Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

unusual choices for best song of the 80s

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

unusual choices for best song of the 80s

Postby xymox970 » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:08 pm

I have just watched an episode of Choose 80s interviews with DJ Mike Read and Neil Fox and when asked when is their favorite song of the 80s
I was really surprised with Mike Read`s choice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcoZZp7DFec

He chose Icicle Works - Hollow Horse (1984) as his favorite song of the entire decade.

If there was a man who knows his music from the era that would certainly be him, but from all the more / less known major / minors hits of the decade, it seems kind of unusual to choose a song that only reached no.91 of the singles chart in October 1984 as your no.1 choice of the entire decace.

My favorite single of their has always been Love Is A Wonderful Color, but Hollow Horse certainly comes close second.

Which brings me a point that I am curious about......do you know any other musicians / DJs / producers of the era who have made their choices public ?
xymox970
The Jet Set

Re: unusual choices for best song of the 80s

Postby oldwaver2 » Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:25 am

What I found out to be the case when interviewing musicians and industry people in the 80s, is that most musicians say they don't listen to or like their contemporaries' music. They either see it as competition or they're wrapped up in their own music. Most musicians will cite their early influences and/or the bands they grew up listening to before they became established artists themselves. It is rare to see or hear an established artist cite a current peer's work as a favorite. It may be different as the years go by and the competition has subsided and they have established their place in music history. You should email some of these people and ask them that very question. I've spoken to many of these people through email these days when I couldn't get an interview with the artist back in the 80's.
oldwaver2
Take On Me

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions