Site Announcements

View the results of the New Wave Outpost 20th Anniversary Top Songs Poll here:
http://www.nwoutpost.com/poll/results

Coming Soon: Top Albums Poll. Stay tuned!

Welcome to the new forum!
If you are a previously registered user, you must do the following:

1) Click on 'I forgot my password' at the login prompt
2) Enter your username and email you registered with and submit
3) You will receive an email with an activation link. Please click it and then log in using the random password provided
4) Go to your User Control Panel and click on the Profile tab
5) Click on 'Edit Account Settings' and enter your new password twice followed by the random password provided earlier. Click Submit.
6) That's it...you're back in! You may have to log in again with your new password.

If you forgot your email address, please email me (MikeP) at: mikepaulsen12@gmail.com

Note: you must now use bb code buttons in the Post form for embedded images, YouTube videos, etc.
For example, to post embedded YouTube videos: paste in the link (e.g., http://www.youtube.com/watch?XYZ1234567), highlight it and then click the YouTube button.

Article on the Police's debut album

New Wave/Punk music, culture, genres, memories. '80s revivalism and other relevant topics.

Article on the Police's debut album

Postby oldnewwaver » Sun Nov 07, 2021 10:22 am

great article on the Police's "Outlandos D'Amour" debut record

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/ ... but-album/
oldnewwaver
Personal Jesus

Re: Article on the Police's debut album

Postby Bullion » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:31 pm

Interesting article , thank you for sharing. I think that 'Outlandos D' Amor' , appearing in Britain towards the end of 1978 , was quite a significant release. The Police understood the energy of punk , they were heavily influenced by reggae, they seemed to have an awareness of the growing interest in the Mod scene, which soon developed into a full scale revival. The Police also had that extra edge. In the day when the BBC had such a great influence on what music could appear on television and radio, the band got into trouble with some of the singles, such as 'Roxanne' ( about a prostitute) , and 'Can't get Used to Losing You' ( which appeared to reference suicide ) .
I've thought that The Clash's version of 'Police and Thieves' , originally written by Junior Murvin as a reggae track, was a major influence on The Police's sound. Appeared on the first Clash album in 1977 , and was ground breaking for it's time.
Bullion
Switchin' to Glide

Postby geoffolehane » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:00 pm

I'm a fan of the 1970's art rock band Renaissance. A few years ago, Annie Haslam of Renaissance announced that the master tapes from one of their albums got erased and the tape was used by the Police to record their first album. So, in effect, we lost some great music but got some new great music.
geoffolehane
The Jet Set

Postby schwenko » Fri Aug 19, 2022 6:30 pm

geoffolehane wrote:I'm a fan of the 1970's art rock band Renaissance. A few years ago, Annie Haslam of Renaissance announced that the master tapes from one of their albums got erased and the tape was used by the Police to record their first album. So, in effect, we lost some great music but got some new great music.

Renaissance will play a concert at NYC's Town Hall in October!
Sugoi !!!
schwenko
Room at the Top

Return to General New Wave & '80s Discussions