in the late 80s called "Post Modern" that came on Sunday nights. Does anybody remember this? Maybe it was VH-1. So long ago...
LovePlusOne
Take On Me

Next

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions